Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Here is the full list of people currently undertaking due diligence at the club:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muir_(surname)

Gonna be waiting a while for this Muir to takeover the club then!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Muir_of_Huntershill
  • It is astonishing that football club owners expect to be made whole on their 'investment' - if I bought the equity of a listed company which delivered four consecutive years of losses and had no medium-term prospect of delivering any profits/cashflow, would I expect to be able to sell it back in the market at the same price I bought it at?

This 100%

Add to the fact that the only way to make a football club profitable is the outside chance of reaching and staying in the Premiership

These are successful businessman. They must know this. You buy them at your peril
  • DA9 said:

DA9 said:

From No one and no where is there evidence that Muir and McLeish have the 50 mil that Roland wants to sell the club , from what I heard they are the front for others and just looking at the state of play, on the pitch and what the main issues are off it

It’s all part of being diligent

The biggest problem now is that unless the buyers are super minted or Refbull they ain’t going to be good enough

I disagree, the owners who took us to the Premier league were not minted in today’s terms.
    What we need is caring, sensible football people with good business sense, willing to invest wisely and cost effectively.
    Buying success is one thing, long term stability and growth better IMO.
    The world of football has changed a lot in 20 years though, back in the 90s there were virtually no foreign owners, and the second tier was run on a much more sensible financial footing.

Now the Championship is a financial disaster zone, as owners desperately try to chase promotion.
    My point being, RD is loaded, the richest owner we’ve ever had, but it did zilch for us, all the money in the world does not guarantee success if they are the wrong people, making the wrong decisions.
    This
  • Sponsored links:

• It is astonishing that football club owners expect to be made whole on their 'investment' - if I bought the equity of a listed company which delivered four consecutive years of losses and had no medium-term prospect of delivering any profits/cashflow, would I expect to be able to sell it back in the market at the same price I bought it at?

Another analogy.
    If I bought a house in a good state of repair in a nice part of town, picked it up and moved it to a much rougher neighborhood and let it fall to rack and ruin should I expect to get back what I payed for it when I put it back on the market?
  • SDAddick said:

Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

From No one and no where is there evidence that Muir and McLeish have the 50 mil that Roland wants to sell the club , from what I heard they are the front for others and just looking at the state of play, on the pitch and what the main issues are off it

It’s all part of being diligent

The biggest problem now is that unless the buyers are super minted or Refbull they ain’t going to be good enough

But why would potential buyers use McLeish/Muir for that? Without disrespect to either, it seems an odd choice.
    Why not?

D. Muir is an international finance person. If they asked him to find a football person to have a look at the club it makes sense that he'd ask his life long friend and international football manager Alex McLeish who has won trophies in Scotland and England as a manager and was part of the very successful Aberdeen side of the 70s and 80s as a player under Fergie. I don't see it as an add choice at all. He's got a more impressive CV than any Charlton manager under Roland (including SCP).

OR maybe we've got this all the wrong way round. Maybe Muir and McLeish see the potential in Charlton, think it can be turned around (Muir's area of expertise) and so are putting together a prospectus to present to financial big hitters that they can access via D Muir. Maybe there are no buyers behind M & M yet.

As I wrote when Duchatelet took over the Chinese word for change is made up of two other Chinese words "opportunity" and "risk".

Four years on we are back at the same point again.
    Simply that if I was an Australian or Arab money man I think I would be most unlikely to commission these two gentleman to run their eye over the club for me. If I was a British/Scottish money man it might be a different view.
    Wouldn't it make more sense for an Arab or South African buyer to use Brits to review a British purchase?

If any of us where buying a house in France would we speak to our local estate agent or find a French agency? Which would we trust to know more about the local rules, market, issues, etc?

I don't know what all the connections are or who is with who doing what.

I do think McLeish and D Muir are a huge step up from Fraeye, Driesen and Meire.
    But surely we should try for a standard higher than that?

It's noteworthy that I haven't seen anyone in football say anything positive about Muir. And McLeish was a terrible manager (who managed Bowyer at Birmingham I believe).
    McLeish won the treble at Rangers, won the league twice (despite the financial melt-down at Ibrox, got Birmingham promoted and won the league cup with them.

I don't think he's a great manager nor would I want him as Charlton boss but lets not pretend that he was "terrible" as the record proves that wrong.
    He is terrible.

His treble winning Rangers side had Ricksen, Numan and Amoruso at the back, Ronald de boer, Arteta and Barry Ferguson in midfield, and going forward had Mols, Lovenkrands, Caniggia and Arveladze. Russell Slade could've won trophies with that lot.

Yes he got Birmingham promoted.........after he got them relegated. And yes he won the league cup (which to be fair was an amazing achievement) but in the same season he got them relegated again.

Sacked by Villa after one season.

Has managed 7 games in English football since May 2012.

I hope and pray he doesn't become our manager.
    Still on his CV as a promotion regardless, like KR, proves with the right backing he can do a job.

• craigcafc said:

Mark McGhee there with McLeish tonight as well by the looks of things...

More people in the Director's box than in the rest of the stadium!

Rod Stewart back row with a tinny.
    McLeish and Muir bringing crackheads from Glasgow to feel at home?

(no offence if that's anyone on this site or if you know this person)
  • PriceWaterhouseCoopers - Seriously big firm.

What I still don't understand is that we were told that nothing is happening, nothing had happened and DD hadn't taken place yet Airman has all these dates and names.

I think VOTV must be making it all up as there is no way the other ITK person is wrong, he never is : - )
    Jesus, you like making a point don't you
  • So the Greek guy got PwC to do DD which introduced Muir who then got AM to be potential DoF?

Seems like it’s pretty close to done if Mcleish has started coming to games
  • Ah !

That hit the spot.

Can always rely on AB to put a smile back on Fanny's face ......

:smile:

Four years of losses but still only 2 promotions from the Premiership. Charlton's potential earnings will always be significantly higher than a lot of established clubs in the top leagues in Europe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Muir's experience with PwC dwarfs Katrien Meire's.
  • Is RD allowed to sell players if he's in due diligence?

I would say no. I sold my business last year and whilst the DD was taking place we were not allowed to pay suppliers. The DD is to give as accurate picture of the finances as possible so a balance is key i.e. nothing big coming in and nothing big going out.
    Akinfenwa rumour killed but ricky can leave then mike.
  • Showing enormous courage, I have returned again this morning to witness the wreckage which used to be called Charlton Athletic. Is missing the first three penalties a league record ?
    Am I the only one becoming suspicious about our list of injuries ? As the goons would have said, is there some clever plan Eccles ? Thinking about it, is Roland a secret survivor of that bunch of comedians ? After all he had the brilliant idea to appoint a young lawyer with apparently no experience either of running a football club or indeed running a company, as our CEO ! I suppose at least she gave us the pleasure of watching her bench go up in flames.
    See you all if the idiot ever leaves.
  • seems to me that Muir was just a financial Red Adair

cue jokes about Ginger rogers
  • So the Greek guy got PwC to do DD which introduced Muir who then got AM to be potential DoF?

Seems like it’s pretty close to done if Mcleish has started coming to games

At one time McLeish was a fairly regular visitor at Sparrows Lane for Academy games .

PriceWaterhouseCoopers - Seriously big firm.

What I still don't understand is that we were told that nothing is happening, nothing had happened and DD hadn't taken place yet Airman has all these dates and names.

I think VOTV must be making it all up as there is no way the other ITK person is wrong, he never is : - )
    Jesus, you like making a point don't you
    He's not the only one
  • I expect these potential purchasers are aware that RD is desperate to sell, so will be bidding low. Which is probably the only way to make the purchase even remotely viable.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!