Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post MatchThread: Charlton v Bradford

Comments

• Options
    Wondering if Port Vale have it in them to do the kind of run in we did under Riga the first time round. And we are only 4 points off Oldham who are in the last safe position.
  • Options
    Missed this as unwell.

1 point nearer safety. Three or four more 1-1 draws should do it
  • Options
    Thought second half was probably the best we played this season although we were really bad in the first half and lucky to get a goal. We created a lot of chances but wasted so many clear cut opportunities. Thought Ulvestad had a good game as did Holmes. Novak and Watt worked their socks off but both missed easy chances. Liked the way Bradford knocked it about and if they had a decent striker would have caused us a problem in the first half. Very enjoyable game in a drab season. Can't see us going down, we'll draw our way to safety. Bring on new owners who get someone in to build a competitive squad.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Missed this as unwell.

1 point nearer safety. Three or four more 1-1 draws should do it

Get well soon
  • Options
    Excellent 2nd half. What a player Holmes is.

A lot of players put in a proper shift.
  • Options
    First half was poor, nothing to cheer the depressingly low crowd. However second half i really enjoyed it. Great effort by everyone, much more attacking threat and the whole crowd got behind the team.
    Bradford wern't great but i seem to say that about every team in this league. MOM Ricky Holmes.
  • Options
    Credit where it's due, excellent second half performance. Well done Tony Watt, for once couldn't fault his work rate, and well done Jacko - solid performance and a constant threat at corners. Wish that free kick had gone in.

The rare luxury of not having anything to moan about.

Belgians out.
  • Options
    Second half was probably our best 45 this season - very unlucky not to win. Bradford looked decent in the first 45 and knocked the ball about well.

Nice to enjoy a game.....
  • Options
    Crackin second half performance full of passion and commitment, yes we missed chance but for once we created chances.Watt looked very good running at them,Novak put a shift in, and why the fuck has he not given the mascot (Da Silva) more of a chance looked very good when he came on.
  • Options
    First time in ages that I have actually enjoyed a game of football at The Valley (second half only) and I didn't want the game to finish! The players played for eachother and the shirt tonight! Some very pleasing signs from tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apart from the come back against Bristol the best we have played in a long while
  • Options
    Two words. Much. Better.
  • Options
    PWR.

I can report that we were rather unlucky not to win, if we had it would have been 'deserved', and had we lost it would have been harsh. however the two teams who love to draw, drew.
    I am sorry to say that Rudd was at fault for Bradfords equaliser, but their keeper wasn't exactly wonderful for Tex's goal.
    In the first half Bradford were relatively profligate in the final third which helped us to relax, and in the second half we dominated to the point where their players were digging each other out on occasion.
    To my mind defensively we were OK, and that is to credit Chicksen for having to start out of position, and Lewis Page was slightly improved until his injury. I thought that Bauer and Tex were very good indeed, and in central attack Bradford hardly had a sniff.
    I suppose Jacko could be said to have been an influence without being a presence if that makes sense, Crofts played well and I was surprised he went off.
    Holmes played inside with Novak having to do a lot of wide work in the first half, but later in the game when both played more normal roles they were better. Indeed i thought Novak was decent throughout, Holmes is good at winning free kicks as is Watt. To my mind that was Watts best performance since his return, but he doesn't yet convince me.
    I know we will go nowhere this season, well nowhere good, but I want us to get over the line in order to try a few things out with not much pressure. We have to get over that line first mind you.
    I heard that the Sparrows Lane helicopter was nothing to do with anything in terms of any interest in our club.
    I fully expect us to take an early two goal lead at Bramall Lane and end up losing 3-2.
  • Options
    Like a lot have said, an enjoyable game shame only about 5,000 there and fair play to Bradford for their support.

First half we weren't at the races yet our goal wasn't really threatened until Rudd's spill.

We really should have put the game to bed second half as had the chances. Really great to see the skipper in the sweeper role i've been screaming about for months. Not sure about a Chris Powell second coming but it's certainly a Jacko one.

Being critical, thought crofts was very poor, but despite the lack of bodies, a left back at right back etc, thought the boys did us proud.

Think had we had an Aribo on today it would have been a different story.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Feels like a good point, but the league table is still troubling me - those games in hand for Port Vale seem to give us a false sense of security.

Port Vale will be playing twice a week now until the end of season. I doubt they have got the resources to do that and constantly get results.

Nothing to worry about.
    As some people are a little anxious still, I've just had a quick look at Port Vale's recent results and fixtures.

Sure they have 3 games in hand on us - but they are a team that has won only 1 of their last 10 games;
    3 draws and 6 defeats = 6 points out of their last 30 possible points. And they lost tonight.

Hardly a form team and in the bottom 4 for a good reason.
    When you consider they were a top 6 side when we beat them at The Valley in November, they've really been struggling to arrest their freefall.

Who have they got to play?

Promotion pack: Bolton, Fleetwood and Sheff Utd
    Mid table: Walsall, Oxford, Wimbledon
    Strugglers: MKD, Shrewsbury, Chesterfield and Coventry.

Sure, there's points on the table for them if they can string a few wins together, but they're not showing threatening form right now.
    They might save themselves - but if they do, it'll be mainly by taking points off teams already below us (plus a couple of surprise results, perhaps).

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Went ahead against the run of play.First 10 minutes we were awful,couldn't control the ball.But in the 2nd the pressing and tackling were excellent,best they've played since i can't remember.TWWW skilful and should've scored.COYR. Marshall for them is some player.
  • Options
    Crap first half better second. Two woeful misses by our so called strikers novak from 2 yards out...watts was worse in my view. They are a decent football team and their no 7 was superb. Does rudd not do shot or catching practice in training...another spill.
  • Options
    Best performance and most enjoyable game for a long while.

Novak and Watt looked more like a partnership and both look more of a threat than previously. Link up play was much better and faster.

Our corners looked dangerous and we moved the ball well.

I think it helped that Bradford wanted to win too but it is too late.

Thought Dasilva did well and he can pick a pass.

Had Tex at 25/1 for first and last goal so Rudd cost me money. Otherwise little for him to do but a costly error.

Crowd really tried to lift the team at the end but another poor attendance.
  • Options
    Did everyone observe the tekkers from Crofts 2nd half?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Longer report to follow my brief comment from Charlton station.
    First game of the season for me. Atmosphere muted in the first half but actually very good after the break - responding to a fine 2nd half performance. First half they knocked it about and looked sharp without creating too many clear cut openings before Tex scored a very nice goal from a free-kick.
    Holmes hardly touched the ball while Watt showed flashes of his ability.
    Second half a whole different ball game. We got Holmes on the ball. Watt wanted to run at them and looked dangerous every time he did. Superb set piece delivery from Holmes and the midfield gained parity with Bradford having been outplayed in the first 45.
    Unfortunately Novak missed a sitter from the six yard box after fantastic burst into the box from Holmes - was a fierce cross at a tricky height but still has to score.
    Then Tex heads at the keeper from six yards after a brilliant free-kick from Holmes.
    Finally, Watt gets the ball stuck under his feet six yards out with the goal at his mercy after another Holmes delivery.
    Rudd made one regulation save low to his left as we bossed it.
    Thought Da Silva looked very sharp and should start on Saturday and liked what I saw of Konsa when he came on. Very calm and quicker across the ground than his languid style would suggest. All in all, a very enjoyable evening and glad I went.
  • Options

Did everyone observe the tekkers from Crofts 2nd half?

The 30 yard dipper? I thought Konsa pulled off the best the other week when he controlled the ball Rabona style with his calf and passed with the other foot.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    First half Bradford looked every bit the promotion chasing side and we were under the cosh. Marshall is an exciting little player.

We started so narrow in defence, perhaps because chicksen is a LB playing RB. Really not convinced by page.

Well taken goal by Tex but I think everyone in the ground was just waiting for them to score before half time and that they did - when will we learn to clear the ball?

Was expecting the worse second half but boy was I wrong. We chased everything, we had pace in our game, we actually seemed to give a shite. Holmes gave everything, so much so he had to be subbed after sturggling to get back up after a surging run down the left.

I wanted Novak off at half time-he showed nothing. But second half he played so much better and linked up with Watt very well a few times.

We had some great chances to score, Jackson shaved the crossbar, how one of those 3 players didn't stick it in from the freekick I'll never know and if Watt had passed to Novak at the end instead is trying to take everyone on then we could have walked away with 3 points.

I said in the build up that the attendance was awful but there was something actually resembling an atmosphere in the second half. It has been a long time since that has happened.

KR can say we were unlucky not to win that one if he wants to as I feel we were. They are just outside the automatic promotion places so a point really is a good result for once.

Ulvestad continues to impress me. He has a great range of passes, he can cover in defence and he showed he can produce some quality shooting today.

1 point towards safety. Just get there and hopefully RD will sell up and we can reclaim our club.

COYR
  • Options

Tonight's attendance at The Valley is 9,326 (962 visitors)

They included items of clothing in that count didn't they
  • Options
    For sure everyone wearing a scarf counts double.
  • Options
    And if you have a hat on as well...