Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wonders of the world

Comments

• Options

Glencoe
    Loch Ness
    The Cullin Ridge on Skye
    Giant's Causeway
    The Lake District
    The Dales
    The Pembrokeshire Coast
    The harbours of Cornwall
    The Jurassic Coast
    The White Cliffs of Dover
    The Cliffs of Moher

In short, all the wonders of our green and pleasant islands. We have the most diverse geology and geography anywhere in the world - fact.

More diverse than USA?! I know you're biased, but I'm not sure Snowdonia and Cheddar Gorge compete with the Rockies and the Grand Canyon...
  • Options

I'm off to Iceland on a Disney cruise later this month. We're visiting the Blue Lagoon which was on a list of 10 must see places I saw. I don't know if it counts as a wonder, but I have heard it is even more blue than the famous Blue Stone of Galveston.

Iceland is stunning. I would say the waterfalls, such as Gullfoss, trump the blue lagoon. Beautiful country, enjoy!

We're doing that the second day. Very happy too after seeing the photo, I'd be gutted to miss it. Something called the Golden Circle tour.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    sam3110 said:

Glencoe
    Loch Ness
    The Cullin Ridge on Skye
    Giant's Causeway
    The Lake District
    The Dales
    The Pembrokeshire Coast
    The harbours of Cornwall
    The Jurassic Coast
    The White Cliffs of Dover
    The Cliffs of Moher

In short, all the wonders of our green and pleasant islands. We have the most diverse geology and geography anywhere in the world - fact.

More diverse than USA?! I know you're biased, but I'm not sure Snowdonia and Cheddar Gorge compete with the Rockies and the Grand Canyon...
    You've got to consider the size of the British Isles to the United States though... the latter has everything that we've got but break it down per State and its not so much. New Zealand is probably the most diverse with Britain close behind, few places you can go where you have Mountain ranges (Southern Alps just being one of them) | Winefields (Marlborough) | Volcanos (Akaroa / Auckland) | Plains (Canterburys) | Beaches (Nelson / Bay of Islands) and so forth.

Thats a landscape that pretty much changes dramatically every 50 / 100 miles
  • Options
    Amazon jungle, pantanal wetland and iguazu falls very impressive
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    UK = Norwick beach for family reasons and London South Bank as a place that always reminds me what a great City I live in.

Europe = Tuscany. Italy is just a superb country and this is my most favourite part.

Worldwide = New Zealand South Island for the scenary and friendly people and Ndutu National Park, Tanzania for the day I spent looking at a Chetah family with 5/6 small Cubs which will always stay with me.
  • Options
    Cairngorms, 3 visits a year are not enough
  • Options

Dave2l said:

What is your favourite place in the world and why?

I will be visiting the colosseum today and to my suprise it is in fact one of the "7 wonders of the world".

The Taj Mahal is not within the list. I thought that was one of them. Guessed the others correctly.

You can name your favourite place. It does not necessarily have to be outside of the UK or anywhere even exotic but It is to be assumed that an answer like that maybe a sarcastic one.

But the Colosseum is not one of the Seven Wonders of the World!

For what it is worth Machu Picchu is wonderful, especially after a hike over the Andes. I have always wanted to travel the silk road in general and go to Samarakand in particular.
    I didn't think it was.

Looked quite a few times and at different sources. It's in there.

Machu pichu.

Was there a few weeks ago. Pretty good but very busy.

My advice for anyone that goes in the future. Make sure you go at 4-5am!!
  • Options

I'm off to Iceland on a Disney cruise later this month. We're visiting the Blue Lagoon which was on a list of 10 must see places I saw. I don't know if it counts as a wonder, but I have heard it is even more blue than the famous Blue Stone of Galveston.

Iceland is stunning. I would say the waterfalls, such as Gullfoss, trump the blue lagoon. Beautiful country, enjoy!

We're doing that the second day. Very happy too after seeing the photo, I'd be gutted to miss it. Something called the Golden Circle tour.
    Golden Circle is good but definitely do the south coast tour imo
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Dave2l said:

I will be visiting the colosseum today and to my suprise it is in fact one of the "7 wonders of the world".

The Taj Mahal is not within the list. I thought that was one of them. Guessed the others correctly.

You can name your favourite place. It does not necessarily have to be outside of the UK or anywhere even exotic but It is to be assumed that an answer like that maybe a sarcastic one.

If you mean the Colosseum in Rome, that's not one of the seven wonders of the world. The only one still in existence is the great pyramid at Giza. The others were the colossus of Rhodes, the hanging gardens of Babylon, the lighthouse at Alexandria, the statue of Zeus at Olympia, the temple of Artemis and the mausoleum at Halicarnassus. I suspect your confusing the Colosseum with the colossus.

As to my favourite place that's really difficult. I like so many of the places I've been to for so many different reasons, but I'd say the most amazing thing I've seen is the pyramids and the great sphinx at Giza.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kerry. Most beautiful place I've been to.
  • Options
    Candidates among the places I've been

Glacier Bay, Alaska
    Grand Canal, Venice
    Great Wall of China
    Grand Canyon, USA
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Candidates among the places I've been

Glacier Bay, Alaska
    Grand Canal, Venice
    Great Wall of China
    Grand Canyon, USA

The Great Wall is an awesome man made 'wonder'. As is the astonishing Terracotta Army which I understand has only been very partially excavated.
  • Options

Dave2l said:

If you mean the Colosseum in Rome, that's not one of the seven wonders of the world. The only one still in existence is the great pyramid at Giza. The others were the colossus of Rhodes, the hanging gardens of Babylon, the lighthouse at Alexandria, the statue of Zeus at Olympia, the temple of Artemis and the mausoleum at Halicarnassus. I suspect your confusing the Colosseum with the colossus.

As to my favourite place that's really difficult. I like so many of the places I've been too for so many different reasons, but I'd say the most amazing thing I've seen is the pyramids and the great sphinx at Giza.
    They did a 'modern' version recently:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New7Wonders_of_the_World
  • Options

Dave2l said:

As to my favourite place that's really difficult. I like so many of the places I've been too for so many different reasons, but I'd say the most amazing thing I've seen is the pyramids and the great sphinx at Giza.

But the OP says the Taj Mahal isn't in the list so I'd guess he's not referring to the new seven.
  • Options

Dave2l said:

But the OP says the Taj Mahal isn't in the list so I'd guess he's not referring to the new seven.
    True.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Dave2l said:

But the Colosseum is not one of the Seven Wonders of the World!

For what it is worth Machu Picchu is wonderful, especially after a hike over the Andes. I have always wanted to travel the silk road in general and go to Samarakand in particular.
    I didn't think it was.

Looked quite a few times and at different sources. It's in there.

Machu pichu.

Was there a few weeks ago. Pretty good but very busy.

My advice for anyone that goes in the future. Make sure you go at 4-5am!!
    Which sources show the Colosseum in the seven wonders? Even the ever-unreliable Wikipedia has the seven correct ones, which doesn't include the Colosseum.
  • Options

Milford Sound in New Zealand... Just stunning, even the Milford Road from Te Anau is just as good!!

Sadly, the day I went to Milford Sound the weather was horrible - it was so windy that several of the mini-waterfalls running down the side of the Sound were actually going upwards. But yeah, New Zealand is fantastic, so much beautiful and unusual scenery.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Milford Sound in New Zealand... Just stunning, even the Milford Road from Te Anau is just as good!!

Sadly, the day I went to Milford Sound the weather was horrible - it was so windy that several of the mini-waterfalls running down the side of the Sound were actually going upwards. But yeah, New Zealand is fantastic, so much beautiful and unusual scenery.
    We had a rain storm on our drive down to Milford Sound. There were hundreds of small silver rivers and waterfalls running off the surrounding hills. Was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. There is something unusual and beautiful almost every direction you look in New Zealand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed that Lydford Gorge is a fantastic place as well.
    Barmouth beach in North Wales was stunning as I recall.
    The coast of Cornwall just about every inch
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Agreed that Lydford Gorge is a fantastic place as well.
    Barmouth beach in North Wales was stunning as I recall.
    The coast of Cornwall just about every inch

Love Barmouth. The Town is a bit of a dive (although has a nice Chippy), but if you park the other side of the estuary you can walk accross the railway bridge which is really lovely on a warm summer evening.

• Options
    Wall of Tears - Maui. Make sure you get a small helicopter, the bigger ones can't get in as far.
  • Options

Looking at some of the most amazing photos on this thread just goes to show how wonderful this planet is.
    I wish I was rich enough to visit them all.

Seriously - it's why I don't understand people who win the lottery then don't give up work - explore the world!
  • Options

Looking at some of the most amazing photos on this thread just goes to show how wonderful this planet is.
    I wish I was rich enough to visit them all.

Seriously - it's why I don't understand people who win the lottery then don't give up work - explore the world!
    Ms AA is the only person I know who's got more out of the lottery than they put itn. She had a dream she'd won so she bought a ticket and she did win. Sadly, only a tenner, but she's still £9 up.
  • Options

The Galapagos Islands

As a zoologist I can't think of many places I would rather go to see the wonders of the animal kindgom. I have been to Borneo (highly recommend) and many other places, but here, Madagascar and Ascension Island have to be top of my list.

Did a week on Ascension back in 2012 when I was doing 6 months in the Falklands (top place as well, just for the history and battle sites alone. Oh, and the penguins!). Ascension was excellent. Lucky enough to do a conservation trip and see the turtles laying and burying their eggs. Incredible.

Love the vastness of Canada also, with Mt Robson and the Berg Lake Trail a particular favourite. And Oman, a stunning country.
  • Options

Wow!!
  • Options

Wow!!
    It is amazing, but even more so is that it was named because it reminded people of Milford in Wales. http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-gulf-oil-refinery-at-milford-haven-pembrokeshire-west-wales-uk-gb-2675318.html
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

The 12 Apostles along the Great Ocean road.

Good call. I did that a while back. I suspect they haven't changed much