Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Why do I believe it will happen? I fall for it every fecking time. I REALLY thought this was the time. Now it feels like someone has booted me in the guts. And it's January. The Tatters household is a right old joy to behold at the moment.

I hope the hens are keeping well
  • When Murray said

We think the takeover will be completed in February. (Last year)

Assume he did infact mean February 2019.
  • Just so we're clear...

There's been no bid, no money has been unlocked and we could still complete this week.

Righto.
  • lolwray said:

How can I stop getting emails from cl telling me somebody has contributed to this thread ....I have about 500 to delete

You have accidentally bookmarked the thread by clicking on the star to the right of the title heading.
    To unbookmark click on the star again.
  • I am beginning to hate the Ozzies almost as much as I hate Roland.
  • I’m sure my view will be in a minority but the Football Club / Valley split is only bad if the deal agreed is bad.

There are scenarios where it could be very helpful to an ambitious football club owner who would prefer to spend on getting the football club into the top flight as the priority. Thats where the big bucks are and buy the real estate on agreed terms further down the line. Of course that’s a good view and there are also bad scenarios but just assuming it’s 100% bad is not quite true.

Exactly.......the Devil is in the detail.

After all - there don't appear to be too many people saying that West Ham are getting legged over with a lease arrangement for the ground currently.
  • Addickted said:

I will review my bid after the transfer window closes.

I've officially removed the Quality Street/Heroes/Roses offer made pre Christmas and am currently negotiating with Thorntons on their 2019 Easter Egg collection to add back into my revised bid.

Still looking for additional backers to help the Club get past the first week of my ownership, which is what I'm currently able to finance.

I have two unopened boxes of Matchmakers if that helps, will happily donate if it gets the deal over the line
    Only if they are the Orange ones.

Still, very generous of you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

Addickted said:

I've officially removed the Quality Street/Heroes/Roses offer made pre Christmas and am currently negotiating with Thorntons on their 2019 Easter Egg collection to add back into my revised bid.

Still looking for additional backers to help the Club get past the first week of my ownership, which is what I'm currently able to finance.

I have two unopened boxes of Matchmakers if that helps, will happily donate if it gets the deal over the line
    Only if they are the Orange ones.

Still, very generous of you.
    Have you heard from your contact at EFL yet mate?You said he was back at work this week?
  • Addickted said:

You don't need to look any further than @horsfield9 .
  • Could be great news for makers of plastic kangaroos & hamburgers.
  • A consortium between two countries opposite sides of the world doesn't sit right with me.

I actually think we are better off with RD until another interested party decides to pay the ludicrous price.

The world of business is a very small place and money speaks all language’s
    Des'ree
  • I've heard it might happen by the end of the transfer window.... then again it might not.....
  • Would expect to hear very little mention of us from JW today or any time soon.

I heard he's entered a Trappist Monastery until the deed is done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

There *could* be a situation where the club is owned, 100%, by a consortium of Aussies, whose aspiration is purely on the return they can generate by improving the team (ie by getting promoted to the highest possible level), while the ground is owned, 100%, by a consortium of American investors who are purely and exclusively interested in the capital appreciation that will naturally accrue from a large piece of London real estate, whilst having no intention to develop the site. This would free up the football club to concentrate solely on the football; and free up the real estate investor to make capital gains, notwithstanding the performance of the team.

The main problems with that being that there's nothing to stop the Americans (or whoever) selling it to someone who does want to redevelop the site, and (perhaps a more likely scenario) there's nothing to stop the owners of the ground (the Americans or a subsequent owner) deciding that they'd like change the terms of the lease when it's up for renewal and increase the rent or take a bigger cut of revenue.

Numerous pubs have been forced to close as a result of landlords realising that they can make much more money turning the building into flats or leasing it to Tesco/Sainsburys. The old lease expires, pub can't afford the new terms, 6 months later it's Tesco Express on the ground floor with 6 flats on the upper floors.

You could argue that they couldn't put the rents up excessively because there isn't an alternative tenant for a football stadium, but you then become entirely dependent on Greenwich Council's Planning Department not allowing someone permission to knock it down and build something else there.
  • Where's Red Henry's lot when you need them?
  • Chizz said:

There are some people who think that, in all cases, a situation where the club and the ground are under different ownership is "worse" than the current situation. I don't agree.

Currently, the title of the ground is a convoluted. The ground is owned by Baton, which in turn is c.90% owned by Roland. But there is a charge on the property that is shared, unequally, between seven other investors (the "former directors"). So the club is, in all intents and purposes owned by Roland and the ground is "shared" between Roland and other investors.

There *could* be a situation where the club is owned, 100%, by a consortium of Aussies, whose aspiration is purely on the return they can generate by improving the team (ie by getting promoted to the highest possible level), while the ground is owned, 100%, by a consortium of American investors who are purely and exclusively interested in the capital appreciation that will naturally accrue from a large piece of London real estate, whilst having no intention to develop the site. This would free up the football club to concentrate solely on the football; and free up the real estate investor to make capital gains, notwithstanding the performance of the team.

If anyone thinks that is something that must be avoided at all costs, I have to disagree. Because it implies that there is a preference for the current owner to continue. If that happens, Charlton will cease to exist in a few years' time. We are in terminal decline, with an owner who has no desire to risk any more of his investment and seemingly no clue as to how to exit. Make no mistake about it: with Roland in charge, Charlton will cease to be.

So, does anyone really have a preference to see Charlton fold, rather than have two distinct, committed, professional consortia owning the parts of the club in which their aspirations expertise lie?

I would disagree with that statement, it's more a state of L1 limbo really. Yes players have been sold, but enough have come in to keep us competitive in this league, we have never looked like doing a Leyton Orient, Stockport or Tranmere and plunge down the leagues.

I'd be really frustrated if we end this transfer window still owned by Roland. But that doesn't mean I'd be happy for us to be bought by anyone.

The former directors are irrelevant, a bank or other lender may have a charge over your house/factory, but it doesn't mean they own it.
    But if he still owns us at the end of the season, when most of the current squad are out of contract we could well find ourselves going the same way as the teams that you mention.
  • There there everyone, hush now, Daddy’s going to sing you all to sleep and when you all wake in the morning, you’ll realise it’s just been a terrible dream, that’s all.

Rock a bye CL on the tree top.

Your not my real daddy anyway
    Actually @paulie8290 we need to talk.
    Well where have you been? Working on the moon or summin?
  • Chizz said:

There are some people who think that, in all cases, a situation where the club and the ground are under different ownership is "worse" than the current situation. I don't agree.

Currently, the title of the ground is a convoluted. The ground is owned by Baton, which in turn is c.90% owned by Roland. But there is a charge on the property that is shared, unequally, between seven other investors (the "former directors"). So the club is, in all intents and purposes owned by Roland and the ground is "shared" between Roland and other investors.

If anyone thinks that is something that must be avoided at all costs, I have to disagree. Because it implies that there is a preference for the current owner to continue. If that happens, Charlton will cease to exist in a few years' time. We are in terminal decline, with an owner who has no desire to risk any more of his investment and seemingly no clue as to how to exit. Make no mistake about it: with Roland in charge, Charlton will cease to be.

So, does anyone really have a preference to see Charlton fold, rather than have two distinct, committed, professional consortia owning the parts of the club in which their aspirations expertise lie?

A lot of best case scenarios and guess work here, but the evidence is out there that, very few, if any football clubs have a track record of long term success without owning their stadium and those you can name could be put against a list 5-10 times larger by those who have been unsuccessful.
  • edited January 2019

Can someone please tell me what to make of that.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!