Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Castles - which should I visit?

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I'm a huge fan of this topic

Try Arundel, and Amberley if you have quite a few quid to spare for an overnight. Windsor of course - sorry if already mentioned.

There's a site called e castles - http://www.ecastles.co.uk

Bodiam is of course an archetypical fairy tale looking castle, however it in reality it was bordering on a folly/stately home.

It's defences are weak with large windows and an easily drained moat main purpose was to make it look more imposing. Memory fails but I think it also uses some archetectual tricks to add it that, and says more about the symbolism of castle building than practical defence. It was built during an era when curtain walls were about to become obselete due to the rise of gunpowder and canon, in favour of lower deeper angular defences or bastions.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Parking is free for National Trust members at their sites.

And they do great cakes.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Leeds Castle has it's own B and B. It's reasonably priced and when the punters leave you are free to roam the grounds with the chance, of course some Anglo-American 'interaction' with a stunning alfresco backdrop. Mind the geese though.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Leeds Castle has it's own B and B. It's reasonably priced and when the punters leave you are free to roam the grounds with of course some Anglo-American interaction with a stunning alfresco backdrop. Mind the geese though.

Thornbury Castle in Gloucestershire is a Tudor castle which is currently used as a luxury hotel. Imagine the hanky panky you could get up to in this little number. One hopes the en-suite Garderobe has been updated though....

• Options
    The Castle in Eltham has closed. I suggest you try the Elephant & Castle pub.
  • Options
    Berkeley Castle is a beauty.....though of course a long way from the SE.
  • Options
    7droog has to be worth a visit too ,great views and community run/local.
    www.severndroogcastle.org.uk
    I know already mentioned.
  • Options
    Rochester castle is an easy option. Fully climbable, nice open gardens, and on a sunny day head down to ye arrow to get pissed up and gaze upon her form while she gazes at the old Norman keep. Then after smoothly booking a room at one of the many hotels on the olde worlde high street. You get to taste the fruits of your labour and her, taste the fruits of your loins.

Tell her to lie back and call you the artful dodger and you discover little dorrit
  • Options
    Bodium is great but Dover has a world of history and normally lots of free events, it is a long walk up and down though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Thanks! Dover looks decent. I do aim to get laid off the back of this, but not badly enough to drive to Wales.

Well if that is the case just take her to The Castle pub
  • Options
    Dover Also I would say Colchester as well enjoyed that one
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Thanks! Dover looks decent. I do aim to get laid off the back of this, but not badly enough to drive to Wales.

Well if that is the case just take her to The Castle pub
    In that case stick your hand in your wallet and go to Amberly 99% guarantee...

• Options
    I am off to visit Alnwick castle later today .. however, FAR too far north for a day's trip from the smoke ((:>)
  • Options

I am off to visit Alnwick castle later today .. however, FAR too far north for a day's trip from the smoke ((:>)

Great castle. As are Bamburgh and Warkworth. Enjoy.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

thanks ((:>)
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Have always wanted to visit Bamburgh because of the link to Bernard Cornwell's Viking novels.

Hoping to visit Tintagel Castle when down in Cornwall next month, has anyone been there before?
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Have always wanted to visit Bamburgh because of the link to Bernard Cornwell's Viking novels.

Hoping to visit Tintagel Castle when down in Cornwall next month, has anyone been there before?
    Yes. It's pretty good, what with being on the coast and all. It is however a total ruin. While there, check out Merlin's Cave on the beach and the Old Post Office in Tintagel village which looks like its roof must have been constructed by @PeakieRocket 's builders
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Yeah Tintagel is fun. Not for vertigo sufferers though as there are some very steep staircases up and down the cliffs
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Dover is fascinating.

Warwick however, gives you the real medieval Castle experience.

I'm pretty sure I've been there and it was a goodun. I also seem to have this memory of a skeleton hanging behind a curtain. Must of been delirious at the time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tintagel is great!
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

rain absolutely hammered down in the Newcastle/Sunderland area so was too unpleasant to drive 50 miles north from where I am staying to Alnwick ..
    Soooo,went to Durham instead .. 2 for the price of one .. the cathedral and castle are cheek by jowl and an added bonus is the city of Durham itself .. all in all a good day out despite the rain which did abate later in the afternoon
  • Options
    Why are we having this conversation. Park up in tenterden, pub lunch, get on steam train to Bodium, casual stroll up to one of the most castley of castles in the country, dinner in the pub over the road, oops missed the last train back and have to get a room in said pub. Crash, bang, wallop and jobs a good 'Un.
  • Options
    Carcassonne in France, albeit a few miles away and in fact a 17th century walled Citie.
  • Options
    Bend er over in Dover.
  • Options

Carcassonne in France, albeit a few miles away and in fact a 17th century walled Citie.

France!!!......he wants to shag her not marry her, he has already said Wales was too far.

However I agree fully with you Carcassonne is a beautiful example.
  • Options
    most in Kent and Sussex have been mentioned but Bodium is probably your best bet. A bit further afield but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Framlingham.
  • Options
    Bamburgh. Proper castle. Kept the Scots out. Need more of them.
  • Options
    If anyone is heading up to North Norfolk, I went to Castle Rising Castle last year which I'd recommend. Great views of the village of Castle Rising from the earthworks.