Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Options

SDAddick said:

Any other owner and we could be excited about a sell-on fee. We got around £8mill for lookman by all accounts, added to the fee for Fox and what did we get out of that? Three loans and a couple of average actual signings. Personally would like to see Gomez get a chance at Liverpool once he is properly fit, maybe a loan move next year. From our point of view only RD's bank balance benefits

Jake Forster-Caskey is a very, very good player on his day. Played for England at youth level from U-17 to U-21. Struggled at time with us, admittedly, though when he came back from injury he had what, two or three goals in the run-in. Will end up being a very good signing at this level.
    Hope you're right, because in the majority of his performances that I saw, he was ineffective and anonymous. That said, the team as a whole were so bad that it's possibly unfair to single him out.
    To be fair, he improved as the team improved in the last few games of the season, admittedly against fairly lowly sides.
  • Options
    Shame we 'missed out' on Dawson. Were we ever in the hunt?
    This thread is torture.
  • Options

Would have loved to get Reeves. He is the right age and scored 10 goals last season. And a free transfer.

Of course free transfers will then ask for more money and a nice signing on fee out of the transfer fee you've saved...
  • Options
    There is no hard and fast rule of how to sign players. Realistically, you're looking mainly for players who've proven themselves in the league but also young players from one, maybe two leagues below who have clear scope to improve, players on the way down who have plenty of experience and Premier League loanees who can provide a bit of flair. Would you want all your signings to come from each group? No. That's the key area where RD/KM failed, and they're not going to fix it. (Would love to be proved wrong).
  • Options
    It looks like everything is going to drag on and on.
    There will be a plethora of reasons and excuses explained.
    We are unlikely to hit the ground running.
    The so called lessons learned will not apply.
    We will get the same old same old.
    Hope I am wrong.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Redhenry said:

Reeves has got offers from Northern Champ Clubs and us. We may still get him as he wants to stay South. Fingers crossed!

if he joins us it's only for the money. I'd be disappointed if he signed for us instead of a Championship club as it shows he has no ambition to play at the highest level possible for him.
    Sorry Large, but that is a ridiculous comment.

You don't want us to sign any players if they get offers from Championship clubs or by your logic Premier clubs as well ?

I think the bitterness is engulfing you and you're losing all sense of perspective.
    maybe but my main point is that most footballers are only motivated by money. Players going to China, players in their prime, are not going to win trophies, to be the best they can be. If you offered Costa 700k a week to play for Welling he'd go. If someone like Reeves was offered 6k pw to play for say Reading with real PL ambitions but chose to sign for us with no real ambition at all in League One for 8k pw would that not disappoint you? It would me. And that's before you take into account all the other crap going on at our Club.
    I think it's very difficult for footballers to please everyone. First off I want to make clear that I think money has ruined football.

What I find odd though is that being lucky enough to be a top professional footballer is a talent. A gift from the birthing gods. One you have to work damned hard at but nonetheless a talent. What it isn't is a vocation.

We wouldn't batt an eyelid if a brickie upped sticks a moved off whenever he could to earn more money. Or for that matter most other people in the world. Why shouldn't or wouldn't they. Many have come from very humble beginnings where the thought of a few more dollars might have quite an appeal.

Why do we give them so much stick when we don't apply the same standard to the brickie.
  • Options

Would have loved to get Reeves. He is the right age and scored 10 goals last season. And a free transfer.

He hasn't chosen a club yet!
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Reeves has got offers from Northern Champ Clubs and us. We may still get him as he wants to stay South. Fingers crossed!

if he joins us it's only for the money. I'd be disappointed if he signed for us instead of a Championship club as it shows he has no ambition to play at the highest level possible for him.
    Sorry Large, but that is a ridiculous comment.

You don't want us to sign any players if they get offers from Championship clubs or by your logic Premier clubs as well ?

I think the bitterness is engulfing you and you're losing all sense of perspective.
    maybe but my main point is that most footballers are only motivated by money. Players going to China, players in their prime, are not going to win trophies, to be the best they can be. If you offered Costa 700k a week to play for Welling he'd go. If someone like Reeves was offered 6k pw to play for say Reading with real PL ambitions but chose to sign for us with no real ambition at all in League One for 8k pw would that not disappoint you? It would me. And that's before you take into account all the other crap going on at our Club.
    Blimey I bet you were fun company when Chris Powell assembled our League One winning team beating off teams from The Championship to sign a lot of his players ;)
    But there is a difference between then and now. Then we were serious about assembling a team to try and get promotion and players wanted to join us because we were showing that ambition and they bought into it. Now, the Club is a shambles and if you read Airman Browns excellent article about the current contracts we find ourselves lumbered with you will see that because of numerous repeated past mistakes that have not been learnt from the chances of us assembling a team to get promotion this coming season is very slim. I could see why a player like Reeves might join when CP assembled his squad back then as Stevens, Hollands etc etc did but now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Not reliable by any stretch but its a rumours thread, we have been linked with Jordan Turnbull and Jack Grimmer.

Turnbull is a 22 year old left footed CB, ex Southampton, just relegated with Coventry.

Grimmer is a 23 year old CB who plays for Fulham, but only played a handful of games and has spent the majority of the last few years on loan at Shrewsbury.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Blucher said:

The latest article suggests that the Reeves deal has gone cold. It reads like a prelude to the player signing for someone else.

It hasn't, he was always going to get other offers.
    Of course he was always going to get other offers - he's a good player and available on a Bosman.

The point I was making - or seeking to make - is that KR's comments to the press suggest to me that a deal with us is less likely. I hope I am wrong but, if negotiations were proceeding towards a successful conclusion, I doubt that KR would be castigating Reeves' agent for his statements to the press.
  • Options

There is no hard and fast rule of how to sign players. Realistically, you're looking mainly for players who've proven themselves in the league but also young players from one, maybe two leagues below who have clear scope to improve, players on the way down who have plenty of experience and Premier League loanees who can provide a bit of flair. Would you want all your signings to come from each group? No. That's the key area where RD/KM failed, and they're not going to fix it. (Would love to be proved wrong).

And a good manager whom can motivate and adapt his team to get the best out of the resources at his disposal. :-(
  • Options

Not reliable by any stretch but its a rumours thread, we have been linked with Jordan Turnbull and Jack Grimmer.

Turnbull is a 22 year old left footed CB, ex Southampton, just relegated with Coventry.

Grimmer is a 23 year old CB who plays for Fulham, but only played a handful of games and has spent the majority of the last few years on loan at Shrewsbury.

That's it Roland. Really push the boat out.

• Options
    Tony Watt‏ @Tony_Watt7 1m1 minute ago
    More
    Watched my boys @C_Ceballos92 and @IgorVetokele grab some goals
  • Options

Tony Watt‏ @Tony_Watt7 1m1 minute ago
    More
    Watched my boys @C_Ceballos92 and @IgorVetokele grab some goals

His movie of the week!
    Tony Watt‏ @Tony_Watt7 21m21 minutes ago
    More
    Great 3 days in Belgium! Nice to get invited back to Lierse
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

As a squad player we could do worse, but we should do better

Yeah hopefully we are aiming at better.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

I wouldn't be too disappointed with signing him permanently, but as a squad player to add depth. Did ok of the bench IMO
  • Options

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15291031.Former_Charlton_flop_released_by_Leeds/

Botaka released by Leeds.

I thought "flop" was a bit harsh. Not a raging success either mind.

Agreed 29 appearances, albeit mainly from the bench is far better than some of our true flops in the RD era!
  • Options

Richard Cawley‏ @RichCawleySLP 2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Roger Johnson has been released by Charlton. That won't go down well with the fans.

How could they do this with KR on holiday, wait until he is out of the way and release one of his favourite players, not on! :wink:
  • Options
    At last an upside to being a selling club.

Let's hope Roger enjoys his retirement in his castle in Spain.paid for by Ms Nigtmeire, the worse negotiator in the history of football.
  • Options
    Gutted to see Rojo leave.
    A true Charlton legend
  • Options

sam3110 said:

I wouldn't be too disappointed with signing him permanently, but as a squad player to add depth. Did ok of the bench IMO
    Botaka still looks like a bloke who won a competition to play for 20 mins from the bench, no thanks from me