Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• TelMc32 said:

Club confirms that Fans' Forum meeting is taking place this Wednesday

A chance to meet the new owners? :smiley:
    Wouldn't that be nice but I don't think it will happen.
  • shirty5 said:

I for one am happy with JW passing on his information. I appreciate anything being put out there (as I was with Jimmy seeds stuff on here). As long as someone is passing on info with the beat of intentions it's not their fault if it changes or doesn't happen. That's the point of a rumour it's by definition not a certainty.

Another one who will learn when it's comes to dealing with Roland Duchatelet
    At least it put 3,000 on Saturday's attendance.
    Which, IF Roland is behind this info to JW (a BIG IF), would provide him with hard evidence, if he is busy telling a prospective buyer that Charlton has great capability for growth! There are more reasons than a one-off increase in ticket income why it might be of benefit to Roland to spread rumours, other than a desire to get his own back on fans who have embarrassed him in his home town.

The truth is, none of us knows.
  • More convinced than ever this 'new interest' was a smoke screen to try and speed up the aussie bid.

Really hope I'm wrong, but it feels like RD has once again played a few people like a fiddle, I really do think he's vindictive enough to play games to embarrass a particular person he blames for the protests.

That wouldn’t really explain the information JW has. I do think we need to ask why RD continues to entertain the Aussies, after 20 months, while turning away other interest.
    What info? All he's offered is coulds and shoulds, today he's backtracking.
    The info from his source in writing.
    Unless is a bank statement showing funds being deposited into RD;s account or a memorandum of sale it means sod all.

Sorry, I stand by what I said last week. We are being played. No idea by whom or why, but a sensible, credible potential owner wouldn't be leaking info to JW.

apt tune now on the radio as I type.............."Ramble on"
  • N01R4M said:

shirty5 said:

I for one am happy with JW passing on his information. I appreciate anything being put out there (as I was with Jimmy seeds stuff on here). As long as someone is passing on info with the beat of intentions it's not their fault if it changes or doesn't happen. That's the point of a rumour it's by definition not a certainty.

Another one who will learn when it's comes to dealing with Roland Duchatelet
    At least it put 3,000 on Saturday's attendance.
    Which, IF Roland is behind this info to JW (a BIG IF), would provide him with hard evidence, if he is busy telling a prospective buyer that Charlton has great capability for growth! There are more reasons than a one-off increase in ticket income why it might be of benefit to Roland to spread rumours, other than a desire to get his own back on fans who have embarrassed him in his home town.

The truth is, none of us knows.
    From what I know you can discount the idea it was about boosting Saturday’s crowd.
  • edited January 2019

Can only speak for myself but I’m not very happy at the amount of stick JW is getting on here.
    We don’t have many journos out there who have shown much interest and he ‘has’ gone out of his way to see this saga through to the end.
    I believe he is genuinely a ‘friend’ of the club and that he sees clearly that we have been so very badly treated over the last 5 horrendous years.
    I do think he was a little premature with his time scale but he is on our side and I am sure only means us well.....so can I ask you all to chill a bit, no need to make an unnecessary enemy of the guy, after all, he’s just about all we’ve got in the way of a friend on our side with any reasonable info......be it good, bad or indifferent.

Have to say, you can understand why folk are so disgruntled with White. Let's look at some of the facts:

- He travels to Belgium to interview the owner and doesn't ask him a single challenging question. Particularly when the owner sat there and had the audacity to blame fans' protests as the reason why we didn't get a specific manager. Right there, as a journalist, he had the opportunity to probe and challenge the owner, but of course he didn't.

- He announces on Friday that the deal is imminent and fans can go to the match tomorrow knowing he (Duchatelet) will be gone by the beginning of next week! He then pitches up to The Valley on Saturday, like some modern day Sir Lancelot, knowing damn well (bloody beany hat or not!) that fans would recognise him and ask him questions about what he said, live on air, the day before. It smacked of 'look at me, it's all about me'! Why else would he go there on Saturday?

- Then, this morning, live on air, he surreptitiously backtracks and changes the wording of his 'imminence' claims to articulating that it's a meeting that's imminent, thats all. He then underpins that by eulogising that the owner isn't going 'just yet' and that it's a 'possible takeover'.

As a professional journalist who opines that he understands our plight and who knows what we have gone through, he should have known better than to make such a statement on Friday. A statement that was even reiterated by Stelling on Saturday.

So, in that relatively short synopsis, you'll see why a lot of people are *upset/annoyed/angry with White.

I'm not here to have an argument with folk on this forum about Jim White and what he has/hasn't done for us; we all have an opinion. He may have been well intentioned, but he, of all people, should have trod with a lot more caution before making such announcements on Friday. Especially when he knew damn well the repercussions it would cause.

*delete as appropriate.
    Listen to the audio and see if you still think he went on Saturday for that reason.
  • edited January 2019

Can only speak for myself but I’m not very happy at the amount of stick JW is getting on here.
    We don’t have many journos out there who have shown much interest and he ‘has’ gone out of his way to see this saga through to the end.
    I believe he is genuinely a ‘friend’ of the club and that he sees clearly that we have been so very badly treated over the last 5 horrendous years.
    I do think he was a little premature with his time scale but he is on our side and I am sure only means us well.....so can I ask you all to chill a bit, no need to make an unnecessary enemy of the guy, after all, he’s just about all we’ve got in the way of a friend on our side with any reasonable info......be it good, bad or indifferent.

Have to say, you can understand why folk are so disgruntled with White. Let's look at some of the facts:

- He travels to Belgium to interview the owner and doesn't ask him a single challenging question. Particularly when the owner sat there and had the audacity to blame fans' protests as the reason why we didn't get a specific manager. Right there, as a journalist, he had the opportunity to probe and challenge the owner, but of course he didn't.

- He announces on Friday that the deal is imminent and fans can go to the match tomorrow knowing he (Duchatelet) will be gone by the beginning of next week! He then pitches up to The Valley on Saturday, like some modern day Sir Lancelot, knowing damn well (bloody beany hat or not!) that fans would recognise him and ask him questions about what he said, live on air, the day before. It smacked of 'look at me, it's all about me'! Why else would he go there on Saturday?

- Then, this morning, live on air, he surreptitiously backtracks and changes the wording of his 'imminence' claims to articulating that it's a meeting that's imminent, thats all. He then underpins that by eulogising that the owner isn't going 'just yet' and that it's a 'possible takeover'.

As a professional journalist who opines that he understands our plight and who knows what we have gone through, he should have known better than to make such a statement on Friday. A statement that was even reiterated by Stelling on Saturday.

So, in that relatively short synopsis, you'll see why a lot of people are *upset/annoyed/angry with White.

I'm not here to have an argument with folk on this forum about Jim White and what he has/hasn't done for us; we all have an opinion. He may have been well intentioned, but he, of all people, should have trod with a lot more caution before making such announcements on Friday. Especially when he knew damn well the repercussions it would cause.

*delete as appropriate.
    Listen to the audio and see if you still think he went on Saturday for that reason.
    Rick, to be fair mate, I can't be bothered. I'm worn out with it all (and I'm in bloody Saudi Arabia, so god knows how you lot are coping! :smiley: ).
  • Sponsored links:

• It's over a year since Roland announced that he was selling all his clubs and getting out of football. He hasn't sold one. That is what we're up against.
  • It's over a year since Roland announced that he was selling all his clubs and getting out of football. He hasn't sold one. That is what we're up against.

He's sold STVV.
  • What a complete load of Bollocks . I’m sick to death of all this . The man is a nut Job and has no intention of selling this club unless it’s for a ridiculous price .
    It’s all hearsay and claptrap and JW should keep shtum unless he has something useful to say .

He's sold STVV.
    Kept the ground I think, hasn't he?

He's sold STVV.
    Kept the ground I think, hasn't he?
    On paper, it belongs to his "life partner", but effectively, yes.
  • I know quite a few people thought / think my stance on this is negative, but I just cannot understand with the facts that have been presented why so many people gobbled up last week that this was a done deal, particularly after the other false dawns.

You can only lead to the water mate you can’t make people drink
  • White 'talks imminent'
  • Australian consortium according to JW.

Doesn't that contradict what Airman said the other day?
  • Sponsored links:

• Australian consortium according to JW.

Doesn't that contradict what Airman said the other day?

I believe Airman said the substantial money was American but fronted by Australians
  • PaddyP17 said:

Talks are "imminent", and "if they're successful", an Australian consortium will take over.

So this is useless.

That could almost be a direct quote from May 2018 during play off week.
  • White contrasting CAFC with Sunderland ownership and speaking to Sunderland owner.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!