Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post MatchThread: Charlton v Bradford

1235»

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Possibly the best performance I've seen from us this season, considering the opposition.

But where did all that commitment and passion come from ? The players were chasing everything, diving in with slide tackles etc. That's been missing all season.

It came from a half time bollocking apparently.
    If so, a bit harsh. Most of Charlton's problems in the first half came from the hopelessly narrow formation and that's down to Robinson himself.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Players noticeably more up for it for a few games now tbf

Yes, it seems Robinson's post Shrewsbury rant may have actually had some impact.
  • Options
    Having seen a replay of the Bradford goal I dont think their player is offside.

The scorer IS offside when the initial shot happens but for me he's not intering with play (thats phase one)... Rudd makes the save and by that time (phase two) the goalscorer is onside
  • Options
    Missed It said:

JamesSeed said:

Possibly the best performance I've seen from us this season, considering the opposition.

But where did all that commitment and passion come from ? The players were chasing everything, diving in with slide tackles etc. That's been missing all season.

If so, a bit harsh. Most of Charlton's problems in the first half came from the hopelessly narrow formation and that's down to Robinson himself.
    The formation may have been flawed, but there was a massive increase in workload in the second half which made a big difference
  • Options
    Missed It said:

JamesSeed said:

Either way, the players seemed to think it worked....or at least Bauer did.
    I'd still rather have Robinson who's (presumably) learning, than some useless has been who can only find work in the lower reaches of the EFL.
  • Options

The scorer IS offside when the initial shot happens but for me he's not intering with play (thats phase one)... Rudd makes the save and by that time (phase two) the goalscorer is onside

Um...this is ridiculous
  • Options

He was offside. Tarbuck said so.
  • Options

I think Rudd is a perfectly decent Championship level keeper, of the same level as say Hamer or Henderson. Generally solid, though I don't recall him making any "worldy" saves this season?

Scunthorpe save vs Madden's header? That was unbelievable
  • Options
    I just copied and pasted this from the BBC website

"The hosts responded with greater intensity during the second half, creating enough chances to secure victory and Tony Watt had already forced a save from Doyle when they went close through both Fredrik Ulvestad and Johnnie Jackson, but the goal they required remained beyond their reach."

Did they get their graduate to write that?!?
  • Options
    Seen the highlights. While Rudd may be to blame for the goal if you are the sort that likes to blame someone for every goal, it was a nasty shot, he did well to block it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Seen the highlights. While Rudd may be to blame for the goal if you are the sort that likes to blame someone for every goal, it was a nasty shot, he did well to block it.

If any one was to blame, it was Holmes IMO. The shot should not have been allowed to come in.

Desilva did well but if he was a regular teams would target him because of his size. Is he as tall as 5ft 3"?

I did not expect anything from Novak and it took a long time for me to registar that he was playing very well and winning headers and not just jumping with the defender. The miss was a pity as it would have capped a good performance. The ball was about a foot or so off the ground which made it a bit more difficult. A run in the team seems to be helping him.

Someone mentioned Homes and his deadball delivery. It is a bit hit and miss. I don't understand why Aribo does not take when he is playing. Much more consistant, as is JJ. Fantastic commitment though. Silly foul for the yellow, but did make me laugh. I guess he just could not resist.

Really enjoyed the game and the atmosphere in the North stand was great, especially second half.

Hats off to Robbo as well. Freddie, JJ and Crofts in midfield under Slade looked lost and slow but we over ran them. The whole team looks fitter and sharper. A good performance all round that deserved 3 points.
  • Options

I think it would have been pretty hard not to block it. Having said that, tough one to hang onto. Keep reading that it's just a few 'nutters' who give abuse to the goalies. Someone have a word!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Leuth said:

The scorer IS offside when the initial shot happens but for me he's not interning with play (thats phase one)... Rudd makes the save and by that time (phase two) the goalscorer is onside

Um...this is ridiculous
    Hate to say but why?
  • Options

Leuth said:

The scorer IS offside when the initial shot happens but for me he's not interning with play (thats phase one)... Rudd makes the save and by that time (phase two) the goalscorer is onside

Um...this is ridiculous
    Hate to say but why?
    Can't believe I'm agreeing with Leuth, but in the scenario above, it is still 'phase one'
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Leuth said:

Um...this is ridiculous
    Hate to say but why?
    Can't believe I'm agreeing with Leuth, but in the scenario above, it is still 'phase one'
    Apologies... Going by the letter of the law, your both right

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Can a player who interferes with play after a rebound or save be given offside? - YES – interfering with an opponent or play after a rebound or save is clearly an offside offence if the player was originally in an offside position.
  • Options

Ben18 said:

Leuth said:

Um...this is ridiculous
    Hate to say but why?
    Apologies... Going by the letter of the law, your both right

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Can a player who interferes with play after a rebound or save be given offside? - YES – interfering with an opponent or play after a rebound or save is clearly an offside offence if the player was originally in an offside position.
    The key word there is originally. I wasnt at the game but I understand from reports on here that the player concerned was in an on-side position when he received the ball, which is irrelevant. "Phase One" still applies in this case. However, if say the ball struck the goalkeeper and was subsquently played by the defender (advertantly or inadvertantly) and then played by our player, then Phase Two would have started at the point their defending got involved.
  • Options
    The shot was saved and pushed up into the air and was headed in.

Looking at the highlights they have 3 players offside when the shot is made. One in front of the goal keeper. One in the middle who scores the goal and one nearside.

No question in my mind. Offside on two counts. One blocking Rudds view and the scorer.
  • Options
    How we didn't score in the second half I do not know. Watt covered every blade. Holmes back to his best.
    Fair play to robbo outhought McCall and deserved the win.