Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options

If the VAR actually saw those angles you have to consider some form of corruption involved?

I'm pretty certain that they see the same angles as the TV viewers.
  • Options
    Needed ASAP.

Brighton denied a clear penalty, Burnley go down the over end and get a penalty themselves
  • Options
    I can't agree with Lyle Taylor about VAR.

Brighton were robbed by not getting a stone wall penalty 10 seconds before Burnley's pen.

When the Ref is looking straight at the incident I'm baffled by the human error.

Their is a video doing the rounds of the Burnley players taking the Mickey out of Hendricks blatant hand ball.

Makes a total mockery of football.
    Rugby, Tennis and Cricket are light years ahead.
  • Options
    A new low for VAR tonight 
  • Options
    VAR should only be used when there is controversy. Not when nobody was even thinking penalty.
  • Options
    It is only supposed to be used for a clear and obvious error. That wasn't..
  • Options
    Porto goes through after Ref give penalty after checking with VAR which confirms that the Roma defender pulled on the attackers shirt as he was moving towards the ball.
  • Options
    It is only supposed to be used for a clear and obvious error. That wasn't..
    Yes it was an obvious error. The ref did not give handball and it was.

If one thinks the law itself is wrong that is a completely different matter. They seem to be going towards if it hits the arm it is handball. I think that is a mistake. If they are going down that route I would also change the rules to say it is only a penalty if it is in the six yard area. Too cheap a goal for me.

While they are at it, I think offside needs to be where the foot is. Makes VAR more of an exact science.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Offsides are a shambles now.

lets freeze frame and zoom in close enough to see the stitching on the shorts, now look....you can see his left knee cap is just offside.

bonkers.
    Improves the game though according to the VAR luvvies. 
  • Options
    If it's supposed to be for clear and obvious infractions then surely it shouldn't take three minutes for a decision to be made, as happened the other night.

Maybe the ref should have a maximum time of, say, one minute to look at the screen, maybe even less. If he can't make a decision during that time then the on-field decision should stand.

Cricket, tennis and, to a degree, rugby are stop-start games so VAR is less invasive. I'm a supporter of the use of technology but only for the clear and obvious in a limited way.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The problem is with the unclear rules around handball.

Even Tuchel himself said he’s in favour of VAR and said it was a 50/50 call because of the way the rule is written.
  • Options
    I think it was intentional and the right call. Anyway, next year "intent" becomes irrelevant so happy it started a little early.
  • Options
    Like I have said elsewhere on here, if he did that defending on the line it would be a red card and a penalty, so why is it different elsewhere in the area?
  • Options
    I think it was intentional and the right call. Anyway, next year "intent" becomes irrelevant so happy it started a little early.
    I am baffled by that view. How can you deliberably turn around, close your eyes, and handle the ball blind, all within the space of 1 second?
  • Options
    I am baffled by that view. How can you deliberably turn around, close your eyes, and handle the ball blind, all within the space of 1 second?
    Practice ?

those players are in the final stages of the Champions League, they are supposed to be the best at what they do. So if a defender feels the best way of dealing with a shot is to turn his back, close his eyes and stick his arm out then he must know what he’s doing. Penalty all day long.
  • Options
    Can’t wait for the first time VAR goes against Man Utd and all their fans are doing their nuts!
  • Options
    I see it as the defender was making his frame bigger.

The nature of protecting yourself when a ball is kicked at you, most people would turn and jump with their elbows would be lifted up and possibly brought towards the front of the body and not out to the side. 

Your point about the space of 1 second to make that decision is also misleading as he would have seen the player ready to strike the ball a couple of seconds before plus the time of the ball in flight. Sprinters would be halfway to the finish line in that time.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Practice ?

those players are in the final stages of the Champions League, they are supposed to be the best at what they do. So if a defender feels the best way of dealing with a shot is to turn his back, close his eyes and stick his arm out then he must know what he’s doing. Penalty all day long.
    Agreed; they've mastered the art of being sneaky... Look at the shirt pulling at the World Cup and how that was quickly clamped down upon - Players would be running to the referee all believing they were innocent because in the past they'd mastered the art of getting away with it - By the later rounds we saw less penalties given because the players had learnt from it
    Just going to have to be the same case here... If I was a Manager I'd seriously consider doing a training session where my defenders practice putting blocks in yet ensure a "foul" is given to the attackers whenever there is a handball regardless if its accidental, would teach your players not to expect a handball in your favour in any situation and how to defend without relying on it!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does change the tactics of the game a bit. Shoot harder more often but aim at the blocker's arm if he tries to get in the way.  (Only when there's VAR though?)
  • Options
    Does change the tactics of the game a bit. Shoot harder more often but aim at the blocker's arm if he tries to get in the way.  (Only when there's VAR though?)
    Dont turn your body away and keep your arms behind your back is the way to ensure you dont give anything away - Players just wont be able to jump as high because they wouldnt have their arms out for leverage - All that does though is create more goalscoring opportunities though?
  • Options
    Dont turn your body away and keep your arms behind your back is the way to ensure you dont give anything away - Players just wont be able to jump as high because they wouldnt have their arms out for leverage - All that does though is create more goalscoring opportunities though?

Although according to the meeting where these new silhouette laws were confirmed, the main reason was the exact opposite.

So defenders wouldn't have to keep their arms behind their back when defending.

• Options
    Yes - but is this really how we want the game to be?

I'm wondering how you explain this when you're refereeing 13 year olds playing their first full game. It's one thing to say that they mustn't wave their arms about in front of someone whose shooting or crossing.

But should you tell them they should always be jumping with their hands behind their backs or they might end up breaking the laws and be penalised? 

Doesn't sound like much fun!

One of the joys of playing football (unlike rugby - sometimes) is that you can run around and enjoy yourself and you're not automatically penalised if you accidentally make a small mistake. VAR is changing that.
  • Options
    I have said this 100 times and I will say it again...it is still a matter of opinion. The fact some here say it was a penalty and some say it wasnt tells you all you need to know.
  • Options
    I have said this 100 times and I will say it again...it is still a matter of opinion. The fact some here say it was a penalty and some say it wasnt tells you all you need to know.
    And the only opinion that matters is the refs. 
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    And the only opinion that matters is the refs. 
    Indeed and he may as well sit in the stand and watch it on tv.
  • Options
    You will never ever get 100% correct decisions even with VAR. BUT VAR has cleared up most contentious issues.
    I understand that some of the curmudgeonly posters on here dont want change and progression, but unlucky, as the World Cup showed VAR is a success.
  • Options
    I thought VAR was supposed to be the new guru for football after all enough people are siting in front of the screen..Ref doesn't get everything right VAR doesn't get everything right so we will change it...says it all.

I am all for change but for matters of fact...not opinion.
  • Options

The defender looks back, clearly focusing on the attackers foot as it approaches the ball, he turns and hangs his elbow out in an unatural way (almost doing an impression of a teapot handle).

In normal play, probably not. In replay (VAR) - a penalty.

What makes me laugh is Tuchel saying it was 50/50 and because the shot was almost certainly going over the bar then it shouldn't have been given. Oh so that's ok then - it's only handball if the shot is on target. Muppet!