Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tony Watt

Comments

• No-one wishes TW ill. He is far from being a fool nor is he in any sense a hopeless case. He is a personable young man (with due allowance for the confirmed limp hand-shake) and he does indeed remember his time at Charlton with affection. Sadly he is one of a sizeable number of players and coaches whose time at The Valley was blighted by Network factors - under a more stable regime, perhaps with a manager such as SCP, his story could have been quite different.

Nonetheless it is what it is. He is well enough self-aware and yet cannot resist either bravado or self pity in his very public persona. He is far from being a model, dedicated professional. Time, then, to move on. He craves the spotlight, so why not, in all his many periods of injury and idleness, prepare himself for a media career?

He scrubs up well enough. There are agencies to guide and represent him, and to keep him busy. He could develop his interests in gaming, in sports and in film - three possible career paths. Instead he wants to doss. From family and friends he is in pressing need of some tough love. Such as LB and JJ would have the career experience and personality to be excellent mentors but maybe a lot of people have lost patience with him.

His early fame is now casting a very long shadow but in his mind he will always be number 32, which is why he has carried it from club to club. Tone is still young and has a bit of time on his side, but if he is not careful he will squander everything. That really would be a great pity.
  • I was buzzing when we signed him but the reality soon set in. I felt he was more in the Holmes/Fosu mould.....attacking midfielfer who could run at defences, open them up & either score from 20 yards or play someone else in. I likened him to another Scot......old ginger himself Gordon Strachan.

Sadly he is known for only 2 things......THAT goal for Celtic & keeping to ball near the corner flag for 2 mins. shouldn't trouble the archive men for too long.

• No-one wishes TW ill. He is far from being a fool nor is he in any sense a hopeless case. He is a personable young man (with due allowance for the confirmed limp hand-shake) and he does indeed remember his time at Charlton with affection. Sadly he is one of a sizeable number of players and coaches whose time at The Valley was blighted by Network factors - under a more stable regime, perhaps with a manager such as SCP, his story could have been quite different.

I'm not sure Network factors can be blamed for what happened to Watt's career. Indeed, other than the Barcelona goal, his most successful period was under Luzon with us in that first half season. He's had chances to succeed at other clubs and not taken them

I'm not sure Network factors can be blamed for what happened to Watt's career. Indeed, other than the Barcelona goal, his most successful period was under Luzon with us in that first half season. He's had chances to succeed at other clubs and not taken them
    Perhaps you are right and I'm trying a bit too hard to cut him some slack. Nonetheless the erratic and unstable regime which has done so much career damage to so many would not have been favourable territory for such a fragile character as TW.
  • edited June 2018
    This.

If you follow him you would see up until a couple of weeks ago he was going for runs and in the gym.

Whilst other footballers are suning themselves abroad he is enjoying the summer playing playstation.

Doesnt mean he isnt keeping fit or commited to finding a club he is just like every player having a few weeks off

• Then why send out such a misleading and potentially harmful message? Why risk undoing all the hard work?
    It may be just banter but it's very public. Sounds like he's realised what he's done.

• Then why send out such a misleading and potentially harmful message? Why risk undoing all the hard work?
    It may be just banter but it's very public. Sounds like he's realised what he's done.

I dont think he was.

When you see footballers tweet about being abroad with a beer on a sun lounger somewhere thats just them enjoying there summer vacation

Watt is doing exactly that enjoying his summer vacation, he just enjoys playing Playstation and not going abroad.

I dont see how thats harmful

• Because he's known for his commitment issues. This is his chosen professional career. To a prospective new club why take any risk? In fact, ffs why say anything at all?
  • I won't believe it 'til I see him post his "map my run" stats on twitter!
  • Sponsored links:

• This.

If you follow him you would see up until a couple of weeks ago he was going for runs and in the gym.

Whilst other foitballers are suning themselves abroad he is enjoying the summer playing playstation.

Doesnt mean he isnt keeping fit or commited to finding a club he is just like every player having a few weeks off
    To be fair, he is Scottish, 5 minutes in Greece and he'd turn the colour of the Hearts shirt he once wore :smile:
  • Last year in preseason we were fed the line of “he’s in the best shape of his life“ whereas in reality he was blowing out of his arse within 25 minutes

I dont think he was.

When you see footballers tweet about being abroad with a beer on a sun lounger somewhere thats just them enjoying there summer vacation

Watt is doing exactly that enjoying his summer vacation, he just enjoys playing Playstation and not going abroad.

The trouble is he is not on a summer vacation, he is unemployed. Potential employees will know of his troubled background already and if they glance at his twitter account and read he is spending his life gaming probably won’t pick up the phone to check if it is just bants.

Wish him well, hope he gets over whatever demons he has and comes back stronger for it.

I dont think he was.

The trouble is he is not on a summer vacation, he is unemployed. Potential employees will know of his troubled background already and if they glance at his twitter account and read he is spending his life gaming probably won’t pick up the phone to check if it is just bants.

Wish him well, hope he gets over whatever demons he has and comes back stronger for it.
    So just because he is unemployed he doesnt get a vacation like every other player.

I follow Tony and he was posting about running and going to the gym until the season ended.

If he didnt have a few weeks off and got a new club then come the end of the season he would be accused of burnout because he didny have a few weeks off.

If other players can I dont see why he cant just because he is unemployed ATM

I dont think he was.

So just because he is unemployed he doesnt get a vacation like every other player.

I follow Tony and he was posting about running and going to the gym until the season ended.

If he didnt have a few weeks off and got a new club then come the end of the season he would be accused of burnout because he didny have a few weeks off.

because being unemployed means you have to work doubly harder to get a new club. Most players currently sunning themselves on the beach are already attached to clubs so don't need to worry come July 1st.

I dont think he was.

Burnout??!!?? Tony Watt????!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

(breathe!)

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Let me explain about burnout. That implies someone who has overtrained, and has passed their peak of physical fitness before a ball has been kicked.

The Tony Watt I watched, has never given me the impression he's overtrained before a football match...

I dont think he was.

It's not a "vacation" if he doesn't have a club, it's just life. Plus the players who are currently on a beach have contracts at clubs that play winter seasons, there are plenty of clubs that play summer seasons that Watt could have a chance at rather than take a vacation.
  • Sponsored links:

• He'll be finished playing professional football by the time he's 30.

A shame as the talent is there, if not the application.

I dont think he was.

because being unemployed means you have to work doubly harder to get a new club. Most players currently sunning themselves on the beach are already attached to clubs so don't need to worry come July 1st.
    Yeah, but he's a pro footballer, Golfie. While he plays on his Playstation, he has an agent to find him a club.

A player just out of contract doesn't mean he has to report to the Job Centre and show evidence that he's applied for at least 50 non-existent jobs that week.

• Must be a zero hours contract job for him somewhere? Chavy sports shops are always hiring I hear.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Can people stop trying to read between lines for a message that simply is not fecking there!

Calm down you boring old farts!

Video games aren't solely for the lazy fat blokes out there anymore. Many gamer types are into fitness too...

I can turn up and run a half marathon in a decent enough amateur time, yet I can also play Destiny or Fallout for a few hours, or go away for a weekend fishing and sat on my arse...

That's what hobbies are, one to a few hours out of your day to relax and unwind in whatever way works for that day.

Your lifstyle may well keep you physically fit but does playng on game consoles keep one mentally fit and alert. Judging by the quality of your postibgs I doubt it :-)
  • DRAddick said:

Must be a zero hours contract job for him somewhere? Chavy sports shops are always hiring I hear.

Appreciate that your comment is tongue in cheek but the sad thing is that if TW can't be bothered to put it in being paid thousands a week, for a couple of hours a day playing football 10 months of the year, then I very much doubt that he would have the motivation to work in a sports shop on a zero hours contract.
  • edited June 2018
    PeterGage said:

Dazzler21 said:

Can people stop trying to read between lines for a message that simply is not fecking there!

Calm down you boring old farts!

Video games aren't solely for the lazy fat blokes out there anymore. Many gamer types are into fitness too...

I can turn up and run a half marathon in a decent enough amateur time, yet I can also play Destiny or Fallout for a few hours, or go away for a weekend fishing and sat on my arse...

That's what hobbies are, one to a few hours out of your day to relax and unwind in whatever way works for that day.

Your lifstyle may well keep you physically fit but does playng on game consoles keep one mentally fit and alert. Judging by the quality of your postibgs I doubt it :-)
    'postings'

We all know how alert referees are :wink: (depends on the size of the brown envelopes)

Yes playing on games consoles does in fact help you become more mentally fit and alert. I recommend you read this link, you might find it enlightening...

• The most gifted player we have had at Charlton since Yann left imo

He was very gifted, but he wasn't as gifted as Johann Berg Gudmundsson or Ricky Holmes IMO
  • cafctom said:

The most gifted player we have had at Charlton since Yann left imo

He was very gifted, but he wasn't as gifted as Johann Berg Gudmundsson or Ricky Holmes IMO
    Not to mention Lepoint.
  • edited June 2018

cafctom said:

The most gifted player we have had at Charlton since Yann left imo

Not to mention Lepoint.
    Or Thuram.