Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wonders of the world

What is your favourite place in the world and why?

I will be visiting the colosseum today and to my suprise it is in fact one of the "7 wonders of the world".

The Taj Mahal is not within the list. I thought that was one of them. Guessed the others correctly.

You can name your favourite place. It does not necessarily have to be outside of the UK or anywhere even exotic but It is to be assumed that an answer like that maybe a sarcastic one.

Comments

• Options
    The Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall.
    You probably have to love gardens though.
  • Options
    It's just down the road from The Eden Project but it's sooo much better
  • Options
    I'm off to Iceland on a Disney cruise later this month. We're visiting the Blue Lagoon which was on a list of 10 must see places I saw. I don't know if it counts as a wonder, but I have heard it is even more blue than the famous Blue Stone of Galveston.
  • Options

I'm off to Iceland on a Disney cruise later this month. We're visiting the Blue Lagoon which was on a list of 10 must see places I saw. I don't know if it counts as a wonder, but I have heard it is even more blue than the famous Blue Stone of Galveston.

That will be good!

Iceland is a very desirable holiday destination I would like to go at some point.
  • Options

Enjoy. Plus love a Blackadder reference
  • Options

The Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall.
    You probably have to love gardens though.

great place.

also in cornwall - St just in Roseland church and gardens.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Iceland is stunning. I would say the waterfalls, such as Gullfoss, trump the blue lagoon. Beautiful country, enjoy!

• Options
    edited June 2017
    The 12 Apostles along the Great Ocean road.
  • Options
    So many. Ranges from Charing Cross Station to the road from Fort William to Mallaig.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

So many. Ranges from Charing Cross Station to the road from Fort William to Mallaig.

The train line surely? Call yourself a Charlton fan?
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

What is your favourite place in the world and why?

I will be visiting the colosseum today and to my suprise it is in fact one of the "7 wonders of the world".

The Taj Mahal is not within the list. I thought that was one of them. Guessed the others correctly.

You can name your favourite place. It does not necessarily have to be outside of the UK or anywhere even exotic but It is to be assumed that an answer like that maybe a sarcastic one.

But the Colosseum is not one of the Seven Wonders of the World!

For what it is worth Machu Picchu is wonderful, especially after a hike over the Andes. I have always wanted to travel the silk road in general and go to Samarakand in particular.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Not quite sure whether there are now the 12 standing.

Mine is Machu Picchu.

• Options
    The Valley
  • Options
    Great Barrier Reef

Machu Picchu

Dartmoor
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

That will be good!

Iceland is a very desirable holiday destination I would like to go at some point.
    Especially if you're into photography. I haven't been there (yet) but the photos I've seen are all spectacular.
  • Options

seth plum said:

The train line surely? Call yourself a Charlton fan?
    Point of order Mr Speaker.
    You can see the beautiful train from the road.
    And you drive like a mile down the road and say to yourself 'I've got to stop now this is so heartbreakingly beautiful', then you drive on another mile or two and stop again saying to yourself 'why did I stop back there, this is more heartbreakingly beautiful?' Rinse and repeat about twenty times along the journey.
    On the train you can't ask the driver to stop the thing over and over again.
    Anyway I cited Charing Cross Station, isn't that good enough? :blush:

• Options
    My favourite place on earth is Prestbury Park in the shadow of Cleeve Hill in the middle of March!

That apart, The Colosseum is immense, and gazing up at Mount Kilimanjaro, under African skies is pretty special also.
  • Options
    Ranomafana National Park, Madagascar.
  • Options
    Anyone ever visited Lydford Gorge, especially on a beautiful morning like this?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I have never visited there, but a friend once went on about a place called crater lake in the USA.
    Perhaps the rule for this thread should distinguish natural wonders from those that have been shaped by mankind.
  • Options
    The Galapagos Islands

As a zoologist I can't think of many places I would rather go to see the wonders of the animal kindgom. I have been to Borneo (highly recommend) and many other places, but here, Madagascar and Ascension Island have to be top of my list.
  • Options

Iceland is stunning. I would say the waterfalls, such as Gullfoss, trump the blue lagoon. Beautiful country, enjoy!

That truly takes the breath away. Awe inspiring.
  • Options
    The Pillars of Hercules.

The pub, not the promontories... :wink:
  • Options
    Grand Canyon for me.
  • Options
    Milford Sound in New Zealand... Just stunning, even the Milford Road from Te Anau is just as good!!

• Options
    Solidgone said:

1StevieG said:

Not quite sure whether there are now the 12 standing.

Mine is Machu Picchu.

Only 9 standing now. I would recommend a road trip down the Great Ocean road as it is stunning scenery.