Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Redhenry said:

The one i heard wasn't Muir

That's not good then. I get the impression that Muir and Mcleish are close to a deal, what with attendance in last two games and being murray's guests.
  • CAFCTrev said:

This is obvs the british consortium. Reading the rangers fans comments, Muir basically seems like a Scottish RD. Really dont like this!

I don’t think Muir is the slightest like Duchâtelet. One is a non mega rich finance industry man and the other a billionaire (?) businessman.

• J BLOCK said:

Redhenry said:

That's not good then. I get the impression that Muir and Mcleish are close to a deal, what with attendance in last two games and being murray's guests.
    I don't think it means they are close (or that they aren't).

It just means they were at the game. My guess would be that they are not close as they are still looking at the club, seeing what needs doing etc etc.

We just don't know.
  • Davo55 said:

From No one and no where is there evidence that Muir and McLeish have the 50 mil that Roland wants to sell the club , from what I heard they are the front for others and just looking at the state of play, on the pitch and what the main issues are off it

It’s all part of being diligent

The biggest problem now is that unless the buyers are super minted or Refbull they ain’t going to be good enough

But why would potential buyers use McLeish/Muir for that? Without disrespect to either, it seems an odd choice.
    Ex players move in the same circles as some seriously rich people. As GH posted earlier up the thread, Mcleish and Muir could just be working on behalf of someone else as part of their DD and that is where the relationship ends.

At this point, no one knows and the only place the Scotch paper and Rangers forum seem to be getting their info from is here, so where in effect winding ourselves up with our own speculation

• Spot on Henry. But I'd be surprised if the money men weren't in place by now, to some degree at least?

I think what we're all dreaming of is some mega rich foreign investors taking a punt on getting us into the Premier League, in the style of an Abramovich. Muir has real expertise in turning businesses around, but what worries me is that football isn't really like any other business. The failure of FFP has demonstrated that.

Muir is an acknowledged 'turnaround expert':

“It was buying, merging, expanding and disposing of a lot of businesses,” he says. “I was doing change management from the start, so I became a turnround expert while still in corporate life.”

“Very often we inherit a ‘train crash’, so the key is to find signs of life in the form of committed people, so you can turn the bits back into something healthy,” he says.

“You must show people the way forward by focusing on the outcomes, getting them to buy in and motivating them to deliver. No turnround professional can succeed on their own, but you must be very disciplined and rigid in how you drive things through.”

“People often say that they have been in the organisation for 25 years and I cannot possibly understand the business,” he says. “I tell them that a pound note is the same in any sector and we need to generate cash.

“If you tried to understand all the detailed complexities of every troubled business your head would blow up,” says Mr Muir. “I distil everything down to half a dozen points and use my experience to maximum effect.”

“We have to put leadership and discipline quickly back into an ailing organisation and instil logical and commercial thinking,” he says. “We nurse it back to strong financial performance as soon as conveniently possible, but it takes a major infusion of energy to make it happen!”

It's just very hard to effect change in one club while others (your competition) aren't necessarily playing by the same rules.

But it's all speculation at the moment, we know very little really.

Except that the soap opera continues.
  • - Alex McLeish's last club was Zamalek
    - Zamalek is the nickname given to Carling Black Label, a beer in South Africa
    - McLeish fronting South African investors confirmed
  • Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

From No one and no where is there evidence that Muir and McLeish have the 50 mil that Roland wants to sell the club , from what I heard they are the front for others and just looking at the state of play, on the pitch and what the main issues are off it

The biggest problem now is that unless the buyers are super minted or Refbull they ain’t going to be good enough

But why would potential buyers use McLeish/Muir for that? Without disrespect to either, it seems an odd choice.
    Why not?

D. Muir is an international finance person. If they asked him to find a football person to have a look at the club it makes sense that he'd ask his life long friend and international football manager Alex McLeish who has won trophies in Scotland and England as a manager and was part of the very successful Aberdeen side of the 70s and 80s as a player under Fergie. I don't see it as an add choice at all. He's got a more impressive CV than any Charlton manager under Roland (including SCP).

OR maybe we've got this all the wrong way round. Maybe Muir and McLeish see the potential in Charlton, think it can be turned around (Muir's area of expertise) and so are putting together a prospectus to present to financial big hitters that they can access via D Muir. Maybe there are no buyers behind M & M yet.

As I wrote when Duchatelet took over the Chinese word for change is made up of two other Chinese words "opportunity" and "risk".

Four years on we are back at the same point again.
    Simply that if I was an Australian or Arab money man I think I would be most unlikely to commission these two gentleman to run their eye over the club for me. If I was a British/Scottish money man it might be a different view.
    Wouldn't it make more sense for an Arab or South African buyer to use Brits to review a British purchase?

If any of us where buying a house in France would we speak to our local estate agent or find a French agency? Which would we trust to know more about the local rules, market, issues, etc?

I don't know what all the connections are or who is with who doing what.

I do think McLeish and D Muir are a huge step up from Fraeye, Driesen and Meire.
    But surely we should try for a standard higher than that?

It's noteworthy that I haven't seen anyone in football say anything positive about Muir. And McLeish was a terrible manager (who managed Bowyer at Birmingham I believe).
  • Sponsored links:

• You [McCleish & Muir] are only here to watch the Charlton!
  • McLeish was a pretty successful manager in Scotland and is quite a decent bloke, I think. He's a good friend of Sir Alex.
  • Could Muir (the Scottish one) be working on behlaf of RD to broker a deal?
  • Could Muir (the Scottish one) be working on behlaf of RD to broker a deal?

His track record is more in turnaround than broking though guess they are quite closely related.
  • I have heard there's a meeting on Thursday with Muir and the group who are interested in to buy us, South Africans i beleive.

Covered End need to start practising to get this good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTtINHRja4k
  • DA9 said:

I disagree, the owners who took us to the Premier league were not minted in today’s terms.
    What we need is caring, sensible football people with good business sense, willing to invest wisely and cost effectively.
    Buying success is one thing, long term stability and growth better IMO.
    The world of football has changed a lot in 20 years though, back in the 90s there were virtually no foreign owners, and the second tier was run on a much more sensible financial footing.

Now the Championship is a financial disaster zone, as owners desperately try to chase promotion.
  • DA9 said:

shirty5 said:

craigcafc said:

Mark McGhee there with McLeish tonight as well by the looks of things...

More people in the Director's box than in the rest of the stadium!

Rowley Birkin QC alongside McLeish again, but this time Mark Strong has appeared in a light jacket and dark gloves.
    Looks like Malky Mackay to his left
    That's Mark McGhee I believe ex Aberdeen player and manager, he would have played in the same team as McLeish
    McGhee is currently the Barnet manager, so I imagine he's there as a favour for his friend. Unless he's looking at one of our youngsters for a loan signing

Former Millwall manager as well...
  • Sponsored links:

• Muir used to live in Orpington (indeed may still do so) so there may be more to this than immediately meets the eye.
  • Muir used to live in Orpington (indeed may still do so) so there may be more to this than immediately meets the eye.

Sounds like a sensible chap
  • I have heard there's a meeting on Thursday with Muir and the group who are interested in to buy us, South Africans i beleive.

I may well have missed something on the skim read but where did the SA thing come in?!

Interestingly enough, so does Rio Ferdinand!

It's happening I tell thee!
    AND... Rio is a Scottish name, er no it's not!

Panic over.
  • PaddyP17 said:

I have heard there's a meeting on Thursday with Muir and the group who are interested in to buy us, South Africans i beleive.

I may well have missed something on the skim read but where did the SA thing come in?!
    I was told about Muir and South Africans before Christmas, didn't know weather to believe it as his name wasn't mentioned before, but do now. especially as Donald Muir has now been seen a couple of times.
  • J BLOCK said:

Redhenry said:

I don't think it means they are close (or that they aren't).

It just means they were at the game. My guess would be that they are not close as they are still looking at the club, seeing what needs doing etc etc.

We just don't know.
    To turn up for a Checkatrade match, does strongly suggest active interest, as they would know the Mickey Mouse nature of the fixture with players being rested and empty stands.

I imagine that IF they are interested they would want to conclude a deal asap due to the artificial deadline of the transfer window
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!