Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stevenage v Charlton - PSF - Match Thread

Now it gets serious.

Early pre-season games and results can be dismissed as being for fitness and sharpness but with just 14 days to the big kick off patterns of play and preferred formations should start to appear.

Stevenage will also be the highest ranking of the opponents so far and the last away friendly. The club from the soulless town in Herts finished just outside the league two play-offs so should be more of a test than Welling or Greenwich.

The Charlton squad was boosted this morning by the return of Jay Dasilva but given that he has just returned from successful England U19 duty he may still be in the squad but is unlikely to start.

Expect to see Bauer, Pearce, Solly and Kashi return after missing the Greenwich game along with a few other probable starters such as Magennis while Fosu and Holmes return from injury. Watt and Novak are still out with knocks.

Biggest surprise could be the return of keeper David Martin, rumoured to be training with Charlton again.

Stevanage 0 - 2 Charlton Ath

Comments

• Nothing says the season is coming, quite like a Friday 3pm pre season friendly.

1-1
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • MrOneLung said:

Nothing says the season is coming, quite like a Friday 3pm pre season friendly.

1-1

Friday?

4-0nil to the mighty addicks
  • 0-3 to KR's Red and White Army (If they are playing in the new kit that is).
  • Dansk_Red said:

0-3 to KR's Red and White Army (If they are playing in the new kit that is).

Apparently not until Bristol Rovers!
  • MrOneLung said:

1-1

Friday?

date has now been amended on the thread title (Although Stevanage has not..)
  • has Holmes played yet pre-season?

Came on for 10-15 minutes against Crumlin. Scored, went off again.

Only against Crumlin
  • Anyone know how long Holmes and Fosu are out for?
  • Sponsored links:

• Holmes should be playing Saturday. I don't know about Fosu. Source Ketts.
  • From SLP

"Charlton are set to welcome back Ricky Holmes and Tariqe Fosu for tomorrow’s pre-season friendly at Stevenage.

There are still doubts over Tony Watt, who came off with a leg injury at Welling United last weekend, and striker Lee Novak, who has not featured since the club were in Ireland.

Ahmed Kashi and Chris Solly should also be available for selection.

Jay Dasilva, signed on a season-long loan from Chelsea today, is expected to be in the squad but after his run of games with England under-19 at the European Championship he may not be in the starting line-up.

The South London Press understands that goalkeeper David Martin is back training with Charlton. He had gone away with the Addicks for their training camp in Ireland but has not featured in matches while his future remains unresolved."
  • Anyone know if this is going to be streamed?
  • Any decent pubs in stevenage
  • clb74 said:

Any decent pubs in stevenage

Decent club house but otherwise no.
  • clb74 said:

It is the mother of shit holes. Think worse than Hull & Burnley.
  • clb74 said:

Worse than Hull x Burnley
  • edited July 2017
    clb74 said:

Big Wetherspoons in town centre - 10 minute walk - nice pub The Chequers - close to ground
    http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/restaurants/east/thechequersstevenage
  • Stevenage fans = total melts
  • clb74 said:

You can't get worse than hull burnley
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:

From when I went there, no
  • clb74 said:

clb74 said:

You can't get worse than hull burnley
    From when I went, Stevenage tops that competition.
  • MrOneLung said:

MrOneLung said:

1-1

Friday?

date has now been amended on the thread title (Although Stevanage has not..)
    If only it was possible to amend Stevenage. I'd suggest knocking it down and starting again.
  • It always makes me laugh when fans slag of Charlton when the area around the ground seems to me to be vibrant with a great selection of shops, restaurants, an IMAX and the 02 on our doorstep. I always think, it is better than where you come from! Now I am not claiming Stevenage hasn't got its faults and rough bits, the town centre is a bit 60s concrety, but as a Londoner who has moved to Hertfordshire, I can say it isn't the worst county to live in. The old town in Stevenage is actually quite pleasant and it has all the facilities you need and expect. It has some beautiful towns around it and some excellent pubs. Just because some of you haven't found them, it doesn't mean they are not there.

Fair enough, and completely understand that. I haven't explored the whole of Stevenage or the surrounding area so you are better equipped to tell us what it's like. Just from when I went back in our promotion season, our first loss that season, it looked and seemed horrible.
  • It's a shit hole
  • This would be my team:
    ............................Phillips
    Solly (C) (DaSilva 60').....Konsa......Sarr (Bauer 60')....Barnes
    .............JFC (Aribo 75')......Kashi (Crofts 70')
    Marshall (Stewart 70')..Clarke (RCC 70')....Holmes (Fosu HT)
    .............................Magennis (RHF 75')

I'm assuming Watt, Novak, and Pearce are still out.

Think Fosu and Holmes will play a half each. Would move Fosu to 10 when RCC comes on. Think DaSilva is probably good for 30min today, maybe 45-60 on Tuesday. He's probably pretty fit, just don't want to burn him out.
  • edited July 2017

Anyone know if this is going to be streamed?

Don't know yet, but always hopeful.

Edit: audio commentary :/

Fans unable to make the trip will be able to listen to live audio commentary of the match on Valley Pass, our new premium video subscription service.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/59722fd830e5a/pre-season-preview-stevenage-v-charlton
  • Nothing wrong with Hertfordshire. Stevenage isn't a nice town and there is no reason to visit if you don't have to.
  • SDAddick said:

Anyone know if this is going to be streamed?

Don't know yet, but always hopeful.

Edit: audio commentary :/

Fans unable to make the trip will be able to listen to live audio commentary of the match on Valley Pass, our new premium video subscription service.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/59722fd830e5a/pre-season-preview-stevenage-v-charlton
    Premium?
    That should read monopoly I reckon.
    If we the paying punters think it is premium we can gift that description to the service, otherwise it is a bit premature to say that about themselves.