Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Groundhopping

Comments

• Options
    Badger said:
    My games this week

Thursday  - Chertsey Town 4-2 CB Hounslow United
    Friday - Worthing 1-1 Tonbridge Angels
    Saturday Malvern Town 6-0 Smethwick Rangers

On Monday i shall be going to East Thurrock United v Welling United.

Do they still do programmes?
  • Options
    Badger said:
    My games this week

Do they still do programmes?
    Yes, 
    Chertsey was included with the admission price, Worthing programme was £2 and Malvern Town was £1.50 
  • Options
    Badger said:
    My games this week

I’ll see you at Thurrock tomorrow mate.
    I shall be going on the Coach from the ground.
  • Options
    Badger said:
    My games this week

Golfie is not going to be happy with you two missing out on our game to do this!
  • Options
    Badger said:
    Badger said:
    My games this week

I shall be going on the Coach from the ground.
    Same here
  • Options
    edited April 2019

The first game of a double header for @shirty5 and myself yesterday.

This was the final league game in the National Conference.  Fylde are in the play-offs and getting ready for the FA Trophy Final against Orient on the 19th May, Halifax had nothing to play for as settled mid table.

Halifax won 2-0 but should have had more as they run rings round the Fylde defence, particularly in the play-offs.

A very nice ground, a shame that there was not a song sung from the home support, leaving it to the 400 plus from West Yorkshire to liven up the atmosphere.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

AFC Blackpool v Prestwich Heys was our second game, a 15 minutes taxi from Fylde got us here for 2.35, plenty of time to recover from the disappointment of the non delivery of programmes{!} and get the official team sheets copied from a very obliging AFC host.  They even had badges to add to my collection.

AFC Blackpool play in the Hallmark Security North West Counties, Division 1 North.

This was non-league at it's finest with it's hospitality and friendliness.  From the help given to me with the teamsheets to the the tea and biscuits brought round at half-time to the 4 old guys sitting in the chairs on the terrace in the final picture.

The ground was a little 'tired' but was the most enjoyable I have been to in a long time.

AFC won the game 1-0 in the last two minutes, a shame we missed the goal as we had to take a taxi back to Blackpool North.

A cracking day out made all the more enjoyable with the great company of fellow non-league enthusiast @shirty5

• Options
    Great photos, Elfsborg. Keep 'em coming.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Great photos, Elfsborg. Keep 'em coming.
    Cheers for the appreciation mate, will do.
  • Options
    It looks like there were more people in my house yesterday than at AFC Blackpool.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It looks like there were more people in my house yesterday than at AFC Blackpool.
    I have not seen the advertised gate but there were only about 40 braving the elements.  Around 20 stayed in the clubhouse.

Normally I would attend games of around 50 people, so yesterday was no different.

Will I be able to get you to tag along one day to my world on a Saturday?
  • Options
    I watched Buxton draw 2-2 with Warrington Town. Decent crowd of 943 with about 200 from Warrington, good atmosphere and entertaining game played in wet and windy conditions.
  • Options
    @shirty5
    AFC Blackpool v Prestwich Heys was our second game, a 15 minutes taxi from Fylde got us here for 2.35, plenty of time to recover from the disappointment of the non delivery of programmes{!} and get the official team sheets copied from a very obliging AFC host.  They even had badges to add to my collection.

AFC Blackpool play in the Hallmark Security North West Counties, Division 1 North.

This was non-league at it's finest with it's hospitality and friendliness.  From the help given to me with the teamsheets to the the tea and biscuits brought round at half-time to the 4 old guys sitting in the chairs on the terrace in the final picture.

The ground was a little 'tired' but was the most enjoyable I have been to in a long time.

AFC won the game 1-0 in the last two minutes, a shame we missed the goal as we had to take a taxi back to Blackpool North.

A cracking day out made all the more enjoyable with the great company of fellow non-league enthusiast @s

I bet shirty5 had to pay for the taxi
  • Options
    I have not seen the advertised gate but there were only about 40 braving the elements.  Around 20 stayed in the clubhouse.

Normally I would attend games of around 50 people, so yesterday was no different.

No chance. The "worst" I would consider would be a trip to the likes of Forest Green Rovers or Newport in order to complete the existing 92 & I doubt I'd even bother with that.

But fair play to you if that's what you enjoy.
  • Options

No chance. The "worst" I would consider would be a trip to the likes of Forest Green Rovers or Newport in order to complete the existing 92 & I doubt I'd even bother with that.

The invitation is always there mate.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    @shirty5

A cracking day out made all the more enjoyable with the great company of fellow non-league enthusiast @s

And probably the for whole day as well. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    @shirty5

And probably the for whole day as well. 
    Ffs they are all piling in.

@roseandcrown do you fancy joining in?
  • Options

Newport is a fab old ground. The second oldest in the football league I think. 
  • Options

Newport is a fab old ground. The second oldest in the football league I think. 
    Done it about 5 years ago, a pity I never did Somerton Park.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair play to the little fella.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Went to watch Aveley v Heybridge in the Play offs semi-final last night.

Swifts are managed by Julian Dicks.

Swifts won 2-0. After having 2 men sent off and Aveley had one sent off too. All in one incident. 

Complete carnage in the tunnel as the players who got sent off were going down it. Families getting involved.

Was pure gold and well worth the admission. Love the passion that non-league sides have.

Aveley are my local side with great facilities. Fair play to Swifts though as they defended resolutely and managed to get a late crucial second. Good luck to them in the final. 

Hopefully, the Addicks can do the same ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Bracknell v Cheshunt yesterday in the Bostik South Central play-off saw a convincing 3-0 away victory and promotion.

A remarkable advertised crowd of 837 was given.  Normally Bracknell get 250, but I am certain there was over a 1,000 present. 
  • Options
    Off to the Estadio Fernando Torres in Fuenlabrada today (Torres was born in the city just outside Madrid) for a crunch Segunda B game. My team, Union Adarve, need a win to realistically stay up and they are up against the top of the table team. Hoping for a miracle...
  • Options
    Off to the Estadio Fernando Torres in Fuenlabrada today (Torres was born in the city just outside Madrid) for a crunch Segunda B game. My team, Union Adarve, need a win to realistically stay up and they are up against the top of the table team. Hoping for a miracle...
    Another spanish ground with virtually no cover.  A long 90 minutes if it rains.
  • Options
    Luckily it rarely rains here!
  • Options
    Luckily it rarely rains here!
    And not much need for coats.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Bonus game!

Sandareds v Rydboholms in a Division 4 South game was played two days ago.  Sandared is a small village of about 500 people based 10 minutes by car outside of Boras, Boras being about 70 kilometres from Gothenburg.

This level would be something like Kent or Sussex League level, at best.  However, this ground was a cracker, a lot of grounds in Scandinavia have a running track and do not have the character this one did.

Sandareds won 2-0 in front of a very good crowd of about 100, they even did a programme!
  • Options
    This evening I’m at the Avaya Stadium in San Jose, California to watch San Jose Earthquakes v Valladolid in one if those silly friendlies European teams play against MLS opposition (I don’t understand the point in Valladolid playing one game in front of maybe 6,000 people max and no TV broadcast). Nothing particularly special about the stadium except that, instead of a stand behind one of the goals, they have North America’s largest open air bar - my photo doesn’t do it justice but it’s a great idea and significantly better than a sofa ($12 a beer isn’t such a great idea).