Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post MatchThread: Charlton v Bradford

Comments

• Options

Tonight's attendance at The Valley is 9,326 (962 visitors)

Is the club being sold ?
  • Options
    That's the most I've enjoyed a game for ages. I didn't think it would be after the first half hour when we had 1 attempt at goal & that went for a throw in. Second half we should have killed the game off unfortunately Watt, Novak & Tex all missed sitters. I liked the look of their number 7 he was quite a handful at times.
  • Options
    Enjoyed the second half. We should have won it. No shortage of effort and Watt put in a lot of effort. Novak bit lightweight (not physically obviously). Thought DaSilva did well after he settled down. Both central defenders were excellent. Was surprised when I looked at the BBC stats that we only had 44% of possession.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Poor first half performance, where we took the lead against the run of play, then proceeded to concede the usual soft equaliser. Completely outsung by the Bradford fans

Transformed second half performance

Great passing and movement
    Masses more commitment in closing down opposition players
    Excellent atmosphere, the best noise in a long time, and yes the East Stand was singing along with the Upper North!
    Everyone waiting to clap the players off (instead of the usual boos or hurried exits)

A combination of bad finishing and bad luck meant we didn't get the win we deserved, but a MUCH better performance. A shame that Page went off injured again, as he was having a decent game, but DaSilva played well as his replacement
  • Options
    Shocking first half.

Vastly improved second. Robinson was clearly fuming at HT and was screaming at the players to get down the tunnel.

Shocker from Rudd for their goal (which I've seen again and was offside) equally shocking was Novak's miss. Watt was flagged offside for his.

Bauer looked back to his best. Page scares me, he looks so uncomfortable on the ball.

Of the last 3 home games this was by far the smallest turn out of home fans. East was so sparse it was laughable. Very good turn out from Bradford.
  • Options
    Watt wasn't flagged offside. Lino flagged for goal kick then ran up the line. For an offside they stay where they are with the flag up
  • Options
    the league is soooo pony , that's what hurts about this lame attempt of a season.

I can see us cruising to the end of the season without much trouble

37% 7th-12th ......... 63% 13th-20th
  • Options
    First home game I have been to in 13 months. Thought we gave their left back far too much space down the wing in the first 20 minutes or so and their no. 7 was a handful all game. A good second half. I feared the worse but ended up enjoying it.
  • Options

Did everyone observe the tekkers from Crofts 2nd half?

What does that mean ?
  • Options

What does that mean ?
    Good technique.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

What does that mean ?
    Good technique.

Thanks Oggy :smile:
  • Options
    Echo most of the posts on here. Scrappy first 30 mins & then we score with our first effort at goal (not counting TWWW shot as it went off for a throw). 2nd half was the best I've seen us play all season & I've only missed 2 home games & seen a few away. Should have put at least 1 of the 5 or 6 chances we had, especially from the free kick by Holmes which landed between 3 of our players inside the 6 yard box - how that never went in I'll never know. All the players put in a shift & the passing was crisp & direct with not too many backwards & sideways passing that we've seen for most of the season. If KR is making a list of players needed for next season he could worse than signing their no 7 - ran the show for them & must be destined for better things.

I think we are safe now. Port Vale may have games in hand (with 2 still to be re-arranged & not even playing the week after next due to international call-ups), but they are in a poor rub of form & have hardly won away all season so not likely to pick up many points, especially as they have to play 4 of the top 6 - and Swindon cant win for love nor money.
  • Options
    “Jason Pearce is getting fit, Jake Forster-Caskey is back fit again, Ezri Konsa made it in the end, Jordan Botaka was back fit in the squad, Solls [Chris Solly] is a couple of weeks away and Josh Magennis is coming back to fitness.”

What happened with Byrne? Chicksen did ok, but isn't convincing at RB really as he's so left footed
  • Options
    Good night out, that. First half, I really enjoyed some of Bradford's football, they mostly seemed to be looking for someone and mostly finding them. Second half, all been said, a proper game.

Pity the poor crossbar challenge bloke, blimey.
  • Options
    Decent second half especially Charlton who most of them worked really hard, great trip back north with the bantams, our carriage drank more than our fair share and had a good laugh.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

First home game I have been to in 13 months. Thought we gave their left back far too much space down the wing in the first 20 minutes or so and their no. 7 was a handful all game. A good second half. I feared the worse but ended up enjoying it.

That's what happens when you play a one footed LB at RB. Option should have been Pearce back and Tex there or Barnes or Crofts or RCC recall or risk Konsa/Botaka.
  • Options
    Just woken up in Delhi and read the comments, 1-1 seemed fair across both very different haves it seems. Agree not going up or down, we are mid table and I think that's where we have been all season based on the overall performances to date.
  • Options
    Tony watts best game for a long time...as good as magennis. Forget watersheds but this game was one of the most enjoyable for a long time as the pace of certain players made us exciting to watch. I reckon Phillips could easily step into rudds shoes next season. Novak continues to show little or nothing (except for the last 20 minutes)....why continue with him with Botaka available. DaSilva and Holmes impressed and why Konsa didn't start over crofts is beyond me....so much better. Jackson's presence in midfield had a good impact. Second half was very very enjoyable...well done team and manager.
  • Options
    Another result to help our friendly neighbours from Zampa Road reach promotion
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

How the hell have we been soooo shit all season , there's some good players there fffs

Because even when the ball is laid on a plate for someone to score, one of our players will still blaze it wide or over.
  • Options
    Charltonised
  • Options

the league is soooo pony , that's what hurts about this lame attempt of a season.

I find comments like that unfair. I think the standard of the third tier in this country is amazingly good. You'd never football as good in any other third tier in the world.
  • Options
    I note that Bradford have drawn 18 games - one more than us - so maybe that result was always on the cards.

Heartening second half performance where we dominated a useful opposition, with some good old fashioned Charlton spirit. If Robinson’s halftime talk was responsible for that, then more power to his elbow. Shame we haven’t got goals in the side, Mendonca would have had 3 or 4.

Most teams suffer a bad patch during the season we have yet to enjoy a really good one (please see my meticulously compiled, month by month, season at a glance table below). Hopefully it will kick in now and Robinson’s belated ‘Charlton Charge’ see us comfortably into a mid table finish.

This time next year ...

LDWWD DLDDD LWDDW LWWD DLLWD WDW DDLDLLL LWDD
  • Options

I find comments like that unfair. I think the standard of the third tier in this country is amazingly good. You'd never football as good in any other third tier in the world.
    Nor would you see a player on 12k per week in any of those other leagues.

I should think in the German 3rd tier (probably the strongest) there will be entire teams on the pitch who collectively earn 12k that week.

• Options

In comparison to recent years in league one this division appears less strong than previously.
  • Options
    Good second half, poor first.

Watt looks as up for it as I've seen him, Rudd another mistake why do we persist with him?
  • Options
    as others have mentioned, I actually quite enjoyed that game. unlucky not to have scored a winner in the second half but overall we looked about as good as we are ever going to look with the players we have.

they showed a lot of effort and some good movement in the second half. we looked balanced which i think was achieved by having Jackson in the middle. only real issue we had was their number 7.

some really good tackles from the likes of Bauer, Jackson, Crofts and Tex. good runs and passing by Holmes and Watt and even Novak played alright in the second half.