Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    johnny73 said:

Regardless of the price wanted, once an agreement is reached between a buyer and a seller, any attempt by either party to renegotiate the price is out of order. That is assuming the price agreed is after surveys / valuations have been completed.
    However we don't know what the agreement between the Aussies and Duche is. Obviously not enough to take the business out of the sale process.

It might be out of order, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Until the sale is concluded anything can happen.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Missed It said:

Dazzler21 said:

Missed It said:

Dazzler21 said:

The Aussies being pissed off isn't good news in my opinion. They have been in the process a long while so are obviously interested and committed and may be our best, nay only, hope. If they pull out we could be well and truly fucked for a while yet.

Would you refuse to buy a genuinely one off thing that you really wanted, just because the current owner of the thing is a bit of a bell end?

I wouldn't and if they don't want us enough to overcome Duchatelet's bullshittery then they can move along too... I only want a genuine owner who 100% wants to invest in the club.
    He's not being a bit of a bell-end though is he? He's seems to be negotiating in bad faith. The price agreed with the Australians turns out not to be the price agreed as Roland appears to be trying to engineer some sort of outbidding/gazumping scenario with other buyers. I wouldn't blame them at all for walking away.
    Bell end behaviour and bullshittery confirmed.

I shall re-iterate if they don't want us enough to overcome Duchatelet's bullshittery then they can move along too... I only want a genuine owner who 100% wants to invest in the club.

If you truly want the thing, the seller doesn't matter. You stick to your guns and re-iterate your price.

If the owner receives a higher offer from another potential buyer, then it sucks but you EITHER pay more for the thing you want as someone else is willing to pay more than you offered, or you let the thing go to someone who is willing to spend on it.

It's not a question of really, really wanting it. There are no billionaire Charlton fans who really, really want the club.

Any buyer is looking at this from a business perspective and the possible return on their investment. Paying for Roland's mistakes is not a good investment.

Roland isn't really interested in selling anyway, if he was the club would be priced to sell. All he's interested in is getting back the money he was foolish enough to give to Daisy to burn. He's in danger of losing all of the bidders in his ham-fisted attempts to screw more cash out of them.
    He is interested in selling, but he doesn't want to be seen as losing to the protesters.
    It doesn't matter what he wants it to look like, we know (and so does every bugger else) that he wouldn't be selling now if it wasn't for the skillful campaign conducted by all factions of the protest movement.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

How do people like Rolly make the best part of 500 million while being such a fuckin dinlow, or is everyone missing something?

First, it's around €1bn not half that. Second, my guess is that he may well be the archetypal geek. He has a Phd in electronic engineering. I doubt he's someone you'd let see you across the road safely. So, he may well be a sort of Belgian Sheldon Cooper: brilliant but dysfunctional. Third I expect a lot of his wealth has come from one idea at the right time and right place: think Alan Sugar. The world is full of such individuals; unfortunately for 99.999% of them their idea is at the wrong time and wrong place.

The more interesting question is how does someone go from being a sales manager at Alcatel, then marketing manager at a German semi-conductor business called Elmos to where he is now? That transformation happened in the mid-1990s, when he would have been in his early fifties. To put that into context, around the same age I was planning my retirement.
    So, for the first 30 years, my most charitable description of his career would have been "slow-burn". then take-off into the stratosphere. How did that happen?
    Addickted said:

But Duchatalet is an expert at mergers and acquisitions. He knows everything about them and how to close the deal to his satisfaction.

He's told us that himself, on the record, don't the Aussies know this?

As well as the aforementioned Phd, he also has a BSc in applied economic sciences (whatever they are), so he should have a bit of an idea about M&A. Which makes the whole process even more of a mystery.

Dizzle said:

Please be the rich guys please be the rich guys

We have a rich owner now. If the new owner has money the question should be are they going to invest in the club?
    But a new rich owner is surely a better option than a poor new owner as a starting point?
  • Options
    I believe most of his money has come from owning patents.
  • Options

The Aussies were very unhappy with Murray's statement that the price had been agreed with a second party, I'm told.

Presumably the Aussies are aware of the second (third ?) party so why exactly would they be very unhappy with Murray’s statement.

I didn’t fully understand the conclusions we were supposed to make surrounding Murray’s statement anyway.

• Options

The Aussies were very unhappy with Murray's statement that the price had been agreed with a second party, I'm told.

Presumably the Aussies are aware of the second (third ?) party so why exactly would they be very unhappy with Murray’s statement.

I didn’t fully understand the conclusions we were supposed to make surrounding Murray’s statement anyway.

Well I would assume that they didn't. Most people agreeing a price with someone & proceeding to getting their lawyers to draft sale & purchase documents would safely assume that the f***king idiot of a seller wouldn't be playing games & that once agreed then that would be that. Just a shame that RD wasn't an Englishman as a handshake would be good enough as "my word is my bond"

Well if every numpty on a fans forum knows about the second party and the Aussies didn’t then they must be pretty damned stupid.

• Options
    [In my head] "I hate this thread I hate this thread I hate this thread"

[Types] "Anyone considered if the new owners might have plans to move us to the peninsula?"
  • Options

Murray's statement was a ruse to get the other unknown group to get their ass into gear..
    This won't end well.

Charlton could fall into a barrel of tits and still come out sucking it's thumb!
    Exqueeze me, thats one of mine!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Football is in a funny and dangerous place now. The sums required to be competitive are so large, that the "local businessman putting something back into their local club" types are completely priced out of all clubs in the the top 2 or 3 divisions, unless a club is incredibly lucky. And even then (e.g. at Palace or Swansea) the next phase involved foreign investors

You look at all the takeovers of clubs in recent years, in how many cases were the new owners genuine fans?
  • Options
    It was a very unusual statement, I would say it must have been deliberate. I see that a reasonable amount on transactions normally through unattributed press releases to the media.

Not always successful as it can annoy people a lot and cause an early bidder, who thinks they may be exclusive, to get so upset they just leave.....

• Options

Murray's statement was a ruse to get the other unknown group to get their ass into gear..
    This won't end well.

Charlton could fall into a barrel of tits and still come out sucking it's thumb!
    Respect due for the deep office knowledge!
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Do you know what ones he owns?
  • Options

This won't end well.

I hope you're not claiming to have invented it. That would be awkward.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

How do people like Rolly make the best part of 500 million while being such a fuckin dinlow, or is everyone missing something?

First, it's around €1bn not half that. Second, my guess is that he may well be the archetypal geek. He has a Phd in electronic engineering. I doubt he's someone you'd let see you across the road safely. So, he may well be a sort of Belgian Sheldon Cooper: brilliant but dysfunctional. Third I expect a lot of his wealth has come from one idea at the right time and right place: think Alan Sugar. The world is full of such individuals; unfortunately for 99.999% of them their idea is at the wrong time and wrong place.

The more interesting question is how does someone go from being a sales manager at Alcatel, then marketing manager at a German semi-conductor business called Elmos to where he is now? That transformation happened in the mid-1990s, when he would have been in his early fifties. To put that into context, around the same age I was planning my retirement.
    So, for the first 30 years, my most charitable description of his career would have been "slow-burn". then take-off into the stratosphere. How did that happen?
    Addickted said:

But Duchatalet is an expert at mergers and acquisitions. He knows everything about them and how to close the deal to his satisfaction.

He's told us that himself, on the record, don't the Aussies know this?

As well as the aforementioned Phd, he also has a BSc in applied economic sciences (whatever they are), so he should have a bit of an idea about M&A. Which makes the whole process even more of a mystery.

Dizzle said:

Please be the rich guys please be the rich guys

We have a rich owner now. If the new owner has money the question should be are they going to invest in the club?
    But a new rich owner is surely a better option than a poor new owner as a starting point?
    I think the big difference between Roland’s football and electronics businesses is the people with whom he surrounds himself. For Charlton we had Meire & Driesen – enough said! But for Melexis his associates are Rudi De Winter and Françoise Chombar. You can read about them and their connection with Roland in this article about members of Belgium’s “Rich List”, and I suspect they are in no small part responsible for the success of the business. https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://derijkstebelgen.be/vermogende/rudi-de-winter-en-francoise-chombar/&prev=search
  • Options
    I think the rat is enjoying putting us through the mill, he can afford to ponce around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uboat said:

This won't end well.

I hope you're not claiming to have invented it. That would be awkward.
    Its a niche 'The Office' reference
  • Options

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

I believe he is/was one of the first getting on board with radar guided cruise control and parking sensors. He’s a very intelligent engineer.
    Pretty sure that’s the basis for his patents though not sure if he designed himself or just saw the potential and invested at the right time
  • Options

I have no sympathy for The Aussies. Seeing as they are conducting there business in secrecy which is totally understandable then it's laughable if they've been upset with Murray's statement.

I could have some sympathy if it was on record officially they were in the running but the last I checked it's all been unconfirmed reports or rumours, no hard quotes from The Aussies to confirm there interest. Murray's statement didn't specify anybody either so IMO The Aussies don't have anything to get upset about based on the game they're playing.

And if Murray's statement really upset them that much then they should either get on with it and do the deal or pull out simple as that. Happy for them to pull out so long as RedHenry's group are still at the table.
  • Options
    Nug said:

JamesSeed said:

Missed It said:

Dazzler21 said:

Missed It said:

Dazzler21 said:

The Aussies being pissed off isn't good news in my opinion. They have been in the process a long while so are obviously interested and committed and may be our best, nay only, hope. If they pull out we could be well and truly fucked for a while yet.

Would you refuse to buy a genuinely one off thing that you really wanted, just because the current owner of the thing is a bit of a bell end?

I wouldn't and if they don't want us enough to overcome Duchatelet's bullshittery then they can move along too... I only want a genuine owner who 100% wants to invest in the club.
    He's not being a bit of a bell-end though is he? He's seems to be negotiating in bad faith. The price agreed with the Australians turns out not to be the price agreed as Roland appears to be trying to engineer some sort of outbidding/gazumping scenario with other buyers. I wouldn't blame them at all for walking away.
    Bell end behaviour and bullshittery confirmed.

I shall re-iterate if they don't want us enough to overcome Duchatelet's bullshittery then they can move along too... I only want a genuine owner who 100% wants to invest in the club.

If you truly want the thing, the seller doesn't matter. You stick to your guns and re-iterate your price.

If the owner receives a higher offer from another potential buyer, then it sucks but you EITHER pay more for the thing you want as someone else is willing to pay more than you offered, or you let the thing go to someone who is willing to spend on it.

It's not a question of really, really wanting it. There are no billionaire Charlton fans who really, really want the club.

Any buyer is looking at this from a business perspective and the possible return on their investment. Paying for Roland's mistakes is not a good investment.

Roland isn't really interested in selling anyway, if he was the club would be priced to sell. All he's interested in is getting back the money he was foolish enough to give to Daisy to burn. He's in danger of losing all of the bidders in his ham-fisted attempts to screw more cash out of them.
    He is interested in selling, but he doesn't want to be seen as losing to the protesters.
    Really? I don't think he gives two shits about the protests. Apart from a few minor annoyances in Belgium I bet he's barely noticed. His reputation over here is ruined by the protests but the fact he never comes here means it's had little effect on him personally. He only wants to save face financially and walk away saying it was an interesting experiment but I at least I didn't lose any money. It's ridiculous to think he's doing it out of spite.
    Keep yer 'air on! Why the aggressive tone?

The fact he never comes here certainly doesn't mean the protests have had little effect on him. How can that be the case if, as you yourself said, 'his reputation over here is ruined by the protests'. He doesn't live in a little Belgium business bubble you know.
    I didn't say he was doing it out of spite, but as you say, he wants to save face, and selling the club at a personal loss would hardly achieve that
  • Options
    Didn't Airman say that the Aussie consortium leaks?

If that's the case them getting uppity about what RM has said smacks of "Don't do what I do, do what I tell you"...
  • Options
    Redhenry are your rich mob still in,can you give us any hope??
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!