Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Groundhopping

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    This evening I’m at the Avaya Stadium in San Jose, California to watch San Jose Earthquakes v Valladolid in one if those silly friendlies European teams play against MLS opposition (I don’t understand the point in Valladolid playing one game in front of maybe 6,000 people max and no TV broadcast). Nothing particularly special about the stadium except that, instead of a stand behind one of the goals, they have North America’s largest open air bar - my photo doesn’t do it justice but it’s a great idea and significantly better than a sofa ($12 a beer isn’t such a great idea). 

Were they one of the original American 'soccer' teams from the 70's?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    This evening I’m at the Avaya Stadium in San Jose, California to watch San Jose Earthquakes v Valladolid in one if those silly friendlies European teams play against MLS opposition (I don’t understand the point in Valladolid playing one game in front of maybe 6,000 people max and no TV broadcast). Nothing particularly special about the stadium except that, instead of a stand behind one of the goals, they have North America’s largest open air bar - my photo doesn’t do it justice but it’s a great idea and significantly better than a sofa ($12 a beer isn’t such a great idea). 

Yeah, they’re very proud of that fact - 1974 counts as heritage round here! 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Yeah, they’re very proud of that fact - 1974 counts as heritage round here! 

A cracking hop tbf, good work.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Managed to fit in Salford City v Stevenage before the Blackburn match yesterday (it was an early kick off). 2-0 to Salford on their first match in the Football League and a nice little ground, another one of the 92 ticked off!

All in all a good days football!

Need to do this to recomplete my 92. 

What is the nearest Station? 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    Managed to fit in Salford City v Stevenage before the Blackburn match yesterday (it was an early kick off). 2-0 to Salford on their first match in the Football League and a nice little ground, another one of the 92 ticked off!

I’m not certain, we got an Uber from Manchester Piccadilly - took 15 mins and cost about £8.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

I ticked this off last season.

The nearest train station is Piccadilly.  You have to get a bus next to Victoria station, the journey time is around 30 minutes.

For food and drink I'd say stay in Manchester and then get to the bus station for 90 minutes before kick off and that would be fine.  For a train home I'd say get something after 18.30 so you are not rushing.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

I ticked this off last season.

The nearest train station is Piccadilly.  You have to get a bus next to Victoria station, the journey time is around 30 minutes.

For food and drink I'd say stay in Manchester and then get to the bus station for 90 minutes before kick off and that would be fine.  For a train home I'd say get something after 18.30 so you are not rushing.
    https://youtu.be/KnPL5OXSBNE
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Newport Pagnell v Harpenden yesterday in the Spartan South Midlands League finished 2-4.

For this level there was a very decent crowd of around 150, 95% disappointed by the easy win for Harpenden.  A very pleasant ground as long as you are prepared to visit the not so pleasant Milton Keynes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dunstable Town v Chipping Sodbury in an FA Cup extra preliminary game yesterday.

Dunstable's road to Wembley began with an easy 3-2 victory.

A rather uninspiring ground in a very uninspiring town.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Maccabi London Lions v Ampthill in the Spartan South Midlands Division 1 was yesterday's latest tick.

A very basic ground but based in Chipping Barnet which had some wonderful propertys as I made my way to the ground.

Maccabi had enough chances to have won three games but squandered them to allow Ampthill to win 2-1.  At this level, the crowd of 27 was not surprising.

For a programme collector it was great to find one of these at the turnstile, they advertise an online programme but produce a few paper programmes for the odd collector and hopper that they get at the games.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Ampthill v Hillingdon Borough yesterday in the Spartan South Midlands League Division 1.

Ampthill won this game in a canter, 5-1, and was enjoyed by a crowd of 61(par for the course at this level).

The home club could not have been more accommodating.  I was at their game the previous week away to London Lions, and spoke to a couple of officials who advised that they only do online programmes.  They did say that they would have two ready for me and my friend when I said I was going to the Hillingdon game.  During the week I managed to make contact with the club and I was told that they had produced 3 programmes for the game, seemingly because of us going.  These were duly picked up behind the bar.

Non League football at it's finest.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Alfold v Pagham yesterday in the Sussex League Premier Division.

A cracking game finished 2-0 to Alfold, on chances missed this match could easily have seen 7 or 8 goals but Pagham's finishing was so poor they could have played till midnight and still not got a goal.

A headcount of 75 scorced in temperatures of 30plus.
  • Options

Southwick v Billingshurst on Saturday in the FA Vase.

A rather run down ground, but still very appealing, saw 34 fans witness a shocking game won by Billingshurst.  A great result  for them as they had conceded 16 goals in 4 games.
  • Options
    I went to Concord v Welling on Saturday. Drove down and took my daughter to the funfair and amusements at the Canvey seafront in the morning, picnic by the beach then onto the game in the afternoon. Reasonable little ground with a decent looking bar. A good day all round apart from Welling, who were f*****g awful.
  • Options
    Sevenoaks Town v Whitstable on Saturday, great setting with trees and grass banks surrounding half the stadium. Another astro turf pitch, bad injury for Sevenoaks no.10 who caught studs in astroturf. Sevenoaks boardroom situated behind one of the goals in a wooden shed/summer house. Good 4-0 win for home side. Off to Slough Town v Hemel national lge south or Burnham v slimbridge fa cup tomorrow night.
  • Options
    I went to Concord v Welling on Saturday. Drove down and took my daughter to the funfair and amusements at the Canvey seafront in the morning, picnic by the beach then onto the game in the afternoon. Reasonable little ground with a decent looking bar. A good day all round apart from Welling, who were f*****g awful.
    Is the caravan park still next to the ground?
  • Options
    Yes mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes mate.
    Otto not allow you to rent his for the night then?
  • Options
    Capershotts (possibly the 2nd nearest ground to the M25)

Waltham Abbey 2 Canvey Island 2 (FAC 1st Qual)

• Options
    Stig said:

It's a nice little ground.  Do they still produce a programme?
  • Options
    edited September 2019

A very jolly @shirty5 and midget witnessed a cracking afternoons football at Rayners Lane yesterday.

Rayners Lane v Ampthill in the Spartan South Midlands League Division 1 finished 3-3, the finishing of a few goals would not have been out of place in the professional game.

It is a very strange set up.  With the works going on there is no turnstiles/people waiting to collect your money.  People just walked into the social club, bought food and drink and watched the game from the seating area outside.  We were then asked for our money by a guy with an ice cream container asking if we were spectators or using the bar area! We could have watched for free.

Upon finding out a programme was not produced I found an offical who had the team sheets and he very kindly allowed me to get them printed, on returning them to him from reception we had a little chat about last seasons game being called off even though they have a 3g pitch.  He told me the cost of laying the pitch was 450K, a lot of money.
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Do enjoy this thread. Thank you @ElfsborgAddick and others
      Pleased you do @Stewart most of my buddies take the piddle out of me with the groundhopping.

What do other posters on here experience with their mates?
  • Options
    Stig said:

It's a nice little ground.  Do they still produce a programme?
    Yes, but I didn't buy one. One way (almost certainly the only way) I've benefitted from the Duck Shit regime is that I've learned I no longer need them. 
  • Options

I'd be really disappointed if they didn't call themselves The Ampthill Mob.

Stewart said:
      Pleased you do @Stewart most of my buddies take the piddle out of me with the groundhopping.

I've never had the piddle taken, but I'm not sure I do enough ground hopping for anyone to take much notice. For me, I'm either tagging along with mates anyway or using it as a way of filling up an evening in some lonely northern outpost when working away. 
  • Options
    Stewart said:

A & O