Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spurs v Spanners

Comments

• Options
    Got this Millwall fan at work who didn't have a ticket to the game but reckons him and a load of mates still got through the turnstiles.

Surely this can't be true?
  • Options
    GRAY9 said:

Got this Millwall fan at work who didn't have a ticket to the game but reckons him and a load of mates still got through the turnstiles.

Wouldn't be the first time it's been done but may be talking bollocks. It's harder than ever in today's modern grounds.
  • Options

GRAY9 said:

Wouldn't be the first time it's been done but may be talking bollocks. It's harder than ever in today's modern grounds.
    They did it at the Valley a few years back when they rushed the gate in between the West Stand and the away end. I seem to recall pictures of the away end that day show that you cannot see the concourses due to too many fans being in there.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Morning chaps. Ignoring all the silly b*ll*cks.

Harry Winks. 97 passes completed out of 99, 71% of them forward. Hoddlesque. As much as everyone raves about Kane and Alli, Winks is going to be some player. And chuffed for Janssen too.

No doubt we get either Ars*nal or Chelsea in the semi-final now. Sigh.

I said to my Spurs mate yesterday how well Winks played, definitely got a bit about him. Started the move for Ali's goal.
  • Options

A tough 90 minutes that, but the bookies called it. We were 18-1 to WIN, they were 16-1 to win 5-0. 6-0 must've been 20-1.

Just too good, after the first two we just faded. Shows our players how hard they need to work to get anywhere close to their level and if they get halfway there they'll be carving out a good career for themselves.

As for the fans, not been many away games with such huge numbers of home fans out for violence. The junction of Park Lane was mobbed on 3 sides with them trying to attack that group of Millwall. Another few hundred on Park Lane itself "trying" to attack Millwall as they entered the ground.

Funnily enough as plod let us all out at the same time, they weren't quite as mouthy without lines of police to hold them back. Surprised we weren't held back to let them clear things because that walk back puts people in uncomfortable situations where you may need to defend yourself and no doubt get nicked for doing so.

What I found and tend to find interesting when a top top Premier side comes up against a League one is just how much more powerful and quicker they are. Morrison will have bullied alot big oppo than the spurs back 3 but didn't seem to get much change out of them yesterday. Same in midfield with Ben Thompson, he would normally be sharper and quicker into the tackle than a lot in league one but never got a chance against Harry Winks, maybe that's a bit to do with too much respect being shown but your're right what you say, that shows how hard they must work to be top players thems
    JohnBoyUK said:

Harry Winks. 97 passes completed out of 99, 71% of them forward. Hoddlesque. As much as everyone raves about Kane and Alli, Winks is going to be some player. And chuffed for Janssen too.

Class yesterday, I said to my mate yesterday the way he passes and moves is different class, almost like Fabragas when he first emerged, whether he has the range of passing and incisiveness about his passing is another question.
  • Options

A tough 90 minutes that, but the bookies called it. We were 18-1 to WIN, they were 16-1 to win 5-0. 6-0 must've been 20-1.

Just too good, after the first two we just faded. Shows our players how hard they need to work to get anywhere close to their level and if they get halfway there they'll be carving out a good career for themselves.

As for the fans, not been many away games with such huge numbers of home fans out for violence. The junction of Park Lane was mobbed on 3 sides with them trying to attack that group of Millwall. Another few hundred on Park Lane itself "trying" to attack Millwall as they entered the ground.

Funnily enough as plod let us all out at the same time, they weren't quite as mouthy without lines of police to hold them back. Surprised we weren't held back to let them clear things because that walk back puts people in uncomfortable situations where you may need to defend yourself and no doubt get nicked for doing so.

Trouble is you carry a lot of baggage with you SSL. Not singing "No one likes us" might be a start... :wink:
  • Options
    GRAY9 said:

Happens at lots of sell out games. Liverpool & Everton are still masters at it. A few hundred must've got in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Must have been a shitty day Sparrow. TBF we would have rolled over and got done about 10 - 0. Will be interesting to see if the heavy defeat affects Millwall's confidence .
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Must have been a shitty day Sparrow. TBF we would have rolled over and got done about 10 - 0. Will be interesting to see if the heavy defeat affects Millwall's confidence .

Still a day out with family & mates on the beer, so always a good day out. Good atmosphere there too, they make a decent racket.

I'd hope it renews their focus to get the job done and at least make the play-offs. If they flake after that then it's a whole season wasted.
  • Options

Still a day out with family & mates on the beer, so always a good day out. Good atmosphere there too, they make a decent racket.

I'd hope it renews their focus to get the job done and at least make the play-offs. If they flake after that then it's a whole season wasted.
    Let's hope it's wasted then :wink:
  • Options
    edited March 2017

GRAY9 said:

Happens at lots of sell out games.
    What's a sell out game ? Not a phrase we say too much over here
  • Options
    edited March 2017

GRAY9 said:

Happens at lots of sell out games. Liverpool & Everton are still masters at it. A few hundred must've got in.
    When I used to follow England away some scousers used to basically rob their way around Europe and bunk into games.
  • Options

GRAY9 said:

When I used to follow England away some scousers used to basically rob their way around Europe and bunk into games.
    I can't remember which 80s cup final it was, but I remember footage of Liverpool fans scaling the walls at Wembley.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Uboat said:

GRAY9 said:

I can't remember which 80s cup final it was, but I remember footage of Liverpool fans scaling the walls at Wembley.
    86, Liverpool v Everton
  • Options
    I went to the Wimbledon v Liverpool FA Cup final and they were getting in everywhere
  • Options

Uboat said:

GRAY9 said:

86, Liverpool v Everton
    One watched it from the roof! There was some iconic footage of people climbing the drain pipes before jumping and getting pulled in through a window!
  • Options

Uboat said:

GRAY9 said:

86, Liverpool v Everton
    Wasn't the year when 96 people were killed?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Uboat said:

GRAY9 said:

86, Liverpool v Everton
    Wasn't the year when 96 people were killed?
    That was 89
  • Options
    GRAY9 said:

As we was walking towards the turnstiles some one pulled open a big double door and hundreds streamed through. I went through there myself even though I had a ticket as it was quicker than queueing up at the turnstiles. I didn't even get my ticket out of my wallet all day.

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Ha, I actually watched the whole game and never knew you had a player called Harry Winks until this post. I know so little about football now it is frightening!
  • Options

I hate it when Millwall fans sound all reasonable and articulate, ruins the stereotype.
  • Options

What I found and tend to find interesting when a top top Premier side comes up against a League one is just how much more powerful and quicker they are. Morrison will have bullied alot big oppo than the spurs back 3 but didn't seem to get much change out of them yesterday. Same in midfield with Ben Thompson, he would normally be sharper and quicker into the tackle than a lot in league one but never got a chance against Harry Winks, maybe that's a bit to do with too much respect being shown but your're right what you say, that shows how hard they must work to be top players thems
    JohnBoyUK said:

Class yesterday, I said to my mate yesterday the way he passes and moves is different class, almost like Fabragas when he first emerged, whether he has the range of passing and incisiveness about his passing is another question.
    It's definitely the speed of the game - that's the big difference every time you drop down a level.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I hate it when Millwall fans sound all reasonable and articulate, ruins the stereotype.
    We have tamed a couple on here. In their natural environment they'd be wearing flat caps and hunting spuds in no time!
  • Options
    Went to the Liverpool v Bruges European Cup Final at Wembley in 78. The mickeys were going under the turnstiles as their mate presented a ticket or got the turnstile operator into a conversation. I'd never seen that before.

Muppets who climbed the steps to the turnstiles with their tickets in their hands, stood a good chance of having them snatched. There were groups of fifty or so scallies hanging around the turnstiles waiting for opportunities to nick a ticket or bunk in. The best thing to do, was keep you ticket in your sock right up to the turnstile hatch, then bend down to get it out.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

But thankfully Liverpool fans didn't behave like that at Hillsborough otherwise they may have some responsibility for what happened.
    Apparently the only big game that Liverpool fans didn't turn up in numbers without tickets and try and force their way in causing a crush.....That was lucky. What's the odds eh?

I'll bite.

The Taylor report says a lot did bunk in, however, this wasn't a significant factor that contributed to the disaster. I have a feeling you're already aware of that.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Sounds like same ole 'Wall to me. Trouble was all the other team and they bottled it when we turned up in numbers. They just can't help being what they are.