Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chesterfield vs Charlton post match views

124»

Comments

• Options

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

KHA said:

Throughout the season the media have ‘reported’ the interest of top premier league clubs in Ezri Konsa, but I have struggled to see the potential implied by this interest. I realise he is young and so there’s plenty of scope for development, but at the moment I see a player lacking two essential qualities needed by a central defender: strength and dominance in the air. He is also very static when in possession, making it easy to press him and leading to his often being caught in possession. I’d be surprised if we lose him in the summer.

After talking down Konsa I should talk up Crofts. He doesn’t seem to be much liked by supporters, but the role he has now been given to shield the back four is tailor-made for him. I have seen the last two away matches (Coventry and Chesterfield) and for me he has been the stand-out outfield player.

One more comment on players. Jay Dasilva’s physical height is 5 foot 4, but when he jumps for the ball he grows considerably. At Shrewsbury he out-jumped someone who must have been about a foot taller. This was so surprising that I began to think I had imagined it. However, yesterday at Chesterfield his extraordinary elasticity when leaping was on display again.

Completely disagree re Konsa. I think he's definitely got the class and will develop into a very good player. His best position may be shielding the back four or as a sweeper in a back 3.

Agree about Crofts though. He's been very dependable in that role and hasn't let us down. I'd certainly give him another year even if it's to be as a squad player. We could do a lot worse.
    Crofts isn't the sort of player that will get us out of this league though, well, get us out upwards anyway.

He got caught in possession early on y'day and I don't think he's very comfortable with a football.

If we want league one consolidation finishing 13th - 20th Crofts is excellent at that
    I'm not saying first 11 but as a squad player we could do a lot worse.

People said that about Andy Hughes when we signed him 'not the sort of player who will get us promoted'.

But he played his part and did very well. Likewise Pritchard.
    Mate I think Hughes was a far better player and had a much greater influence on the dressing room. Pritchard really came into his own in our league one winning season, I felt it was the championship that was a step too far for him.

I just can't see it with Crofts. I'm sure he's a good pro and gives his all I just don't think he's worth keeping

However, as we're going absolutely nowhere under RD and the team is likely to be more u23s next season, it might make sense to keep him in that respect
    Certainly wasn't the first season with the 4th most assists in the league. Shame he fell away so badly the next season
    The whole second season was tough for everyone given that was when Cash pulled his cash and we were scrambling around for free transfers like Church a couple of weeks prior to the opening fixture.

Shame really because i liked Pritchard.
    No, the plug was pulled in 2012 and dramatically affected the team building for 12/13.
    What midway through our first season in the champ?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

KHA said:

Throughout the season the media have ‘reported’ the interest of top premier league clubs in Ezri Konsa, but I have struggled to see the potential implied by this interest. I realise he is young and so there’s plenty of scope for development, but at the moment I see a player lacking two essential qualities needed by a central defender: strength and dominance in the air. He is also very static when in possession, making it easy to press him and leading to his often being caught in possession. I’d be surprised if we lose him in the summer.

After talking down Konsa I should talk up Crofts. He doesn’t seem to be much liked by supporters, but the role he has now been given to shield the back four is tailor-made for him. I have seen the last two away matches (Coventry and Chesterfield) and for me he has been the stand-out outfield player.

One more comment on players. Jay Dasilva’s physical height is 5 foot 4, but when he jumps for the ball he grows considerably. At Shrewsbury he out-jumped someone who must have been about a foot taller. This was so surprising that I began to think I had imagined it. However, yesterday at Chesterfield his extraordinary elasticity when leaping was on display again.

Completely disagree re Konsa. I think he's definitely got the class and will develop into a very good player. His best position may be shielding the back four or as a sweeper in a back 3.

Agree about Crofts though. He's been very dependable in that role and hasn't let us down. I'd certainly give him another year even if it's to be as a squad player. We could do a lot worse.
    Crofts isn't the sort of player that will get us out of this league though, well, get us out upwards anyway.

He got caught in possession early on y'day and I don't think he's very comfortable with a football.

If we want league one consolidation finishing 13th - 20th Crofts is excellent at that

People said that about Andy Hughes when we signed him 'not the sort of player who will get us promoted'.

Mate I think Hughes was a far better player and had a much greater influence on the dressing room. Pritchard really came into his own in our league one winning season, I felt it was the championship that was a step too far for him.

I just can't see it with Crofts. I'm sure he's a good pro and gives his all I just don't think he's worth keeping

However, as we're going absolutely nowhere under RD and the team is likely to be more u23s next season, it might make sense to keep him in that respect
    Certainly wasn't the first season with the 4th most assists in the league. Shame he fell away so badly the next season
    The whole second season was tough for everyone given that was when Cash pulled his cash and we were scrambling around for free transfers like Church a couple of weeks prior to the opening fixture.

No, the plug was pulled in 2012 and dramatically affected the team building for 12/13.
    Start of it. There were five transfer targets which Varney was tasked to line up to push on. Then TJ went cold on it. We only got Lawrie Wilson in because he was desperate to come and got payment deferred and, later, David Button because Spurs did likewise.

The staff had to buy food at Makros out of petty cash for the private hire functions durIng that summer because nobody would supply us due to unpaid bills.
  • Options

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

KHA said:

Start of it. There were five transfer targets which Varney was tasked to line up to push on. Then TJ went cold on it. We only got Lawrie Wilson in because he was desperate to come and got payment deferred and, later, David Button because Spurs did likewise.

The staff had to buy food at Makros out of petty cash for the private hire functions durIng that summer because nobody would supply us due to unpaid bills.
    Bloody hell. So after that excellent season winning league one and going up with that momentum the tap just got turned off. Shocking really. We could've really kicked on
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

KHA said:

Bloody hell. So after that excellent season winning league one and going up with that momentum the tap just got turned off. Shocking really. We could've really kicked on
    I remember stories from AB at the time that things were bad, but hadn't realised how bad things were

The petty cash thing makes sense, as I've worked somewhere which had financial difficulties and it was a nightmare getting suppliers to provide us...
  • Options

Its laughable really... Why didnt the owners look at the past two seasons of League One before we got promoted:

Norwich Winners in 2010, the following season went straight to the Premier League
    Southampton Runners-Up in 2011, the following season went straight to the Premier League
    Charlton Winners in 2012, missed out on the Play-Offs by three points.

Just by looking at the seasons Norwich and Southampton had proved that by going up gave teams the momentum to mount a Championship promotion challenge, even Brentford who two years later came second in League One got straight into the Play-Offs!!

The other part of it is how regularly do you then see the teams who do that fall away if they don't make it? Stevenage got up to L1 via the Play-Offs and finished 6th the following season up a league. They didn't make it though, the next season they were 18th and now they're gently soiling themselves at the bottom end of L2. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fleetwood go the same way next season if they don't go up this year. Momentum in a settled squad is such a powerful tool
  • Options

Its laughable really... Why didnt the owners look at the past two seasons of League One before we got promoted:

Norwich Winners in 2010, the following season went straight to the Premier League
    Southampton Runners-Up in 2011, the following season went straight to the Premier League
    Charlton Winners in 2012, missed out on the Play-Offs by three points.

Just by looking at the seasons Norwich and Southampton had proved that by going up gave teams the momentum to mount a Championship promotion challenge, even Brentford who two years later came second in League One got straight into the Play-Offs!!

The other part of it is how regularly do you then see the teams who do that fall away if they don't make it? Stevenage got up to L1 via the Play-Offs and finished 6th the following season up a league. They didn't make it though, the next season they were 18th and now they're gently soiling themselves at the bottom end of L2. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fleetwood go the same way next season if they don't go up this year. Momentum in a settled squad is such a powerful tool
    The danger for all good teams who miss promotion is losing their best players, as they have proven themselves in that division and bigger clubs can offer more money . Even with our problems, being able to offer much higher salaries will attract players from such clubs
  • Options

Appears that Ched Evans (Chesterfield) is about to sign for... Sheffield United

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39697804

I'm surprised he would want to go back there after the way they treated him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

Appears that Ched Evans (Chesterfield) is about to sign for... Sheffield United

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39697804

I'm surprised he would want to go back there after the way they treated him.
    MONEY..................and Championship football, not League 2