Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wonders of the world

124»

Comments

• Options
    This place is full of budding Judith Chalmers and Cliff Michemore impersonators!!

Some have been unbelievably lucky to have seen what they have and personally there have been quite a few additions to my bucket list whilst reading this thread. Thank you.
  • Options
    Would love to go Alaska and Iceland. Very pricy but most likely worth it.

• Options
    Been to the blue mountains in Australia, drove the great ocean, snorkelled the great barrier reef and went to Millaa Millaa waterfalls in Queensland (Where Peter Andre filmed his music video mysterious girl and the waterfall from the herbal essences advert).

Been to the pyramids in Giza

Also been to Langkawi a small island belonging to Malaysia

Recently visited Cornwall went to Mousehole which is beautiful little harbour village
  • Options
    I'm not sure what it is, national bias, but it's strange how many have mentioned Cornwall including myself. something about that county seems to resonate to so many Englishmen.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I'm not sure what it is, national bias, but it's strange how many have mentioned Cornwall including myself. something about that county seems to resonate to so many Englishmen.

I would agree with that.

But as an Englishman with a strong draw back to my distant roots, the Highlands of Scotland take some beating also.
  • Options
    My wife is atravel agent (so am I now) so we've done a lot of travelling by Spanish standards - Brits are just another league. But there's been a few posts here to remind me that our island home is a small marvel. So in no psrticular order
    Malvern hills
    Langdale pike (lake district)
    Wast water (lake district)
    Sargent Mann (lake district)
    Poole Harbour and Brownsea Island
    Lyme Regis
    Portland Bill and Chesil Bank
    Eynesford on a summer evening
    Robin hoods bay
    Lullworth cove
    Corfe and its castle

Maybe not the great barrier reef or Grand Canyon, but they are all wonderfull.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Glencoe
    Loch Ness
    The Cullin Ridge on Skye
    Giant's Causeway
    The Lake District
    The Dales
    The Pembrokeshire Coast
    The harbours of Cornwall
    The Jurassic Coast
    The White Cliffs of Dover
    The Cliffs of Moher

In short, all the wonders of our green and pleasant islands. We have the most diverse geology and geography anywhere in the world - fact.

More diverse than USA?! I know you're biased, but I'm not sure Snowdonia and Cheddar Gorge compete with the Rockies and the Grand Canyon...
    Sam - which part of the USA the size of Britain has our geological and geographic diversity? Not the Grand Canyon or the Rockies. ...
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Glencoe
    Loch Ness
    The Cullin Ridge on Skye
    Giant's Causeway
    The Lake District
    The Dales
    The Pembrokeshire Coast
    The harbours of Cornwall
    The Jurassic Coast
    The Cliffs of Moher

In short, all the wonders of our green and pleasant islands. We have the most diverse geology and geography anywhere in the world - fact.

More diverse than USA?! I know you're biased, but I'm not sure Snowdonia and Cheddar Gorge compete with the Rockies and the Grand Canyon...
    Sam - which part of the USA the size of Britain has our geological and geographic diversity? Not the Grand Canyon or the Rockies. ...
    Not the USA, but New Zealand is similar sized and has more diversity imho. Alpine regions (much higher than anything in the UK), volcanic regions, sub-tropical beaches, weather cold enough for penguins, desert, rain forest, wine growing regions, fjords and much more.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Glencoe
    Loch Ness
    The Cullin Ridge on Skye
    Giant's Causeway
    The Lake District
    The Dales
    The Pembrokeshire Coast
    The harbours of Cornwall
    The Jurassic Coast
    The Cliffs of Moher

Not the USA, but New Zealand is similar sized and has more diversity imho. Alpine regions (much higher than anything in the UK), volcanic regions, sub-tropical beaches, weather cold enough for penguins, desert, rain forest, wine growing regions, fjords and much more.
    Sounds great Exiled (not sure where the desert is though)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2017

sam3110 said:

Glencoe
    Loch Ness
    The Cullin Ridge on Skye
    Giant's Causeway
    The Lake District
    The Dales
    The Pembrokeshire Coast
    The harbours of Cornwall
    The Jurassic Coast
    The Cliffs of Moher

Well, I give you New York State. It has a very diverse geography. (Setting aside the great city itself), in the south there's Long Island, the fantastic white sand beaches at the Hamptons, the Hudson River and the Catskill Mountains, As you move Upstate, you get to bump into the Appalachian Mountains, and the Adirondack Mountains, There's the Thousand Islands archipelago, and the Saint Lawrence Seaway in the Northeast of the state. The Mohawk River Valley, and the Great Lakes of Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. Of course, between the two lakes lies Niagara Falls. There are almost countless smaller lakes. Lake Placid, has hosted the winter Olympics and is an area of spectacular scenery. Whiteface Mountain is nearby and is only the fifth highest mountain in NY. It's fair to say, anyone who goes to New York and swerves the rest of the state is missing a lot. I'd say NY State gives the UK a run for its money and at 55k sq miles it's only a little over half the size.

There's even a small village called Paul Smiths which I can only assume is named after me!

There are truly fantastic sights (sites? I never know which to use!) in the States.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Geological wonders: Grand Canyon and the Pitons of St Lucia.

Zoological wonders: Petaloudes Valley, Rhodes for the thousands of Tiger Moths. Mojave Desert for black widows.

Man-made wonders: Leaning Tower of Pisa - In the eighties my friend and I went up there pissed as newts, dangled our legs over the side and sniffed poppers. They won't let you do that anymore; it's health & safety gone mad! Fernsehturm, Berlin - as a child I was lucky enough to go on a school trip to East Germany. One of the highlights was being taken up the tv tower at night time in a thunderstorm. Unforgettable.

These will alway stay with me from my honeymoon:

Geological Wonder: Flying past the snow covered peak of mount Kilimanjaro in a 12 seater unpressurised plane.

Zoological wonders: Not exactly a zoo but visiting the Masai Mara game reserve during the migration of the wildebeest. Our guide pointed a what looked like cloud shadows on the hillside. These shadows where herds of wildebeests moving slowly on their way. Millions of beests. The guide carefully drove up to a line of beasts making their way across the plane and stopped our truck in the middle of their line. All we could see to the left were wildebeest making their way towards us, turning to the right they were disappearing off to the horizon. Breathtaking.

Man-made wonder: On another trip we went to Egypt. The Temple of Karnak is absolutely amazing. Such great technology to build such buildings so long ago.
  • Options
    Pont du Gard and Ardeche Gorge in France.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Glencoe
    Loch Ness
    The Cullin Ridge on Skye
    Giant's Causeway
    The Lake District
    The Dales
    The Pembrokeshire Coast
    The harbours of Cornwall
    The Jurassic Coast
    The Cliffs of Moher

Sounds great Exiled (not sure where the desert is though)
    Okay, maybe not in the absolute truest sense of the word, but;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangipo_Desert