Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Options

I see Peterborough have kept up their non league policy signing Ricky Miller and Danny Lloyd who both have had ridiculous seasons last year. I know a fair few signings from non league don't work out but why don't we go for any of these players? Usually fairly cheap ( Lloyd was on a free) and the player is desperate to prove himself. Seems a potential waste of finding a real gem.

Bradley Pritchard | Stuart Fleetwood | Luke Holden | Dorien Smith | Chris Dickson | Scott McGleish | Ruben Bover?
    True but you're going back years and years! Peterborough usually sign prolific strikers every season, now i don't expect that but its a good option IMO.
  • Options

From that list, Liam Lindsay (although he's 21 now).

Well spotted (only got passed the info on from someone in the media in Scotland who incidentally is a Jags ST holder).

Raw talent, come in leaps and bounds since he saw him at youth level. Said 750k would be a snippet and will be International star for Scotland.
    Wahey!

I should apply to be on Roland's scouting team.
  • Options
    Years and Years...? - Pritchard only left us three years ago :)

You've got to go back 10-years when Peterborough struck lucky with a Non-League signing (Mackail-Smith / McClean) and those two were brought in when they were a League Two club i.e. the others Dwight Gayle was playing League Two Football same as Conor Washington with Newport whilst Assombalonga was signed from Watford.

Kyle Vassell and Joe Gormley were their last attempts and both failed badly.
  • Options

I see Peterborough have kept up their non league policy signing Ricky Miller and Danny Lloyd who both have had ridiculous seasons last year. I know a fair few signings from non league don't work out but why don't we go for any of these players? Usually fairly cheap ( Lloyd was on a free) and the player is desperate to prove himself. Seems a potential waste of finding a real gem.

Bradley Pritchard | Stuart Fleetwood | Luke Holden | Dorien Smith | Chris Dickson | Scott McGleish | Ruben Bover?
    Paul Williams, plus that other striker we picked up locally whose name escapes me
    Paul Gorman?
  • Options
    But weren't we in for Ricky Miller but he chose Peterborough ?
  • Options

Colin Powell
  • Options

You've got to go back 10-years when Peterborough struck lucky with a Non-League signing (Mackail-Smith / McClean) and those two were brought in when they were a League Two club i.e. the others Dwight Gayle was playing League Two Football same as Conor Washington with Newport whilst Assombalonga was signed from Watford.

Marcus Maddison? Sure they got him from Gateshead and he's one of their best players.
  • Options
    @MKDinpeace just a quick question were you a Wimbledon fan that followed the club or a MK resident that was glad of a club moving to your town?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Chicksen is our best bloody left back. What a circus.

A good thing if we replace him with better though.
    True, Katrien has a great track record.
  • Options

Holmes set for a new contract. Funny that, we already accepted a bid from Sheffield United according to some...

Doesn't mean they didn't bid. Or I was just lying according to you.
  • Options

Holmes set for a new contract. Funny that, we already accepted a bid from Sheffield United according to some...

Don't bite, most of us really appreciate the rumours and understand that just because someone makes a bid, it does not mean it is going to happen.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

If he was a good few years younger i'd agree but at age 28 i'd be asking why he wasn't signed by anyone 5-6 years ago at least and why only now is he of interest to teams in League One.

Reminds me of the time we signed Paul Benson from Dagenham. I'd rather that £250k got invested towards a more proven player at this level.
  • Options
    Just because he is offered a new contract it doesn't mean 1. He will sign it or 2. We won't sell him still, in fact it would push his price up if he was tied to a longer contract.

1 is more likely than 2. I hope though he signs and stays
  • Options
    Non league footballers eh? Look man, we don't take punts on them.....
  • Options

cfgs said:

@MKDinpeace just a quick question were you a Wimbledon fan that followed the club or a MK resident that was glad of a club moving to your town?

I was 10 when the club moved here in 2004, started going to the occasional game at the old Hockey Stadium and have been a ST holder since 2011. Could have been a sheep and followed Liverpool like the rest of my family (most are from Liverpool), but I didn't have any affiliation to them really. MKD been my local club as far as I can remember. Not many followed the club from Wimbledon to MK - less than 100.

I dislike the fact that MK Dons exist and blame the FA for allowing franchises to come to our game. However people like you are no different to anyone else who supports their local club.
  • Options

We signed Pritch 5 years ago! Scott Mcgliesh was ages ago, Peterborough have singed Maddison, Oztumer, Tomlin etc from non league. They seem to have a pretty high success rate, i'm merely suggesting there are some cracking players in non league and is often a better option than signing a second rate striker on loan.
  • Options

We signed Pritch 5 years ago! Scott Mcgliesh was ages ago, Peterborough have singed Maddison, Oztumer, Tomlin etc from non league. They seem to have a pretty high success rate, i'm merely suggesting there are some cracking players in non league and is often a better option than signing a second rate striker on loan.
    Probably a better option than letting Daisy & Tommy scour FM Europe for overpriced dross on five year contracts.
  • Options

Probably a better option than letting Daisy & Tommy scour FM Europe for overpriced dross on five year contracts.
    Bit of a harsh policy petwebrough have got of burning their players though....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2017

Bit of a harsh policy petwebrough have got of burning their players though....
    I thought a lot of players were keen on a good roasting?
  • Options

Paul Williams, plus that other striker we picked up locally whose name escapes me
    Lookman?
    Michael Smith.
  • Options

Lookman?
    Michael Smith.
    Plus Aribo.
  • Options

Yes, I'm still hanging around like a bad smell, but I thought I'd give some input on David Martin who seems very likely to be joining you.

Very good keeper for this level. Won our Player of the Year in the Championship, and was Liverpool's third choice keeper several years ago (signed from us by Liverpool, then re-signed by us a few years later) so he clearly had something that interested a team that had just won the Champion's League.

He is a very decent shot-stopper, and has made some superb saves this season and in his time with us. His weakness is his distribution from goal kicks - probably through years of working under KR and being forced to play it out from the back. Worth nothing that his clean sheet record in certain seasons with us has been amongst the best in League One.

I wouldn't have minded him staying with us at all. Strange though that he's likely moving to you when he openly criticised KR's management style earlier in the season.

Mate all are welcome here so don't feel you are hanging around like a bad smell and don't worry about big bad @Leuth

I know he was a little prickly when you came on here over Xmas, but as he said he was cranky due to being ill. At the moment he's just cranky over Brexit and the upcoming election, but he reserves it for the appropriate threads :wink:
  • Options

cfgs said:

I was 10 when the club moved here in 2004, started going to the occasional game at the old Hockey Stadium and have been a ST holder since 2011. Could have been a sheep and followed Liverpool like the rest of my family (most are from Liverpool), but I didn't have any affiliation to them really. MKD been my local club as far as I can remember. Not many followed the club from Wimbledon to MK - less than 100.

How many of the 100 remain today ? Do you know if there are any ?
  • Options

In fairness you did say Charlton had accepted a bid from Sheff U for Ricky Holmes.

So something doesn't add up, because Charlton wouldn't accept a bid for a player that they are not selling.

Unless they are selling.
  • Options

The one and only Paul Gorman from Fisher!
  • Options

That's winger from St Albans city who was excellent in FA cup this season gone! Peterborough are good at getting non league players and we haven't done to bad with them either! Non league players go to Posh coz they know the first team is likey !
  • Options

Lookman?
    Michael Smith.
    Paul Gorman is the one I meant, Michael Smith I think we bought from Darlington.