Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Castles - which should I visit?

Comments

• Options
    Some excellent suggestions here, thanks everyone.
  • Options
    If you go to Bodiam you can get the steam train from Tenterden.
  • Options
    This is a bit of drive but St. Michaels mount? Very pretty and unique with the tide thing ( boat across & walk back.) plus Cornwall is a nice little couple of days away!
  • Options
    San Marino is great for castle lovers, but a bit far!
  • Options
    Canterbury Castle, not much left of it but iconic nonetheless. You also have the added advantage of the Cathedral as well which is truly amazing with history coming out of every stone.

Another good castle/cathedral combination is Rochester.
  • Options
    get her on a bouncy castle
  • Options
    Boscastle is nice
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Upnor Castle has been mentioned.....Upnor itself is a great place to visit, with some nice pubs, but the castle ain't that interesting to be honest.
  • Options
    Colchester Castle is the best castle experience I've had recently, although while it's very old, it is basically an interactive museum
  • Options
    Another vote for Bodiam. It's an archetypal castle - what kids would draw if you asked them.

And then, can I suggest a safari to deepest Essex? Just across the river, not a castle, as such, but Tilbury Fort started under Henry VIII and a very interesting design. Also the site of QEI's famous "heart and stomach of a King" speech. Then further inland, there's Hedingham Castle - the best-preserved Norman Keep in the UK. Finally, there's also Layer Marney Tower, also from the Henry VIII era. Again, not a castle but a palace with the tallest Tudor Gatehouse in the UK.

Finally- useless fact of the day - all spiral staircases in castles go anti-clockwise (on the way down). This is because most people are right handed and it was easier to defend using your sword on the wider portion of the stairs. In case you've wondered, the stairs in castles also have deliberately different size steps. The defender would be familiar with the big and small steps but the attacker was more likely to trip up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Another vote for Bodiam. It's an archetypal castle - what kids would draw if you asked them.

And then, can I suggest a safari to deepest Essex? Just across the river, not a castle, as such, but Tilbury Fort started under Henry VIII and a very interesting design. Also the site of QEI's famous "heart and stomach of a King" speech. Then further inland, there's Hedingham Castle - the best-preserved Norman Keep in the UK. Finally, there's also Layer Marney Tower, also from the Henry VIII era. Again, not a castle but a palace with the tallest Tudor Gatehouse in the UK.

Finally- useless fact of the day - all spiral staircases in castles go anti-clockwise (on the way down). This is because most people are right handed and it was easier to defend using your sword on the wider portion of the stairs. In case you've wondered, the stairs in castles also have deliberately different size steps. The defender would be familiar with the big and small steps but the attacker was more likely to trip up!

learnt that recently when I visited old soar manor near Ightham. not a bad place to visit plus its free.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

learnt that recently when I visited old soar manor near Ightham. not a bad place to visit plus its free.
    haven't been there. thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    Are you after the castle experience as a bit of history (in which case Dover or Rochester sound best, Bodiam is in a nice setting, the Tower probably a bit too touristy) or as a romantic idea (in which case Hever).

Good luck either way. If you get further afield, I've not been to Warwick but the castles in Wales or on the English border are generally really interesting. We went to Goodrich in Herefordshire a while back and that was good, even though it's ruins it was on a grand scale with a good view of the valley below.
  • Options
    If you do go as far as Wales then Castell Coch (or Castle Cock for us English on a wind up) off the M4 is stunning.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Sorry, now going further off piste but if anyone is venturing into Essex, the Cressing Temple Barns are well worth a visit. These are huge and very impressive structures. One is, I believe, the oldest timber frame barn in the world and another is the biggest. While it's probably better to visit when there's an event day of some description, there's also a walled Tudor garden and some falconry displays. (Or at least there was when I was there!)

Edited to add: there's also the Chapel of St Peter-on-the-Wall at Bradwell-on-Sea. Dating from the seventh century it's one of the oldest buildings in the UK and still in regular use! But, in fairness, you'd want to be doing something else in the area as well.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Sorry, now going further off piste but if anyone is venturing into Essex, then turn around and go home the Cressing Temple Barns are well worth a visit. These are huge and very impressive structures. One is, I believe, the oldest timber frame barn in the world and another is the biggest. While it's probably better to visit when there's an event day of some description, there's also a walled Tudor garden and some falconry displays. (Or at least there was when I was there!)

• Options
    Leuth said:

Colchester Castle is the best castle experience I've had recently, although while it's very old, it is basically an interactive museum

Ah yes, I remember visiting Colchester Castle before that FA Cup tie...definitely the highlight of the day!

Norwich Castle is similar
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Sorry, now going further off piste but if anyone is venturing into Essex, the Cressing Temple Barns are well worth a visit. These are huge and very impressive structures. One is, I believe, the oldest timber frame barn in the world and another is the biggest. While it's probably better to visit when there's an event day of some description, there's also a walled Tudor garden and some falconry displays. (Or at least there was when I was there!)

And she should get to see at least one?
  • Options
    Get down to Corfe Castle, you can take in the Purbecks whilst you are their, go on a steam train, visit durdle door/lulworth cove, have a stroll on Swanage or Studland beach. Plenty to do but then again I am biased having spent the majority of my life there.
  • Options
    Beardface said:

cafcfan said:

Sorry, now going further off piste but if anyone is venturing into Essex, then turn around and go home the Cressing Temple Barns are well worth a visit. These are huge and very impressive structures. One is, I believe, the oldest timber frame barn in the world and another is the biggest. While it's probably better to visit when there's an event day of some description, there's also a walled Tudor garden and some falconry displays. (Or at least there was when I was there!)

Yeah, so funny.... But I would hate such jaded humour to cause people to think twice about making a trip that might otherwise delight.

I have a book which is part of the Buildings of England series. It's a fairly heavy duty architectural guide on Essex; it's 939 pages. I use it to pick out places to visit. There's plenty of choice.

It was first published in 1954. Here's what the bloke who wrote it had to say at the time. "Essex is not as popular a touring and sight-seeing county as it deserves to be. People say that is due to the squalor of Liverpool Street Station. Looking around the suicidal waiting-room on platform 9 ......I am inclined to agree".

Yes, Essex-bashing really is that old and just a little bit stale now as a humorous concept.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, Essex has over 14,000 listed buildings, a large number by any standard; and almost certainly the prettiest village in England - Finchingfield. Sure it's rough in places. Mostly around the southern edges with a soupçon of Jaywick thrown in for good measure. However, I'd suggest anyone who gives Essex a swerve is doing themselves a disservice. Nonetheless I understand its esoteric pleasures might be a little beyond anyone more used to what South London or the Medway towns have to offer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Beardface said:

cafcfan said:

Yeah, so funny.... But I would hate such jaded humour to cause people to think twice about making a trip that might otherwise delight.

I have a book which is part of the Buildings of England series. It's a fairly heavy duty architectural guide on Essex; it's 939 pages. I use it to pick out places to visit. There's plenty of choice.

It was first published in 1954. Here's what the bloke who wrote it had to say at the time. "Essex is not as popular a touring and sight-seeing county as it deserves to be. People say that is due to the squalor of Liverpool Street Station. Looking around the suicidal waiting-room on platform 9 ......I am inclined to agree".

Yes, Essex-bashing really is that old and just a little bit stale now as a humorous concept.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, Essex has over 14,000 listed buildings, a large number by any standard; and almost certainly the prettiest village in England - Finchingfield. Sure it's rough in places. Mostly around the southern edges with a soupçon of Jaywick thrown in for good measure. However, I'd suggest anyone who gives Essex a swerve is doing themselves a disservice. Nonetheless I understand its esoteric pleasures might be a little beyond anyone more used to what South London or the Medway towns have to offer.
  • Options
    Go to Rochester............ where you can take her up on the battlements!
  • Options
    Join English Heritage it will save you a fortune and give you good ideas wherever you are in the country.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Join English Heritage it will save you a fortune and give you good ideas wherever you are in the country.

Sign up to the New Zealand version of the English Heritage (or is it National Trust I'm thinking of).

I've not done it myself but have heard its a lot cheaper AND with your New Zealand card you apparently get the same benefits if your over in England and visiting English Heritage places.

http://www.heritage.org.nz/get-involved/join-us/membership-benefits

Edit: Get discounted or free access to both National Trust or English Heritage... Individual price is $89 which works out to £50 per year for both whereas National Trust is £64.80 per year or English Heritage is £54 per year.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I think he would be better suited getting an Anne Summers store card.
  • Options

Sign up to the New Zealand version of the English Heritage (or is it National Trust I'm thinking of).

I've not done it myself but have heard its a lot cheaper AND with your New Zealand card you apparently get the same benefits if your over in England and visiting English Heritage places.
    Yes, we had a family one for a year and got our money back just on two events at Eltham Palace.
  • Options
    Lullingstone is a little different, but Americans find it interesting.
  • Options
    If you're going to do English Heritage or National Trust check whether your Tesco or Nectar card will give you a discount. Massive savings to be had on these.
  • Options

http://www.heritage.org.nz/get-involved/join-us/membership-benefits

Edit: Get discounted or free access to both National Trust or English Heritage... Individual price is $89 which works out to £50 per year for both whereas National Trust is £64.80 per year or English Heritage is £54 per year.
    That's a great tip - thank you!

You know if you still pay parking etc?