Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Russian Hooligans guarantee threat of violence to England fans

124»

Comments

• Options
    That programme has really put the Mrs in a tissy about our cruise from St Petersburg to Moscow in August. Someone above mentioned no visas during the World Cup. We have to get a visa which includes going to the Russian Embassy for fingerprinting. Terrific.
  • Options
    Christ just watched on i-player.

Anyone thinking of going to the world cup needs their head examined.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Similar doc was released before Euro 2012 about the Ukrainians and Poles. Even that twat Sol Cambell piped up that people will come home in coffins.

I've been to both Countries with England in qualifiers and they both have the potential for being very dodgy and I'd suggest Russia is arguably worst.

But everyone came home from Euro 2012 and apart from the first few days it was relatively peaceful.

It could be dodgy but let's not get drawn into ott scare mongering based on one of these ridiculous documentaries.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

The organised stuff has been going on for years and not just in Russia. The same stories came out about Poland before the euros over there. I doubt much will happen during the world cup, the police are already gearing up for it. France were woefully underprepared for last year and it's just another mark against them and their security and policing infrastructure.

well I don't know how much solid evidence you have for that claim, but I suppose you observed, possibly through a media filter, them making mistakes you assume the British would never make. Well, firstly if you go to matches across Europe you will have the same criticisms. (Check the Spurs fans' experience in Gent last night, and Dortmund last year). Virtually every time I go to a Czech game, I shake my head at their incompetence. But that's because I have been watching the Brits slowly learning lessons over nearly 50 years.

Did I say the Brits are slowly learning? Does anyone caught in the Floyd Road funnel after the Millwall game really think we have learnt our lessons effectively?

The truth is that all police forces seem to have continuous problems in their approach to football crowds. Maybe they have difficulty, on the ground, at the pinch point, reminding themselves that 98% of the people in front of them are law abiding and just there for the footie. But at least they are ultimately accountable to the citizens who pay their salaries, via a democratic state and functioning rule of law. That will not apply to the Russian police and security services, and that's why I'm not going near the place.

what happened to Spurs fans in Gent ?
    This is the Twitter feed of Martin Cloake of Spurs Trust. No violence, just sounds like, as he wrote, the Belgians are clueless. (of course I tweeted him that I had been telling him that for ages :-) )

• Options
    Two things I've concluded from watching that documentary... (a) someone is going to die at the 2018 World Cup and (b) it's 60 minutes of my life I'll never get back
  • Options
    not to be messed with
    they are proper nasty
    you have to be well'ard wall fans to want to mess with them
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    _MrDick said:

Two things I've concluded from watching that documentary... (a) someone is going to die at the 2018 World Cup

Just watching it now and I agree. This is going to be a disaster and when someone dies it will be lapped up by these fucking nazis as a thing to be proud of and FIFA will wring their hands and move on to the next profitable venture.
  • Options
    I think Putin will put the frighteners on them and there will be a massive massive armed police / army presence to stop any threat of violence embarrassing the country.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I think Putin will put the frighteners on them and there will be a massive massive armed police / army presence to stop any threat of violence embarrassing the country.

I'm not sure I have any faith that the will is there to prevent it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

My worry is that the police and army under Putin will act on the basis that English fans are the threat...

• Options

MrOneLung said:

My worry is that the police and army under Putin will act on the basis that English fans are the threat...

Pretty much this. Or that a stitch up will be conducted in which the flower of Russian manhood (sic) will be allowed free access to a few fans that are stupid/drunk enough to mouth off / act up.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Pretty much this. Or that a stitch up will be conducted in which the flower of Russian manhood (sic) will be allowed free access to a few fans that are stupid/drunk enough to mouth off / act up.
    or both those scenarios...

• Options

MrOneLung said:

No match for when we get the white plastic garden furniture out.
  • Options
    'pioneer' a new sport' lol ...sorry mate, we did that decades ago :wink:
  • Options
    Next they will want to legalise doping.
  • Options
    Banter?
  • Options
    It could be our only chance to get to the semi finals?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's the Liberal Democrats for you.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Following a Twitter exchange where a guy was highlighting Russian fans protesting BBC "lies",

I was pointed towards this article, and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the argument. It seems to be the work of activist and relatively liberal minded CSKA Moscow fans, and two ex Charlton players are name checked in it.

That said, though, and as I have tweeted back, the article completely avoids one crucial topic: Marseille...
  • Options
    Thanks for the link @PragueAddick . An interesting read - let's hope he represents the vast majority of Russians.
  • Options
    Well they certainly got the BBC taped!
  • Options
    This video is another compelling attempt to present a more positive picture of the prospects for Russia 18. Still a bit suspicious, myself. Not of the people in this film, I am sure they are genuine. But I think if for some reason Tim Farron and Caroline Lucas got together to make a "Save Millwall" film, it would look something like this..
  • Options
    as Napoleon and Hitler found out .. there is NO WAY to win a war in Moscow

https://youtu.be/2SD6qQWxMrM