Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Castles - which should I visit?

Got a friend coming over from the U.S. who has asked if I can take her to see an old castle. Leeds and Hever are pretty and all, but I was wondering if there are others down south worth visiting? A good fortress-type castle perhaps. It's a long shot but, does anybody know their castles?!

Comments

• Options
    Wales has the best castles, btw, but doubt you want to travel out that far.
  • Options
    Bodium?

Doesn't take too long though as ruins inside the walls but worth a visit.

Never been but Dover looks impressive.
  • Options
    Local - Hever castle is really nice.
  • Options
    Get her lost in the maze at hever then rescue her or the get her to go on the water maze.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Thanks! Dover looks decent. I do aim to get laid off the back of this, but not badly enough to drive to Wales.

Well with this vital extra information, Make the effort to get to Kenilworth. The restored garden will melt any American lady's heart.

Failing that, take her up the Tower.
    Of London.
  • Options

Scotland's are better. But even further.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Scotland's are better. But even further.
    Scotland has some belters for sure, but I'm a big fan of Edward I castles.
  • Options
    Dover is fascinating.

Warwick however, gives you the real medieval Castle experience.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Dover is fascinating.

Warwick however, gives you the real medieval Castle experience.

I've worked at both of these and if either are going to help you achieve your goal it will be Warwick. You can pretty much convince an American that it was used as Hogwarts on the learn to fly your broomstick scenes....
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Thanks! Dover looks decent. I do aim to get laid off the back of this, but not badly enough to drive to Wales.

You tell her you're getting on a train to see a castle and end up getting a train to Scotland to see something like Cawdor castle and you'll be in for more than a quick thankyou shag
  • Options
    Leeds castle - just outside Maidstone

Warwick castle - but a bit too far perhaps
  • Options
    Another vote for Dover, such a good and iconic location too with the WW2 history as well. Not too restored either. If you'd gone down there today you could have watched the Charlton match too!

• Options
    Our students enjoyed visiting Mountfitchet Castle which is close to Stansted Airport and has a few bits to see.

Some of my faves are Hever, Leeds, Warwick, Rochester and Carisbrooke on the Isle of Wight which has some nice Charles I pieces.
  • Options
    Corfe Castle in Dorset is a beautiful ruined castle. Steam trains run past it too
  • Options

Corfe Castle in Dorset is a beautiful ruined castle. Steam trains run past it too

Agreed, Corfe castle is fantastic. Another local (ish) one is Deal castle, or Upnor castle although I haven't been there. Rochester is nice, but just the keep so only a short visit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leeds Castle is breathtaking, Dover has heart pounding history, Hever has a water maze and you could get her to wear a white shirt
  • Options
    Severndroog
  • Options
    Not exactly castles but Eltham Palace and the Tudor Barn would be worth a visit.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Take her to the castle in Walthamstow - decent pub. Ply her with drinks, she gets her Castle wish and you have a better chance of achieving your goal. :wink:
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Scotney Castle is nice and not far away. Quite cutesy and romantic. Hint. Hint.
  • Options
    Tower of London, pre book, go early and midweek to avoid queues. Jewels, beautiful medieval graffiti, suits of armour, history oozing from every stone. Arm yourself with a few facts about the likes of Raleigh and Lady Jane Grey, The Princes and Anne Boylen. Maybe show her The Monument after.
  • Options
    Severndroog
  • Options
    Not a castle but Ightam Mote is very pretty, from the 1300s, has a moat and was owned by Americans.

National Trust too and close to Sevenoaks so can do Knowle House on the same trip.