Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post MatchThread: Charlton v Bradford

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2017
    wasn't there .. sounds like a good(ish) performance ..
    Rudd ? .. some blame him for the goal .. he has not at all convinced me this season that he is reliable enough .. low shots always give him trouble though he is usually good at collecting high balls .. a priority in the close season is for us to sign an experienced permanent goalkeeper (as well as a central midfielder and another striker of course) .. all in all though yet another 1-1 .. !! .. yawn
  • Options

Rudd ? .. some blame him for the goal .. he has not at all convinced me this season that he is reliable enough .. low shots always give him trouble though he is usually good at collecting high balls .. a priority in the close season is for us to sign an experienced permanent goalkeeper (as well as a central midfielder and another striker of course) .. all in all though yet another 1-1 .. !! .. yawn

Hmm. I personally think he is a decent goalie; however; agreed he could have done better with the goal.
    Some blaming him?. Thats an understatement.
    Apart from being called a useless so and so; it was intelligently put to him that is the reason why nobody wants to sign you. Very helpful.
  • Options

PWR - fourth visit to The Valley this season. Just had to see a live game again and my boycott crumbled again. Also my in-laws were around.

First half seemed like everything I had been reading about on here. Quite dis-jointed, verging on the boring. Sitting in the East Stand I spent the first 15 minutes trying to see who was sitting in my old ST seat in the Lower North. Felt sad it was no longer mine having been custodian of it for many a year. My gaze across the whole stadium was even sadder. I have never seen the North Stand look so empty before but glad the drummer was still there. In fact without him the atmosphere would have been totally flat last night. This is the result of a terrible regime's terrible choices.

I thought Texeira's goal was very deftly taken and would have made any center forward proud of that effort. Could he end up being the leading goal scorer this season?!! With our failed forward line up he could be! However this being Charlton I always knew that Bradford would get a goal and I did not have to wait long for that event.

Half time I thought I would try the Addicks Ale. Not really ale is it. Just fizzy brown stuff, mildly better in taste than the John Smiths. But it warmed me up a bit and suddenly the place started to feel a bit more up for it (or was it I could not handle the ale?!). The drum beat louder and faster and it seemed that Charlton were actually stringing passes together and increasing the tempo. Why do we never start games like this? We dominated the play and I thought we shackled their no.7 (Marshall) a lot better. Ulvestad got a couple of good tackles in and also a decent looping shot that wasn't far off. Watt looked more up for it and lasted 90 minutes without looking like he was about to die. Novak missed a decent chance but could see him and Watt were trying a partnership. Jacko with a decent free kick, so very close. However in the end we lack that final bit of quality to finish games off. That final bit of quality that Roly refuses to cough up for every transfer window.

I left the ground without any real feeling of jubilation or despair. Just happy i dodged the in-laws. What does that say about my affections for Charlton, a place which would have me buzzing with anger or joy. Thanks Roly. We deserve to be where we are in the league, very middle of the road based on that performance, not as dire as I had expected. Unless Roly goes and takes Katrien with him I shan't be renewing my ST.

By the way, I think Jay da Silva is quite possibly the tiniest person in the world.

You should have seen the guy who played for Walsall on Saturday - Jay is a giant compared to him.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Hmm. I personally think he is a decent goalie; however; agreed he could have done better with the goal.
    Some blaming him?. Thats an understatement.
    Apart from being called a useless so and so; it was intelligently put to him that is the reason why nobody wants to sign you. Very helpful.
    He spilled the shot but I suspect that particular shot will get spillled 9 times out of 10 if the goalkeeper is good enough to save it 10 times out of 10. Rudd was clearly annoyed with himself but it was just one of those things. The good thing about it was that we only conceded a goal in that way and that the defence and Rudd were more than capable of coping with what was a really pacey and slick Bradford attack.
  • Options
    I think Rudd is a perfectly decent Championship level keeper, of the same level as say Hamer or Henderson. Generally solid, though I don't recall him making any "worldy" saves this season?
  • Options
    I really don't get the formation that Knobinson insists on playing. When the glacial Crofts and Ulvestad are the wide midfielders that can't be right. They're basically standing just outside the centre circle and letting Bradford roam free down the flanks, leaving a lone full back to deal with everything. At one point, Crofts "tried" to stop a cross in the first half, it was so half-hearted and inept it was just embarrassing.

So many wasted chances, but then they are 3rd division players. Rudd, has had a bit of mare the last few games but as he's costing money on loan he's never getting dropped.

Better atmosphere, perhaps everybody's cheered up at the prospect of Roland finally selling the club.

Was Da Silva a really long way away or is he just tiny?!
  • Options

I think Rudd is a perfectly decent Championship level keeper, of the same level as say Hamer or Henderson. Generally solid, though I don't recall him making any "worldy" saves this season?

Good points of view chaps. It just seemed to me that it could be the beginnings of our new scapegoat; considering the dogs abuse he got at Northampton.
  • Options
    still debating the possibilities of relegation, sums it up perfectly.
  • Options
    So we were good in one half, deserved to win, but still didn't. In isolation, that happens, in tandem with the other results since the start of Feb, not good enough, again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would have expected Rudd to have saved or pushed away the intial shot at goal but in saying at, I think he saw it late and slightly unsighted trying to see through players.
  • Options
    Seems like whoever is in goal they'll get abuse from our fans - Pope and Hamer got their fair share. Rudd is an okay keeper but I'd like to see Phillips starting - trouble is our fans would be on his back as soon as he made a mistake.
  • Options
    I thought this was a great game. It was exciting and despite the very small crowd the atmosphere was good.

Towards the end of the game I thought we looked the most likely to win but it really was end to end.

I can't get too excited about it though as there are players that will not be here next season and a few others that might that I'd prefer not to be.

My biggest worry moving forward is that the squad building needs to start now and I'm not convinced that the potential change of ownership is going to help that. However I am confident that we will be able to secure are third division status this season, and that is the most horrific thing I have written for as long as I can remember.
  • Options

Seems like whoever is in goal they'll get abuse from our fans - Pope and Hamer got their fair share. Rudd is an okay keeper but I'd like to see Phillips starting - trouble is our fans would be on his back as soon as he made a mistake.

Philips shouldn't have lost his place when Rudd was fit anyway, always think it sends out a bad message when someone walks back into a team when fit when his replacement has been playing well, should have sat on the bench and bided his time until Philips was injured or hit poor form
  • Options

Philips shouldn't have lost his place when Rudd was fit anyway, always think it sends out a bad message when someone walks back into a team when fit when his replacement has been playing well, should have sat on the bench and bided his time until Philips was injured or hit poor form
    Totally agree with this. Thought Phillips did really well and improved during his run. I do wonder if it's part of the loan arrangement that, if fit, Rudd plays.
  • Options
    DaSilva.
    A couple of times early on hemisplaced or lost the ball.
    Once he settled his decision making was incisive, as was often his passing. He played in at least two good balls from wide positions to a midfielder advancing g forward centrally in space. He covered the ground defensively willingly.
    If the next left back option is Jacko or daSilvs I would play daSilva, although Chicken is my preferred option.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

DaSilva.
    Once he settled his decision making was incisive, as was often his passing. He played in at least two good balls from wide positions to a midfielder advancing g forward centrally in space. He covered the ground defensively willingly.
    If the next left back option is Jacko or daSilvs I would play daSilva, although Chicken is my preferred option.

I do wonder if da Silva has missed out partly because of the general lack of height in the side and the need to try and compensate.
  • Options
    I always thought you looked like dead people, I'm quite disappointed now...
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

seth plum said:

DaSilva.

I do wonder if da Silva has missed out partly because of the general lack of height in the side and the need to try and compensate.
    we weren't short of height last night so no excuse not to start him Saturday now

• Options

How the hell have we been soooo shit all season , there's some good players there fffs

Even good players need organisation and motivation - that said those attributes did make a rare appearance in the 2nd half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I paid Roland £17 for the first time in ages and in the second half it did look like the players knew i was there.....
    Very entertaining for a 1-1 draw I thought, First half they shaded it, second half we were better, don't know how Novak missed and couldnt believe Watts Moon-attack effort.
    From where I was sat I thought Rudd looked unlucky for the goal but he did get a bunch of abuse from some long haired chap a few rows in front of us which seemed harsh.
    Highlight for me was David Joyce being wheeled out onto the pitch just before K.O. to announce to the crowd "See I'm here, I'm really not in Belgium you have nothing to look forward to, please buy more chips", at least I think that's what he said but as we know the PA system isn't very good.....
  • Options
    Last few games show the error of not play Tex and Ulvestad for long periods this season when they were available. Holmes is wonderful but I'm not sure he should be taking all the corners.
  • Options
    Felt sorry for Page. His best game for a while but it looked like a hamstring tear.

Tex was also clutching his hamstring on about 80 mins and was struggling thereafter. I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if he plays on Saturday.

Really enjoyable 2nd half and every player should take credit. Ulvestad looks fresh after his long lay-off and Jackson looks comfortable in the centre of midfield. I didn't go on Saturday but he's been good in the last two Tuesday games.

• Options
    edited March 2017

Come on North lower, even Sam Bartram had the occasional off day. Give the goalies a break.
  • Options
    Blimey! Excitement at the Valley! Crossbar challenge was brilliant! JJ nearly scored. Ricky ran them ragged. Watt quite classy at times. Great volley by Tex but he really should have scored with his head. Disilva was actually decent (as was Page) and even Crofts played well for about ten minutes. Good turn out by the away fans otherwise the ground was pretty empty.
    Time to go Roly.
  • Options
    Rudd: unfortunate blunder for bradford's goal but shot should never have been allowed to come in
    Page: nope, no idea
    Teixeira: another slow slow then decent and composed in front of goal
    Bauer: quiet night
    Jackson: gave all he had, which isn't quite enough any more
    Holmes: put in a real shift, half his deadballs are hopeless, half are ok, partly culpable for bradford's goal when he declined to offer any challenge to the bantam in front of him
    Ulvestad: an almost impossible task to which he acquitted himself well
    Crofts: bad day at the office
    Chicksen: really uncomfortable on the right but no worse than Byrne at RB, which ain;t saying much obv
    Watt: his best showing for us this term, some signs he's sort of fit -ish, if only he had Tex's composure in front of goal
    Novak: another workmanlike shift

Konsa: weird choice when he came on, displayed his ball playing talent but was lethargic and prone to losing possession
    Da Silva: implausibly less well equipped than Page, what was KR thinking?

KR: ludicrous formation from the start, a very narrow 4 in midfield against Bradford's initial 5 and the wrong striker playing with his back to goal. He owes Watt and Novak a massive favour for papering over the gaping cracks in his shitty plan. Cherry on the top of KR's latest ballsup was bringing on Konsa to play an attacking role in the side that at the time was pegging back Bradford and looking likely to win the game - Forster-Caskey was available and supposedly fit enough. Is KR doing it by numbers? Are driesen and roly insisting he plays a certain amount of 'homegrown' marketable youngsters regardless of the match situation or is KR just a total fuckwit? 5 points from 3 home games isn't terrible but that's still only 7 points in the last 10 fixtures, which is cast iron relegation form in any season. I don't care what the alternative is but there has to be one.
  • Options
    Possibly the best performance I've seen from us this season, considering the opposition.

A couple of possible reasons -

1 Bradford didn't come to defend with a packed defence.

2 We played 4-4-2, so the players knew what to do.

But where did all that commitment and passion come from ? The players were chasing everything, diving in with slide tackles etc. That's been missing all season.
  • Options
    Players noticeably more up for it for a few games now tbf
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Contracts up for renewal? Looking for a contract?

Sorry to be cynical and in any event I exempt JJ from that given his service over the years.
  • Options

Possibly the best performance I've seen from us this season, considering the opposition.

But where did all that commitment and passion come from ? The players were chasing everything, diving in with slide tackles etc. That's been missing all season.

It came from a half time bollocking apparently.