Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wonders of the world

Comments

• Options
    Mae Hong Sorn in north west Thailand is stunning. It's quite dangerous being the driver as you see some amazing views that are not good for concentration
  • Options
    I've been to Madagascar... There's some amazing wildlife but the deforestation and poverty and corruption are heartbreaking. Still worth a trip mind. Getting up before to daybreak to hear the Indris sing is jaw dropping
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I'm off to Iceland on a Disney cruise later this month. We're visiting the Blue Lagoon which was on a list of 10 must see places I saw. I don't know if it counts as a wonder, but I have heard it is even more blue than the famous Blue Stone of Galveston.

Iceland is stunning. I would say the waterfalls, such as Gullfoss, trump the blue lagoon. Beautiful country, enjoy!

We're doing that the second day. Very happy too after seeing the photo, I'd be gutted to miss it. Something called the Golden Circle tour.
    Did Iceland in October, so many stunning places to visit, you will enjoy the Golden circle tour.

You must go to the blue lagoon as well. We were lucky enough to see the northern lights (twice) and that was unbelievable. If you get chance do the hop on/ off bus tour of the capital some interesting places you might not notice otherwise.

Be warned of whale watching boat tour, it was very rough when we went !!

Overall a fantastic holiday but expensive out there.
  • Options
    Guatemala - volcanoes, lakes and Mayan temples. Incredible country.
  • Options

The Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall.
    You probably have to love gardens though.

We went to see them last year - couldn't find them.

I'd vote for Angkor Wat in the man made category and Angel Falls in the nature category.
  • Options
    Of those seen my opinion in order is:

Grand Canyon
    Taj Mahal
    Niagara Falls

Not seen it mentioned but Lake Bled in Slovenia is idealic. Hoping to do the Great Wall , Pyramids and Michu P in the near future.

• Options

Of those seen my opinion in order is:

Grand Canyon
    Taj Mahal
    Niagara Falls

Not seen it mentioned but Lake Bled in Slovenia is idealic. Hoping to do the Great Wall , Pyramids and Michu P in the near future.

Bled is probably the nicest place I've been to, lovely people too.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Solidgone said:

1StevieG said:

The 12 Apostles along the Great Ocean road.

Not quite sure whether there are now the 12 standing.

Mine is Machu Picchu.

Only 9 standing now. I would recommend a road trip down the Great Ocean road as it is stunning scenery.
    Only eight. Rumour has it they were originally named by Diane Abbott.....

For me, in no particular order, it's Praslin Island in the Seychelles, (or possibly La Digue but I haven't been there!); Taj Mahal; Crater Lake, Oregon; Maui; Dal Lake Kashmir (I like lakes); Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa in Sri Lanka; Zion and Bryce Canyon NPs which for some reason I can't quite understand I prefer to the Grand Canyon; Gila Cliff Dwellings in New Mexico; The Olgas which for some reason I can't quite understand I prefer to Uluru; Finchingfield in Essex, probably the archetypal English village and the star of countless jigsaw puzzles; and, of course, Dymchurch.
  • Options
    Being a travel "nut" and having been to 86 countries/islands, I find it difficult to list a single favourite place. Some of the best experiences have been:

Maldives (5 times) - great natural beauty and aquatic experiences
    Yellowstone Park was stunning, seeing bison and wolves in their natural environment
    Seychelles
    Madagascar
    Cape Town (shark cage experience was fun)
    Black Hills in South Dakota
    Bahamas
    Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe side)
    Great Barrier Reef
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Geological wonders: Grand Canyon and the Pitons of St Lucia.

Zoological wonders: Petaloudes Valley, Rhodes for the thousands of Tiger Moths. Mojave Desert for black widows.

Man-made wonders: Leaning Tower of Pisa - In the eighties my friend and I went up there pissed as newts, dangled our legs over the side and sniffed poppers. They won't let you do that anymore; it's health & safety gone mad! Fernsehturm, Berlin - as a child I was lucky enough to go on a school trip to East Germany. One of the highlights was being taken up the tv tower at night time in a thunderstorm. Unforgettable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2017
    5 Rathas at Mahabalipuram and Krishnas butterball.
  • Options
    And a UK based one:

Geological wonders: The iconic White Cliffs, Snowdonia, Wookey Hole. Most of all though, I like flying over Britain and appreciating what a green and pleasant land it is.

Zoological wonders: Colchester Zoo, Southend Sea Life Centre and my personal collection of Sea Monkeys.

Man-made wonders: Being able to go inside the dome of St Pauls Cathedral. The spiral stairs inside The Monument.

• Options
    A vote from me for Iceland. Stunning country.
    http://chicagoaddick.blogspot.com/2006/04/reykjavik.html
  • Options

Mae Hong Sorn in north west Thailand is stunning. It's quite dangerous being the driver as you see some amazing views that are not good for concentration

Surely you mean Soi Cowboy?

Of the Central American temples everyone mentions Chichen Itza but I really loved Tikal, due to its jungle setting, and Guatemala as a whole has some beautiful scenery.

My favourite natural spots I've visited are Victoria Falls and The Namib Desert.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Being a travel "nut" and having been to 86 countries/islands, I find it difficult to list a single favourite place. Some of the best experiences have been:

Yellowstone Park was stunning, seeing bison and wolves in their natural environment
    Seychelles
    Madagascar
    Bahamas
    Great Barrier Reef

Black Hills a good call! (Will the Crazy Horse memorial EVER be finished?) Also in South Dakota, The Badlands NP is great too. Can I add The Devil's Tower in Wyoming? (Of Close Encounters fame.)
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I've been to Madagascar... There's some amazing wildlife but the deforestation and poverty and corruption are heartbreaking. Still worth a trip mind. Getting up before to daybreak to hear the Indris sing is jaw dropping

Flew right over Madagascar from South Africa to Singapore...looked like a desert, devastating effects of deforestation.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

PeterGage said:

Seychelles
    Madagascar
    Bahamas
    Great Barrier Reef

Black Hills a good call! (Will the Crazy Horse memorial EVER be finished?) Also in South Dakota, The Badlands NP is great too. Can I add The Devil's Tower in Wyoming? (Of Close Encounters fame.)
    I was at the Crazy Horse memorial only last August and was told that the only timescale is to finish the outstretched arm in the next 20 years. Also went to both the badlands (part of which is in the Pine Ridge Indian reservation - Oglala Sioux) and also to Devils Tower, which as you say is in Wyoming. Great part of USA.
  • Options
    Seen the colosseum.

I love the history behind it.

Roman history is quite the story. Didn't realize how intriguing it was.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Angkor Wat, in Cambodia, amazing place, photo's will never do it justice, arriving at the site when I visited left me stunned.
  • Options
    PeteF said:

Angkor Wat, in Cambodia, amazing place, photo's will never do it justice, arriving at the site when I visited left me stunned.

I preferred Angkor Thom.....The roots make it more spectacular.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:

PeteF said:

I preferred Angkor Thom.....The roots make it more spectacular.
    Fabulous place though.... those roots are incredible.
  • Options
    Boom said:

PeterGage said:

having been to 86 countries/islands,

You sure? I don't think you've mentioned this before!
    Canvey,Sheppey, Wight, Man ....
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Boom said:

PeterGage said:

Canvey,Sheppey, Wight, Man ....
    England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark .....
  • Options
    Boom said:

PeterGage said:

Surely the whole idea of this particular thread is to share travel experiences, which I attempted to do by mentioning my favourite places and reasons for that favouritism. On a separate thread, I sought advice from others about Miami, to where I am travelling in September. The advice I received was extremely useful in determining what I do, and where I go, when I arrive there.

• Options
    We are only pulling your leg @PeterGage

Enjoy hearing your travels.
  • Options
    Who needs,trip adviser when you've got Charlton life!
  • Options

The Galapagos Islands

As a zoologist I can't think of many places I would rather go to see the wonders of the animal kindgom. I have been to Borneo (highly recommend) and many other places, but here, Madagascar and Ascension Island have to be top of my list.

@moutuakilla we visited The Galapagos for our honeymoon 18 months ago. It was incredible, I still can't believe how much we saw and it surpassed my already high expectations!
  • Options
    Many good calls on here. The parks and canyons in USA are wonderful. Special mention to Antelope slot canyon in Utah and watching a storm pass over Monument Valley. Uluru (Ayres Rock) in Australia is worth a mention. Milford Sound NZ is a fantastic experience too. Trollfijord Norway is stunning. Alaska for me next.

Man made wonders: the Gardens by the Bay in Singapore are amazing day and night.

My greatest natural wonder: a northern lights corona off Norway coast two years ago. Defies description.