Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• The moment I heard that the Aussies were trying to "figure out financing" a couple months ago, I suspected right then that I did not want them, and said so, here. Anything less than someone worth at least several hundred million dollars, and we are toast. long term.

It could get worse than RD. Maybe not in personality, but in operations and ambition. Poor operators rarely do well in football. Especially now.

Andrew Muir ticks your boxes then.

• The moment I heard that the Aussies were trying to "figure out financing" a couple months ago, I suspected right then that I did not want them, and said so, here. Anything less than someone worth at least several hundred million dollars, and we are toast. long term.

It could get worse than RD. Maybe not in personality, but in operations and ambition. Poor operators rarely do well in football. Especially now.

The Aussies then, AFC, are not the Aussies involved now.
    Oy! Argh! It's impossible to keep track of it all!!! 189 pages.
  • The low level investment level to get a seat at the table with the Ozzies was £5-10 million. They were definitely courting bigger fish though.
  • Swisdom said:

Someone ITK on another forum seems to think Roly will keep some form of interest should a purchase go through

So may rumours...oh who to believe

Acworth??

Duchatelet and Meire have shown themselves to have zero ambition for our football club, that is ambition as we the fans, or any football fans, would see it.
    As far as operations go, I have a litany of mistakes and incompetence perpetrated by these a.......s since they took over. Then multiply that by the experiences of thousands of other Addicks.
  • I hear you, but it can get worse. Example... Coventry.

Bollox
  • Sponsored links:

• So was it good news you got yesterday Airman does it look close ??
  • Uboat said:

I know Charlton fans are pessimistic, but the whole, 'What if the new owners are worse than Roland?' mindset is bewildering.

Yeah. Cause there's nobody worse than Roland the whole world over!

Look. I know Roland's a complete chunt, but you'd do well to remember the characters that had their name over the door prior to him. They were by no means football Mecca's with the good of the club at the forefront of their thinking.

There is a very good chance that we could again end up with another bunch of fu*wits pulling the strings.

Good and decent people that are willing to take on any kind of football club are definitely not ten a penny.
    Taking on one in our situation would suggest they are more than a little unhinged!

I so hope this works out but I also think any pessimism is more than justified

Can it?

I really can’t image anybody looking back and saying that any future owners are worse the W@nk3r we have at the moment - I’d put my house on it in fact.
    Coventry basically have no training ground, don't own their own stadium, have dropped to L2 and the current owner can't even find someone who wants to buy the club for £7M. I think they have it worse. Coventry might be the next Leyton Orient.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/38676309/small-attendances-poor-form-ownership-protests---is-coventry-city-a-dying-club
  • DiscoCAFC said:

Someone sent me this, not saying where it’s come from or who the source is. I refuse to believe anything until I see it but it’s always wise to read what you hear. Anyway, I’ll leave it here:

***You are an absolute idiot if you think that this group are going to come along and bring back the glory days!

I have been told some stuff tonight in absolute confidence and I intend to make sure it stays that way so please out of respect don't even ask.

If this Australian consortium take over you can forget Championship football for a very long time.

As for the Premiership?? ...Not in my lifetime and probably not yours either.***

This is the most disturbing post I've ever read on this learned forum. What if it is true? What if we get our longed for takeover then end up with a worse situation than we have now, however unlikely that might seem? Brings a chill to my spine.
    We were all jumping for joy and laughing at the "its happening" gif when the Spivs/Cockney Mafia left the building and a multi millionaire from Belgium walked in.

Look where we are now.

It will take seasons, not months to repair the damage RD has caused and we can only hope any new owner is up to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I could be wrong, but at worst, I think RD would pull out some stops to keep us in L1, because he does understand that to go to L2 would bring our value way down.

People don't like to hear this, but even with the drop to L1, he will sell at a profit. I think he wants to protect that.
  • I could be wrong, but at worst, I think RD would pull out some stops to keep us in L1, because he does understand that to go to L2 would bring our value way down.

People don't like to hear this, but even with the drop to L1, he will sell at a profit. I think he wants to protect that.

I think you are wrong on the first point.

I'm almost certain you are wrong on the second.
    I think you're right, that Napa is wrong.
  • DiscoCAFC said:

Someone sent me this, not saying where it’s come from or who the source is. I refuse to believe anything until I see it but it’s always wise to read what you hear. Anyway, I’ll leave it here:

***You are an absolute idiot if you think that this group are going to come along and bring back the glory days!

I have been told some stuff tonight in absolute confidence and I intend to make sure it stays that way so please out of respect don't even ask.

If this Australian consortium take over you can forget Championship football for a very long time.

As for the Premiership?? ...Not in my lifetime and probably not yours either.***

This is the most disturbing post I've ever read on this learned forum. What if it is true? What if we get our longed for takeover then end up with a worse situation than we have now, however unlikely that might seem? Brings a chill to my spine.
    Written by a chap who only a couple of weeks earlier assured everyone on another forum that the one group not interested in us any more was the Aussies. Enough said.
  • edited December 2017
    Henry, I am willing to put a friendly £100 wager on point two, if you choose. Lemme know. We can settle up with a wire transfer, after the fact.

He purchased us for £20M (see article, below.) All the losses have been added to debt, for which he is earning 3% interest this whole time. Any new owners will have to take over all that debt. He will sell for more than £20M. Mark my words. Also, Lookman's profitable sale will count in this years books, as will Konsa, all of which he will probably pocket on the way out. He has many ways to sell for a profit.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I am pretty confident he will profit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/belgian-tycoon-roland-duch-telet-completes-20m-charlton-athletic-takeover-9038120.html
  • Of course it can get worse under the Belgians..
    Here we are in the week ROT were formed I take it as in the hope it's the final nail in the coffin for the Belgians.
    But if they are still here in febuary we want them to bolster the squad in January.

• It is amazing that a political party has formed just to be against one person. Even Trump can't claim that. Yet.
  • edited December 2017

Henry, I am willing to put a friendly £100 wager on point two, if you choose. Lemme know. We can settle up with a wire transfer, after the fact.

He purchased us for £20M (see article, below.) All the losses have been added to debt, for which he is earning 3% interest this whole time. Any new owners will have to take over all that debt. He will sell for more than £20M. Mark my words. Also, Lookman's profitable sale will count in this years books, as will Konsa, all of which he will probably pocket on the way out. He has many ways to sell for a profit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/belgian-tycoon-roland-duch-telet-completes-20m-charlton-athletic-takeover-9038120.html

Lookman’s sale was in 16/17. The upfront fee is already spent offsetting operating losses. Konsa will be in 17/18.

If anyone took over “all the debt” plus what he paid they would be undertaking to pay back his initial outlay twice over, because it is in the books as debt, accruing interest.

The company cannot conceivably pay back “all the debt” outside the PL and RD cannot be sure any new owner will get there.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!