Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Russian Hooligans guarantee threat of violence to England fans

Comments

• Options

SDAddick said:

Id like to see it in Canada. Stunning country that could afford to keep its infrastructure after the tournament.

The Women's World Cup was in Canada 18 months ago. A very nice country, but as is the case with the states, it's a pretty massive country. It makes for long travel times (flights) between matches. Also, they have some pretty big stadiums, but I don't know if they have quite enough for a Men's World Cup, especially if you wanted to keep groups within a certain region (as opposed to say, the US where you could keep a group on the West Coast playing in LA, Bay Area, Seattle, and maybe even Portland).

Lastly, they put in 3G pitches for the tournament, which was an abomination. I don't know that they'd do that for a men's World Cup though.

I may be being US-centric with this.
    You could relatively easily have western and eastern groups. Say set it up so one set of group games are rotated around between Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary and set up another set to rotate between, say, Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal, maybe add Winnipeg and Hamilton to those as well. It is a massive country, but most of it is empty, certainly no need to have teams cross-crossing all over the place in the group stages. Not that that stopped them doing that in Brazil which is also a bloody massive country with a lot of empty space (or at least rainforest) in the middle.
    Look, if you're going to bring facts and geographic into play then I'm not going to engage with you.

That actually sounds entirely feasible. By the way I'm not particularly keen to have the World Cup in the States because 1) FIFA, 2) Tax free FIFA earnings, and 3) it's a bloody massive country. My comment about "The west coast group" was a bit tongue-in-cheek because the flight from LA to Seattle is like 2 1/2 hours, which isn't terrible, but it's not close either.
  • Options
    the ginger fella interviewed at the start of the program, gave me a highlight of the euros he had an inflatable spitfire plane that he was wacking some german fans over the head with it ( was having a laugh ) was a couple of days after the masses had left marseille and the english left were pretty much all around the same pub.
  • Options

just thought it surprises me Australia have never had it

They're another Country who were screwed over by the Qatar 2022 result as they put a bid in the same time... They were never favourites to host it though (that was the United States) and ended up coming bottom of the voting table.

From what I recall it wasn't the best bid from Australia anyway (think it was a bit of a mess from them actually)
  • Options

the ginger fella interviewed at the start of the program, gave me a highlight of the euros he had an inflatable spitfire plane that he was wacking some german fans over the head with it ( was having a laugh ) was a couple of days after the masses had left marseille and the english left were pretty much all around the same pub.

Bloody hell, if that was a highlight...
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

The organised stuff has been going on for years and not just in Russia. The same stories came out about Poland before the euros over there. I doubt much will happen during the world cup, the police are already gearing up for it. France were woefully underprepared for last year and it's just another mark against them and their security and policing infrastructure.

well I don't know how much solid evidence you have for that claim, but I suppose you observed, possibly through a media filter, them making mistakes you assume the British would never make. Well, firstly if you go to matches across Europe you will have the same criticisms. (Check the Spurs fans' experience in Gent last night, and Dortmund last year). Virtually every time I go to a Czech game, I shake my head at their incompetence. But that's because I have been watching the Brits slowly learning lessons over nearly 50 years.

Did I say the Brits are slowly learning? Does anyone caught in the Floyd Road funnel after the Millwall game really think we have learnt our lessons effectively?

The truth is that all police forces seem to have continuous problems in their approach to football crowds. Maybe they have difficulty, on the ground, at the pinch point, reminding themselves that 98% of the people in front of them are law abiding and just there for the footie. But at least they are ultimately accountable to the citizens who pay their salaries, via a democratic state and functioning rule of law. That will not apply to the Russian police and security services, and that's why I'm not going near the place.

• Options
    se9addick said:

Bloody hell, if that was a highlight...
    well the football hardly was was it, and being chased round marseille by algerian locals and russian ultras isnt exactly a picnic.
  • Options

Time zones are no good for Europe and South America (largest viewing market).
  • Options
    Danepak said:

To be fair that's a much better basis to make the decision on than climate, corruption, human rights records and state-sponsored violence at previous official tournaments.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Danepak said:

To be fair that's a much better basis to make the decision on than climate, corruption, human rights records and state-sponsored violence at previous official tournaments.
    Trust me, I'm no fan of FIFA either.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

The organised stuff has been going on for years and not just in Russia. The same stories came out about Poland before the euros over there. I doubt much will happen during the world cup, the police are already gearing up for it. France were woefully underprepared for last year and it's just another mark against them and their security and policing infrastructure.

well I don't know how much solid evidence you have for that claim, but I suppose you observed, possibly through a media filter, them making mistakes you assume the British would never make. Well, firstly if you go to matches across Europe you will have the same criticisms. (Check the Spurs fans' experience in Gent last night, and Dortmund last year). Virtually every time I go to a Czech game, I shake my head at their incompetence. But that's because I have been watching the Brits slowly learning lessons over nearly 50 years.

Did I say the Brits are slowly learning? Does anyone caught in the Floyd Road funnel after the Millwall game really think we have learnt our lessons effectively?

The truth is that all police forces seem to have continuous problems in their approach to football crowds. Maybe they have difficulty, on the ground, at the pinch point, reminding themselves that 98% of the people in front of them are law abiding and just there for the footie. But at least they are ultimately accountable to the citizens who pay their salaries, via a democratic state and functioning rule of law. That will not apply to the Russian police and security services, and that's why I'm not going near the place.

what happened to Spurs fans in Gent ?
  • Options
    the only thing that slightly annoyed me last night is that the opening bit was straight away putting the blame on England fans, "it wasn't a long time before England hooliganism reared its ugly head " they then showed a video of England fans singing, the same as with every other nation.
  • Options
    I think anybody who even gives the slightest consideration to going need their bumps feeling.
  • Options

the only thing that slightly annoyed me last night is that the opening bit was straight away putting the blame on England fans, "it wasn't a long time before England hooliganism reared its ugly head " they then showed a video of England fans singing, the same as with every other nation.

Exactly.
    They even went on and dug out footage of millwall in the 80's. The BBC is slowly becoming more and more of a joke.

• Options
    Fiiish said:

colthe3rd said:

They were forced to watch Spurs.

Yeah, I'd hate to watch that Spurs team. They are so awful, aren't they?

Rochdale away anyone?
  • Options

Fiiish said:

colthe3rd said:

They were forced to watch Spurs.

Yeah, I'd hate to watch that Spurs team. They are so awful, aren't they?

Rochdale away anyone?
    Whooooooooooosh.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

The sauna scene was just weird!

What an eye opener. The Russians are busy preparing themselves for 2018 by eating crayfish, drinking fruit tea and fighting in forests. Meanwhile Grimsby's top boys are busy getting mashed up in Cleethorpes Spoons on 1.99 Stella.

Going to be carnage.

It is the hooligan equivalent of Rocky IV
    Except we'll have Tyson Fury instead of Sly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Exactly.
    They even went on and dug out footage of millwall in the 80's. The BBC is slowly becoming more and more of a joke.

Nah. Worth every penny of the forced licence fee.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

What an eye opener. The Russians are busy preparing themselves for 2018 by eating crayfish, drinking fruit tea and fighting in forests. Meanwhile Grimsby's top boys are busy getting mashed up in Cleethorpes Spoons on 1.99 Stella.

Going to be carnage.

Best post ever.
  • Options
    Unless you come through the port at St Peter's don't you need a visa?

This may have been covered above...
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Unless you come through the port at St Peter's don't you need a visa?

This may have been covered above...

No visas throughout tournament
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Going to be carnage.

I know who my money will be on....
  • Options
    Always wanted to visit Russia, so travelled through there by train about 15 years ago. I have to say they're the least hospitable people I've come across in my travels. They're more insular than Montanna freemen. Though on the train from Irkutsk to Mosscow a man insisted on offering me a pickled gherkin for breakfast most mornings: In daylight, and Russians don't seem to operate with euphemasims just Vodka.

I've been to a Russian wedding and they were great early doors on the Vodka. The bride's father was bloody imposing, and we were told not to mention Afghanistan or his missing fingers. Ok people celebrating, still collectively and willfully politically delusional.

I'd go back but only with Russian friends, and certainly not to football matches.
  • Options
    Modern day Russia is a mafia state run by gangsters. Avoid the place like the plague.
  • Options
    I would not want to be getting knicked over there at all, pretty much certain to be made an example of