Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• SHOW ME THE MONEY !!!!!!

We'll show someone it FFS
  • J BLOCK said:

Hahaha, talks on going between americans and australian's to unlock money so a bid CAN be made.

Is this where I say they ain’t got the money 8)
    Arise Sir NLA!
  • edited January 2019

• MrLargo said:

Chizz said:

There *could* be a situation where the club is owned, 100%, by a consortium of Aussies, whose aspiration is purely on the return they can generate by improving the team (ie by getting promoted to the highest possible level), while the ground is owned, 100%, by a consortium of American investors who are purely and exclusively interested in the capital appreciation that will naturally accrue from a large piece of London real estate, whilst having no intention to develop the site. This would free up the football club to concentrate solely on the football; and free up the real estate investor to make capital gains, notwithstanding the performance of the team.

The main problems with that being that there's nothing to stop the Americans (or whoever) selling it to someone who does want to redevelop the site, and (perhaps a more likely scenario) there's nothing to stop the owners of the ground (the Americans or a subsequent owner) deciding that they'd like change the terms of the lease when it's up for renewal and increase the rent or take a bigger cut of revenue.

Numerous pubs have been forced to close as a result of landlords realising that they can make much more money turning the building into flats or leasing it to Tesco/Sainsburys. The old lease expires, pub can't afford the new terms, 6 months later it's Tesco Express on the ground floor with 6 flats on the upper floors.

You could argue that they couldn't put the rents up excessively because there isn't an alternative tenant for a football stadium, but you then become entirely dependent on Greenwich Council's Planning Department not allowing someone permission to knock it down and build something else there.
    The biggest problem with this is the fact that they are American.
    Money makes them tick They, I guarantee, will not care one iota about Charlton Athetics Soccer Club.

If we could negotiate a deal with a British landlord I don't think its would be all bad, after all Its worked fine a dandy for West Ham. Perhaps we should get Boris and a Tory pier on board to lend their expertise.
  • What successful British clubs are owned by consortiums?
  • Sponsored links:

• This suggests to me the prospective purchasers are not yet in a position to have presented their plans to the EFL.

If/when they do, I can only hope the EFL have the experience of Coventry firmly in the forefront of their minds before potentially putting Charlton in the same situation a few years down the line.
  • So the Americans need convincing then. And with @Airman Brown saying he's heard prediction they would back away, do you think they sound bothered? These talks are the Aussies going 'Come onnnnn.....' and the US guys going 'Hmmmmm....' eventually winding up at a 50/50 Yay or Nay. While Roland waits because he's said yes to this lot. So how long is a piece of string, when it comes to how long do the US guys take to make their mind up? Here's hoping positive talks are just that, and that they are indeed ongoing and not just done for an hour and a half every week or so....
  • Chunes said:

What successful British clubs are owned by consortiums?

Palace?
  • bobmunro said:

Listening to White first hand on the above is both positive and worrying.

My take, and it's just how I'm reading it not ITK, is that:

They have the money. They are deciding whether to "unlock it" ie put it on the table. That is positive.

The talks weren't between the buyer and seller but between two groups of buyers. That is worrying as buyers still working things out..

Duchatelet is aware of the situation. No sure if that is good or bad as it's not clear if the price has been agreed or not. My worry is the irrational Roland factor can kick in at any time and the price doubles or requires the owners to provide a pint of unicorn's blood.

#teamWIOTOS

I had anticipated this so raided my cellar last night. Fear not, I've got it covered.

Nice one Bob - can you pop back down there and see if there is £40m plus laying around?
  • 1905 said:

bobmunro said:

Listening to White first hand on the above is both positive and worrying.

My take, and it's just how I'm reading it not ITK, is that:

They have the money. They are deciding whether to "unlock it" ie put it on the table. That is positive.

The talks weren't between the buyer and seller but between two groups of buyers. That is worrying as buyers still working things out..

Duchatelet is aware of the situation. No sure if that is good or bad as it's not clear if the price has been agreed or not. My worry is the irrational Roland factor can kick in at any time and the price doubles or requires the owners to provide a pint of unicorn's blood.

#teamWIOTOS

I had anticipated this so raided my cellar last night. Fear not, I've got it covered.

Nice one Bob - can you pop back down there and see if there is £40m plus laying around?
    I'd have to sell some of my Chateau Lafite.
  • 'Unlocking the money?'

Are they robbing a bank?
  • J BLOCK said:

Hahaha, talks on going between americans and australian's to unlock money so a bid CAN be made.

Jesus christ, so they haven't even discussed whether they have enough money yet? I think this is the modern day equivalent of me and my mates scratching round our pockets/wallets at about 5am to see if we've got enough money for the guy who's about to drop off some more gear.

I've got a tenner, so has Paul, John's got a score, Dave how much have you got left?
    Do you think Roland will offer tick?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
    Greenie said:

so according to White, they have had talks to unlock the money so a bid can be made....FFS...so what if they say 25 mil and The Rat says 50 mil.....then they walk away.....?

Its wank, utter wank.

Maybe

Remember this is coming from the broker.

So, imagine the broker approaches Duchatelet, agrees a price with him and then puts together the consortium to buy the club.

So, broker already knows the price, her job (for which she is very well paid, no doubt) is to put the two sides together.
  • edited January 2019
    ross1 said:

the most likely scenario is that the club are a mid to lower Championship side .

Yes please!
    ross1 said:

the Aussies will run out of money within 3 to 4 seasons. If that happens, we then have a football club effectively owned by financial investors with zero interest in owning a football club who just want to liquidate their land asset or sell it on for significantly more than they paid for it.

Oh, okay. No, not that bit.
  • Slightly worrying that these Aussies have been potential buyers for so long without being able to stump up the money ! Roland will be smiling that he offset some of his losses due to JW inaccurate quotes last week, I for one was hoodwinked in to turning up last Saturday.

#justselltheclub
  • Greenie said:

so according to White, they have had talks to unlock the money so a bid can be made....FFS...so what if they say 25 mil and The Rat says 50 mil.....then they walk away.....?

Its wank, utter wank.

Maybe

Remember this is coming from the broker.

So, imagine the broker approaches Duchatelet, agrees a price with him and then puts together the consortium to buy the club.

So, broker already knows the price, her job (for which she is very well paid, no doubt) is to put the two sides together.
    She? Who’s the broker?
  • Vincenzo said:

'Unlocking the money?'

Are they robbing a bank?

It's in a money box , hidden inside a cereal packet in the Kitchen cupboard, all loose change !
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!