Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• edited March 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

The Aussies being pissed off isn't good news in my opinion. They have been in the process a long while so are obviously interested and committed and may be our best, nay only, hope. If they pull out we could be well and truly fucked for a while yet.

Would you refuse to buy a genuinely one off thing that you really wanted, just because the current owner of the thing is a bit of a bell end?

I wouldn't and if they don't want us enough to overcome Duchatelet's bullshittery then they can move along too... I only want a genuine owner who 100% wants to invest in the club.
    He's not being a bit of a bell-end though is he? He's seems to be negotiating in bad faith. The price agreed with the Australians turns out not to be the price agreed as Roland appears to be trying to engineer some sort of outbidding/gazumping scenario with other buyers. I wouldn't blame them at all for walking away.
  • edited March 2018
    Missed It said:

Dazzler21 said:

The Aussies being pissed off isn't good news in my opinion. They have been in the process a long while so are obviously interested and committed and may be our best, nay only, hope. If they pull out we could be well and truly fucked for a while yet.

Would you refuse to buy a genuinely one off thing that you really wanted, just because the current owner of the thing is a bit of a bell end?

I wouldn't and if they don't want us enough to overcome Duchatelet's bullshittery then they can move along too... I only want a genuine owner who 100% wants to invest in the club.
    He's not being a bit of a bell-end though is he? He's seems to be negotiating in bad faith. The price agreed with the Australians turns out not to be the price agreed as Roland appears to be trying to engineer some sort of outbidding/gazumping scenario with other buyers. I wouldn't blame them at all for walking away.
    Bell end behaviour and bullshittery confirmed.

I shall re-iterate if they don't want us enough to overcome Duchatelet's bullshittery then they can move along too... I only want a genuine owner who 100% wants to invest in the club.

If you truly want the thing, the seller doesn't matter. You stick to your guns and re-iterate your price.

If the owner receives a higher offer from another potential buyer, then it sucks but you EITHER pay more for the thing you want as someone else is willing to pay more than you offered, or you let the thing go to someone who is willing to spend on it.
  • Can anyone tell me the rent I should charge if anyone lands on the house I have in Park Lane?
  • Amanda Staveley told me her Middle East investors pulled out of the Newcastle bid cos Mike Ashley because he was asking too much!! So people do walk away
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Amanda Staveley told me her Middle East investors pulled out of the Newcastle bid cos Mike Ashley because he was asking too much!! So people do walk away

Ashley's gamble is that Newcastle will stay up, and he will get a better price. Get relegated and the value of the club will crash
  • Sponsored links:

• _MrDick said:

The Aussies were very unhappy with Murray's statement that the price had been agreed with a second party, I'm told.

I bet they were hopping mad ..:
    They must think he's very Roo-de
  • The Aussies were very unhappy with Murray's statement that the price had been agreed with a second party, I'm told.

This must be the worst takeover in football history
    I'd have thought that the last four years demonstrated that Roly's was the worst takeover in football history.

This is merely a piss-poor process.
  • How do people like Rolly make the best part of 500 million while being such a fuckin dinlow, or is everyone missing something?

I don’t think anyone can blame him for trying to get the best price for the club.

The blokes a complete prick and his valuation was way too high admittedly, but he’s clearly taken the gamble to create a bidding war.

It was always going to come to which party will be be the most patient with his gameplan.

From what I was told recently, he’s been trying to add money on if we were promoted. I now genuinely believe we won’t be sold until he knows we can’t go up
    I could understand your point if he was selling Harrods or a market leader like err Arsenal ( ;) ). But we're a 3rd tier football club so I would've thought he's lucky to get any interest, specially at his asking price. If it were me, I'd be worried of all parties calling my bluff and pulling out
    I completely agree about the bluffing and that has always been a concern.

We might not be Harrods or Arsenal but in fairness, we are still talking about a lot of money. If you were selling your house for 300k and two people offered 250k, I think most of us would use the two interested parties to drive up the price.
    I would ask myself, am I asking too much?
    agreed, but would you go back and say ok I am asking for too much, just pay me 250k. Or would you try and get 275 and use the two interested parties to get it?
  • Regardless of the price wanted, once an agreement is reached between a buyer and a seller, any attempt by either party to renegotiate the price is out of order. That is assuming the price agreed is after surveys / valuations have been completed.
    However we don't know what the agreement between the Aussies and Duche is. Obviously not enough to take the business out of the sale process.
  • Missed It said:

Dazzler21 said:

Missed It said:

Dazzler21 said:

I shall re-iterate if they don't want us enough to overcome Duchatelet's bullshittery then they can move along too... I only want a genuine owner who 100% wants to invest in the club.

If you truly want the thing, the seller doesn't matter. You stick to your guns and re-iterate your price.

If the owner receives a higher offer from another potential buyer, then it sucks but you EITHER pay more for the thing you want as someone else is willing to pay more than you offered, or you let the thing go to someone who is willing to spend on it.

It's not a question of really, really wanting it. There are no billionaire Charlton fans who really, really want the club.

Any buyer is looking at this from a business perspective and the possible return on their investment. Paying for Roland's mistakes is not a good investment.

Roland isn't really interested in selling anyway, if he was the club would be priced to sell. All he's interested in is getting back the money he was foolish enough to give to Daisy to burn. He's in danger of losing all of the bidders in his ham-fisted attempts to screw more cash out of them.
    He is interested in selling, but he doesn't want to be seen as losing to the protesters.
  • johnny73 said:

Regardless of the price wanted, once an agreement is reached between a buyer and a seller, any attempt by either party to renegotiate the price is out of order. That is assuming the price agreed is after surveys / valuations have been completed.
    However we don't know what the agreement between the Aussies and Duche is. Obviously not enough to take the business out of the sale process.

It might be out of order, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Until the sale is concluded anything can happen.
  • JamesSeed said:

Missed It said:

Dazzler21 said:

Missed It said:

Dazzler21 said:

It's not a question of really, really wanting it. There are no billionaire Charlton fans who really, really want the club.

Any buyer is looking at this from a business perspective and the possible return on their investment. Paying for Roland's mistakes is not a good investment.

Roland isn't really interested in selling anyway, if he was the club would be priced to sell. All he's interested in is getting back the money he was foolish enough to give to Daisy to burn. He's in danger of losing all of the bidders in his ham-fisted attempts to screw more cash out of them.
    He is interested in selling, but he doesn't want to be seen as losing to the protesters.
    It doesn't matter what he wants it to look like, we know (and so does every bugger else) that he wouldn't be selling now if it wasn't for the skillful campaign conducted by all factions of the protest movement.
  • edited March 2018

How do people like Rolly make the best part of 500 million while being such a fuckin dinlow, or is everyone missing something?

First, it's around €1bn not half that. Second, my guess is that he may well be the archetypal geek. He has a Phd in electronic engineering. I doubt he's someone you'd let see you across the road safely. So, he may well be a sort of Belgian Sheldon Cooper: brilliant but dysfunctional. Third I expect a lot of his wealth has come from one idea at the right time and right place: think Alan Sugar. The world is full of such individuals; unfortunately for 99.999% of them their idea is at the wrong time and wrong place.

The more interesting question is how does someone go from being a sales manager at Alcatel, then marketing manager at a German semi-conductor business called Elmos to where he is now? That transformation happened in the mid-1990s, when he would have been in his early fifties. To put that into context, around the same age I was planning my retirement.
    So, for the first 30 years, my most charitable description of his career would have been "slow-burn". then take-off into the stratosphere. How did that happen?
    Addickted said:

But Duchatalet is an expert at mergers and acquisitions. He knows everything about them and how to close the deal to his satisfaction.

He's told us that himself, on the record, don't the Aussies know this?

As well as the aforementioned Phd, he also has a BSc in applied economic sciences (whatever they are), so he should have a bit of an idea about M&A. Which makes the whole process even more of a mystery.

Dizzle said:

Please be the rich guys please be the rich guys

We have a rich owner now. If the new owner has money the question should be are they going to invest in the club?
    But a new rich owner is surely a better option than a poor new owner as a starting point?
  • Sponsored links:

• I believe most of his money has come from owning patents.
  • The Aussies were very unhappy with Murray's statement that the price had been agreed with a second party, I'm told.

Presumably the Aussies are aware of the second (third ?) party so why exactly would they be very unhappy with Murray’s statement.

I didn’t fully understand the conclusions we were supposed to make surrounding Murray’s statement anyway.

Presumably the Aussies are aware of the second (third ?) party so why exactly would they be very unhappy with Murray’s statement.

I didn’t fully understand the conclusions we were supposed to make surrounding Murray’s statement anyway.

Well I would assume that they didn't. Most people agreeing a price with someone & proceeding to getting their lawyers to draft sale & purchase documents would safely assume that the f***king idiot of a seller wouldn't be playing games & that once agreed then that would be that. Just a shame that RD wasn't an Englishman as a handshake would be good enough as "my word is my bond"

Well if every numpty on a fans forum knows about the second party and the Aussies didn’t then they must be pretty damned stupid.

• [In my head] "I hate this thread I hate this thread I hate this thread"

[Types] "Anyone considered if the new owners might have plans to move us to the peninsula?"

Murray's statement was a ruse to get the other unknown group to get their ass into gear..
    This won't end well.

Charlton could fall into a barrel of tits and still come out sucking it's thumb!
    Exqueeze me, thats one of mine!
  • Football is in a funny and dangerous place now. The sums required to be competitive are so large, that the "local businessman putting something back into their local club" types are completely priced out of all clubs in the the top 2 or 3 divisions, unless a club is incredibly lucky. And even then (e.g. at Palace or Swansea) the next phase involved foreign investors

You look at all the takeovers of clubs in recent years, in how many cases were the new owners genuine fans?
  • It was a very unusual statement, I would say it must have been deliberate. I see that a reasonable amount on transactions normally through unattributed press releases to the media.

Not always successful as it can annoy people a lot and cause an early bidder, who thinks they may be exclusive, to get so upset they just leave.....

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!