Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Russian Hooligans guarantee threat of violence to England fans

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2017

SDAddick said:

Violent nationalists threaten nationalist violence shock.

Can I ask why this deserved a flag? I don't think he was referring to the English fans as "Nationalists," simply the Russian fans. I don't think that's too far of a stretch...
    Why did you bring England fans into it then?

Just asking
    Because the sentence structure was a little awkward, and I had to read it a couple times to figure out if Where'sMeTicket was referring to England fans as nationalists. But, as he explains above, he wasn't. And it's pretty clear if you read the sentence carefully-but as I said I was unsure the first time I read it.

Bloody Guardianistas with their boot on the throat of the working man and their slightly awkward sentences (he says calling the kettle black)!!!!!!!
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Can I ask why this deserved a flag? I don't think he was referring to the English fans as "Nationalists," simply the Russian fans. I don't think that's too far of a stretch...

Just asking
    Because the sentence structure was a little awkward
    How dare you.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Just asking
    Because the sentence structure was a little awkward
    How dare you.
    That's my first flag!!! How.Dare.You!!!!!!! Dueling pistols at dawn!

Also, I have literally had people flag me and PM me (rightly so) because I wrote a sentence so awkward that it looked like I was accusing them of something I was accusing someone else of.

Just the above sentence is proof! I don't know what it says either!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I'm still considering going, I was in Marseille and managed to largely avoid any violence so hopefully touch wood and all that I can do the same in Russia...

Big difference avoiding a few thousand Russians in a city in France and being surrounded by millions of them in the middle of Russia for a week...
    It was probably only a few hundred in France but fully expect it to be state sponsored to a couple of thousand on their home turf with weapons. England fans, those not wanting trouble, really need to stick together for health and safety reasons. Our country will always show up in their thousands abroad even without the hooligans.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    2026 World Cup is going to the Americas without any shadow of a doubt.

The investigations into FIFA began not because the English press kicked up a stink but because the United States also got screwed in the same bid and they got their FBI to look into it, had they been given the 2022 competition over Qatar then Blatter would still be in charge.

By giving them the 2026 World Cup is an exact follow on to when South Africa were awarded the 2010 World Cup after they in turn were screwed over by FIFA and Germany for the 2006 attempt to host.
  • Options
    brighton lads also fought back against the 15/20 mob and then for there troubles all recieved lifetime bans from brighton fc, i watched what happened and admittedly a sandwich board over someones head isnt just throwing a punch but it was about 3 against 15.
  • Options

brighton lads also fought back against the 15/20 mob and then for there troubles all recieved lifetime bans from brighton fc, i watched what happened and admittedly a sandwich board over someones head isnt just throwing a punch but it was about 3 against 15.

I know the exact people you are talking about.
  • Options
    @SouthWest_Addicks 3 quite big fellas? in the big sqaure away from main bars?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Btw @len90 not having a go at you just that chat does my head in.
  • Options
    ......all holding hands :wink:
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Correct - I was referring to violent Nationalist Russians. Not Russian or any nation's football fans in general. But I would certainly extend the definition to violent Nationalists of any country.

I think the reason I got a flag is because I am known to be a member of the dominant middle-class Guardian-reading leftwing elite that sneeringly dominates this forum, grinding the faces of the genuine working class into the mud, and it is understandable to assume that I will take any opportunity to denigrate the English on the grounds that we are responsible for everything, or something like that.

Your honesty is very much appreciated.

• Options
    edited February 2017

Id like to see it in Canada. Stunning country that could afford to keep its infrastructure after the tournament.

And lets not forget their legendary love and knowledge of all things 'Soccer' which is of course universally acknowledged.
    Aghem!
  • Options

Putin's middle name is Vladimirovich?

Is that like being called John Johnson Smith?

It's a rather common Russian naming custom to have a middle name as your father's name then -ovich, even if your father has the same name as you.
  • Options

Id like to see it in Canada. Stunning country that could afford to keep its infrastructure after the tournament.

The Women's World Cup was in Canada 18 months ago. A very nice country, but as is the case with the states, it's a pretty massive country. It makes for long travel times (flights) between matches. Also, they have some pretty big stadiums, but I don't know if they have quite enough for a Men's World Cup, especially if you wanted to keep groups within a certain region (as opposed to say, the US where you could keep a group on the West Coast playing in LA, Bay Area, Seattle, and maybe even Portland).

Lastly, they put in 3G pitches for the tournament, which was an abomination. I don't know that they'd do that for a men's World Cup though.

I may be being US-centric with this.
  • Options
    Let's hope that the Donald can make peace with Putin well before then and send in the US Marines to sort out the Moscovite 'OOligans
  • Options
    len90 said:

I know a few people who were there. They said the only England fans who stood and fought were Millwall, Portsmouth and Luton. Leeds were the first to run away.

Love it.
  • Options
    The Trump Putin love in will not last that long.
    When they have a falling out (and it will happen )The world cup gets played in England.
    Anyone got the Wembley number
  • Options

just thought it surprises me Australia have never had it

I think the Australians were were a little surprised as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They still aint finished paying for Montreal 1976
  • Options

When they have a falling out (and it will happen )The world cup gets played in England.

That won't result in a world cup my friend. That will result in a world war.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

That won't result in a world cup my friend. That will result in a world war.
    Let's hope not
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Quite an interesting programme.
    Of course there was the obligatory Millwall sign in one of the Russian firm's dens! Edit: I don't mean anything by this, just made me laugh!

Alarming though to see the level of violence and organisation of hooliganism in Russia and I expect there will be big issues despite the clamp down from the government.

How anyone can aim to hurt another human is beyond me. Condemn anyone who take part in hooliganism and I include the minority of some of our lot who throw coins and smash up toilets at some away games. Sincerely hope football doesn't go back to the dark days (slightly getting off topic I know).

Good luck to anyone going to Russia by the way. Sincerely hope you'll be safe.
  • Options
    The organised stuff has been going on for years and not just in Russia. The same stories came out about Poland before the euros over there. I doubt much will happen during the world cup, the police are already gearing up for it. France were woefully underprepared for last year and it's just another mark against them and their security and policing infrastructure.
  • Options

I'd love it out here, not least because I could go, but at least some of the stadiums would need to be dual purpose. Not enough interest in the club game to warrant 50,000 + soccer specific stadiums. Could certainly be done though, and I think there is ambition to host a world cup. Hosting the women's world cup a couple of years ago was supposed to be something of a trial run for hosting a major international tournament. I went to a couple of the games in Edmonton, the standard was what is was, but the atmosphere was good and they sold a lot of tickets.

Anyone going to Russia wants their brains testing. The TV audience will be as high as ever I am sure (I'll be watching where the time difference allows), but I'd like to see people boycotting travelling to see games live on both moral and safety grounds.
  • Options
    Having watched that, I wouldn't go to the World Cup for sure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08flw2v/this-world-russias-hooligan-army
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

The Women's World Cup was in Canada 18 months ago. A very nice country, but as is the case with the states, it's a pretty massive country. It makes for long travel times (flights) between matches. Also, they have some pretty big stadiums, but I don't know if they have quite enough for a Men's World Cup, especially if you wanted to keep groups within a certain region (as opposed to say, the US where you could keep a group on the West Coast playing in LA, Bay Area, Seattle, and maybe even Portland).

Lastly, they put in 3G pitches for the tournament, which was an abomination. I don't know that they'd do that for a men's World Cup though.

I may be being US-centric with this.
    You could relatively easily have western and eastern groups. Say set it up so one set of group games are rotated around between Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary and set up another set to rotate between, say, Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal, maybe add Winnipeg and Hamilton to those as well. It is a massive country, but most of it is empty, certainly no need to have teams cross-crossing all over the place in the group stages. Not that that stopped them doing that in Brazil which is also a bloody massive country with a lot of empty space (or at least rainforest) in the middle.