Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FC Carl Zeiss Jena 2017-2018

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Match-day 9

FC Würzburger Kickers 2-2 FCC Att 5450 (about 500 FCC)

FCC 2-0 ahead in 20 mins, but just as on Saturday the away team could not hold a 2-0 lead and the home team managed to equalise a few mins from the end.

For FCC Eckhardt 6' Günther-Schmidt 20'

FWK were given a pen just after half-time (Jena reporter unimpressed) and drew level on 85' (FCC og).

From start to finish a proper ding-dong-do, with a really furious second half. "The roof was on fire from the first minute".

FCC now 19th in the table. Next match is on Sat 23 Sep - home to Preußen Münster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTEm_GNwy1Q
  • edited September 2017
    Match-day 10

FCC 2-0 SC Preußen Münster Att : 4230

Günther-Schmidt 28' pen Starke 90'

FCC's first home win of the season takes them out of the relegation zone

Next match away to 1.FC Magdeburg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hoe4jndw3o

• My visit at the Ernst-Abbe-Sportfeld ended with disappointment for my Muenster fellows. They saw an totally unispiered team. That reminded me of many Addicks games. The atmosphere at the stadium was good and after their second goal the "Suedkurve" went crazy.
    Unfortunately Andreas Trautmann became ill and wasn't able to meet me around the game. But I've sent him an e-mail with some question about the stadium plans.

• Yesterday's announcement by FCC, as effortlessly translated by Google Translate

Roland Duchatelet: Credibility for the FCC

09/26/2017
    Roland Duchatelet waived the repayment of 2 million euros. Loan repayment is only possible if FCC is able to do so economically.

As part of the "Round Table" in the area of ​​new stadium construction, CEO Chris Förster and President Klaus Berka presented the future vision for their FC Carl Zeiss Jena to representatives of the city of Jena on Monday evening. Thus the clubspitze fulfilled a demand of the Jena city council within the framework of the soon to be decisive tender for the stadium project.

FCC Managing Director Chris Förster took the opportunity to convey a good message in terms of profitability to the participants of the "round table". Thus, shareholders Roland Duchatelet waived the repayment of 2 million euros of the loans provided by him. This waiver is endorsed with a redemption note, which means that the 2 million euros can only be repaid if the FC Carl Zeiss Jena is also economically capable of sustaining this through a stable revenue base.

All in all, the Belgian business man, who has held more than 49.98 percent of the voting rights in FC Carl Zeiss Jena Fußballspielbetriebs GmbH since 2014, has a loan facility of 4 million euros available. Up to now, 3.2 million have been called up, so that 800,000 euros are still available.

Chris Förster: "This is repeatedly a clear confession of our partner Roland Duchatelet for the club and the upcoming stadium project."

Previously, Chris Förster and Klaus Berka had pointed out in a lecture the representatives of the city once again on the urgent need for the stadium new building. And this is not just about the normal amenities that fans and visitors of a soccer game expect today or the competitiveness for the professional team. For the FC Carl Zeiss Jena, who is a training club, the achievement of the third DFB star for his junior performance center without the addition of a stadium is already not possible in infrastructure terms. About 200 children play and train in the various junior teams of the FC Carl Zeiss Jena, which every year for more than 1000 children a sensible leisure offer as part of its footballcamps on the legs. President Klaus Berka: "We want to meet our claim, to be a training club that is based on its own talents, can continue to do justice to it and become even better here. The new stadium is also inevitable for this. "

Förster: "The FCC has long since become not only an economic factor, but also a social factor in the city of Jena, beyond which it also has a nationwide reach." And the association has been using it for years to point out important charitable projects. "And we want to expand and sharpen this profile. We have the opportunity to become a very independent club by continuing our new path within the soccer landscape. The FCC is more than football! "

• edited September 2017
    Interesting. When you read that, you have to bear in mind that "FCC Carl Zeiss Jena" can mean EITHER the for-profit football club (FC Carl Zeiss Jena Fußballspielbetriebs GmbH, with pro team, 2nd team and one youth team) OR the not-for-profit local NGO that runs the boys' teams, which also holds the 50+1 shares in the for-profit club's board. The debt to RD is on the part of the for-profit club, of course. As I read it, it is used to mean both in that piece.
  • @MountsfieldPark

Great point. I cannot, without German help, get my head around how the 50plus 1 works in practice. Maybe you get it better than me. In the case of Jena, the Club runs the football side and ordinary Jena citizens are members of the club. So far so good. RD cannot impose his network on them.

So then you have the GmbH. Presumably the matchday revenues etc go to the GmbH. If RD builds his restaurants and hotel, revenues will flow to the GmbH. These revenues ought then to flow to the Club, to ensure investment in a better team. But how in practice does that work?

I am a big champion of the German system in principle but rather sheepishly have to confess that I don't understand how it works in practice :-(
  • edited September 2017

@MountsfieldPark

Great point. I cannot, without German help, get my head around how the 50plus 1 works in practice. Maybe you get it better than me. In the case of Jena, the Club runs the football side and ordinary Jena citizens are members of the club. So far so good. RD cannot impose his network on them.

So then you have the GmbH. Presumably the matchday revenues etc go to the GmbH. If RD builds his restaurants and hotel, revenues will flow to the GmbH. These revenues ought then to flow to the Club, to ensure investment in a better team. But how in practice does that work?

I am a big champion of the German system in principle but rather sheepishly have to confess that I don't understand how it works in practice :-(

I haven't really got a clue what's going on with the investment, as the way they talk about it blurs the distinctions between the various entities. It's often not even clear whether they're talking about the ongoing project to modernise the stadium or the wider regeneration of the stadium environs.

In the above piece, I think it's pretty clear they 're talking about just the football stadium, including academy premises that would be used by both the GmbH and the boys' teams. I have always understood that the plan is to incorporate some of the academy premises into one of the stands. That makes sense given the personnel involved, Forster of the GmbH and Berka, a local businessman who is a member of the not-for-profit club and appointed by that club to be President of the GmbH's board (they're both on RD's side, in any case).

As I understand it, the city owns the stadium and its environs, and the environs make up one of the city's various regeneration projects, which would ultimately be financed with local and regional government cash and perhaps EU money. It seems it may include some significant investment by RD, although he would obviously expect a full payback in some form. Earlier figures said he might invest something like 8 million euros, but now they're talking of something in the mid 20s. That makes sense if there is a bigger regeneration project. I'm honestly not clear now what he's supposed to be investing in or willing to tender for, though.

If he builds a hotel, etc, I assume he would expect to be the owner and/or operator or perhaps the leaseholder in a position to sublet. I think from they way they talk about it, that means one of his investment companies would provide the money, probably Staprix. I can't see how the GmbH as an entity could possibly afford it. Perhaps in Germany they have something like PFI, only more sensible from the point of view of the public purse?

As for 50+1. The not-for-profit membership club runs the boys' teams and holds 50+1 voting rights at the GmbH's board meetings, which it exercises through its right to appoint some of the members of the GmbH's board. RD owns 95% or something similar of the GmbH (the rest is retained by the membership club) but that only entitles him to 49% of the votes at the board meetings. That's all 50+1 means (basically). However, if the GmbH is profitable, it's his profit to take. I don't think there is a realistic model there that allows him to make a serious profit from the GmbH; in fact, since buying it, he's been propping it up with loans.

That's the best sense I can make of it at the moment.

• And now a joint open letter about the fans' involvement in the stadium project ....

Südkurveerhalt: Joint letter to the public of Jena

09/28/2017
    In this open letter, Martin Berger, head of the project area "Soccer Arena", and Toni Schley, representative of the South Kurve, turn to the Jenaer.

Literally it says in him:

Letter to the Jena public (Jena, 27 September 2017)

We both write this letter in order to express our hope for the preservation of the South Kurve as the home of the active fans' scene in the new Jena Stadium.

Although we may be very different characters, we play quite different roles within the framework of the stadium project: the one for the Fanszene and the Südkurve-Rat, the other as the responsible project leader. That is why we appreciate and respect each other for the great personal commitment in the stadium project and for openness, honesty and consistency.

We are both convinced that a stadium needs to be tailored to its users. This applies equally to the Jena family, the business guest in a loge, the organized home fans and the guest team - no group may be marginalized or feel so. For the success of the stadium project and the FCC, it is therefore highly desirable for both of us that the organized home fans can stay in the South Curve of the new stadium, and support the FCC with full force, peacefully and imaginatively.

However, this is not to be underestimated by the problems that this entails to ensure the safety of all visitors' groups on their way to the game and back to the situation at the Saale and the infrastructure in the stadium environment. Organized fans and projects have therefore been in discussions with each other since the beginning of 2016 and with the security authorities, especially police officers. The aim was, and is, to find a common path to take advantage of the new South Voyage for the home fans while at the same time safeguarding the safety requirements and thus obtaining the consent of all parties involved.

The city project has always made it clear that he does not have the competence of a safety authority either professionally or from the point of view of responsibility and therefore can not and will not undertake the weighing of different variants and requirements. The project staff and its director will only implement structural solutions for which the consent of the police authorities is available. This is a dissociation point with parts of the militant fan scene, but it must be said honestly and fairly.

The organized home fans, in turn, have left no doubt that they are very strongly identified with the South Urve. Various activities of a professional and public nature, of events and concepts, the "Crowdfanding" project to political lobbying, impressively prove this. It became very clear that all security issues should be considered in the overall context of infrastructure and the cooperative or conflicting actions of the parties involved. If the fan scene is involved in a constructive collaboration and accepts agreed rules, the police fears and conflicts can be avoided. The organized home fans have declared that they are prepared to do so and have offered a corresponding self-commitment.

On this basis, a very encouraging interim result could be achieved in March 2017 by means of a mediation procedure led by Helmut Spahn. A decisive basis for this was the self-commitment committed by the fans in self-initiative with great expertise and commitment. According to the interim result of the mediation, the self-imposed commitment within the existing infrastructure can also be used for the home fans in the new stadium. If the self-esteem should not be observed, the fans are ready to move to the north curve. Unfortunately, the police authorities have raised demands for the expansion of infrastructure, which were previously explicitly excluded, in the course of the concretization of the mediation agreements. The city sees itself neither today nor in the medium term, the necessary funds of at least € 10 million. This is confirmed by the testimony of the supporters who argue that the infrastructure measures in question result in only minor safety improvements. Indeed, the question arises as to whether the critical infrastructure is not used more than if the home fans stay in the South Curve, if the home fans are accommodated in the north curve.

This has created a difficult situation that neither the city nor the fan scene, and certainly not the two authors of this letter, wanted. The entire stadium project can be endangered if there is a move of the home fans into the north curve. The project staff has drawn attention to this danger in all honesty, severity and consistency, and points out that on the basis of the current basis, it can only anchor the exact move into the North Curve in the tender documents.

Fanscene and project staff have thus first come into conflict - but we are both sure that we have to pull together and have found a common path in a debate. It would be wrong and highly dangerous if we perceived ourselves as an opponent, or would let this perception impinge upon us. In this context, we would also like to ask all municipal and state politicians who want to support the South Coast to help the fan scene and the project staff in their respective fields of action and not create conflicts.

We agree that there must be a new, technically well-supported and transparent assessment of the interim results of the mediation. The project staff has already involved the DFB and commissioned the experienced consultants of companeer - both in mutual agreement. We hope that the police authorities in Jena and the Thuringian Ministry of the Interior will be openly and constructively in the process and will re-evaluate and weigh up. The argument that the fans' self-commitment and willingness to cooperate are to be rated higher than infrastructure and police intervention weighs heavily.

To repeat it, we both wish that on this basis, the South Kurve will also be available to the FCC fans in the new stadium. We will work on it, though everyone in his role and within the limits of his field of action, but without dividing us apart.

signed Toni Schey signed Martin Berger
    on behalf of the active fans' scene head of the football arena
    of FC Carl Zeiss Jena

In the following, there are many advocates of the South-South of the South-West, with a clear statement for a solution in the sense of fans and fan culture.

Statements_SU__DKURVE_BLEIBT.pdf | 0.9 M

• So it's a very long-winded way of saying don't blame us, blame the police, signed Pontius and Pilate. I always say there's nothing like taking a problem by the scruff of the neck and subjecting it to "a new, technically well-supported and transparent assessment of the interim results of the mediation".

And didn't Kafka's hero K have a few brushes with the Thuringian Ministry of the Interior?

• Or, to put it another way - Wir stimmen darin überein, dass es eine erneute, fachlich gut untersetzte und transparente Bewertung des Zwischenergebnisses der Mediation geben muss. Self-explanatory, really ....

Is it not the case that the Ultras want the South Kurve replicated in the new stadium, and if their demand is granted in return they will be held fully and personally accountable in some form of binding agreement, financially and conduct-wise? How does that actually get enforced? And what do the other fans think of such favouritism?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2017
    Is that so? That statement seems to be concerned that the police, etc, may effectively force a move of the home fans to the North Curve anyway, which will endanger "the entire stadium project", but that (if I understand the translation correctly), as things stand, the City will have to assume a move to the North Curve as a basis for the tender documentation which is due imminently.

I suppose that is the cause of the delay to the tendering process and that Forster and Berka were trying to apply pressure to the City. What does that say about the club's attitude towards the South Curve hard core? Are they telling the City in so many words to get on with it and ignore the South Curve fans (and perhaps hinting at losing RD's good will, i.e. possible investment)?
  • From what I remember from our visit ( @GlassHalfFull will have a view) the development has to be behind the Sudkurve, because at the other end the land is already in use, I think other sports.

So the relatively simple issue is, you would have the Ultras in the place where the posh stuff will be built. The hotel with views on the pitch (a la STVV) won't be happy when all the flares go off, or perhaps when Hansa Rostock's disgruntled mob smashes all the windows.

Not sure where I stand on it. I am pretty sure if a load of exec boxes were planned for our North Stand there would be a hell of a stink.
  • edited October 2017
    Match-day 11

1. FC Magdeburg 2-0 FCC

Att: an impressive 20778

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d40cYrnpzso

• From what I remember from our visit ( @GlassHalfFull will have a view) the development has to be behind the Sudkurve, because at the other end the land is already in use, I think other sports.

So the relatively simple issue is, you would have the Ultras in the place where the posh stuff will be built. The hotel with views on the pitch (a la STVV) won't be happy when all the flares go off, or perhaps when Hansa Rostock's disgruntled mob smashes all the windows.

Not sure where I stand on it. I am pretty sure if a load of exec boxes were planned for our North Stand there would be a hell of a stink.

I had an idea that it was a completely new stadium - if the cost really is €52 million that is a fair old amount to be spending, especially if there is no cost for the land.
  • Match-day 11

1. FC Magdeburg 2-0 FCC

Att: an impressive 20778

That looks like a proper football theatre, eh, mate, a step-change up from the game and stadium we saw at Jena.

Judging by those clips I am not sure I would fancy Charlton's chances away to Magdeburg.

• Magdeburg's season's average is around 17/18000, but in fairness at 235K the city is twice the size of Jena ....
  • edited October 2017

Today's keenly-anticipated Thuringia [State] Cup visit from RW Erfurt ended in a 2-1 win for FCC.

Günther-Schmidt 66' Erlbeck 70' RWE 90+4' consolation pen

• FCC's next match is on Saturday at home to Hansa Rostock.

For any Addicks at a loose end FCC are advertising on their website a number of full-time, part-time and trainee job opportunities currently available.

Of some note are the vacancies for trainees in video scouting and analysis ....
  • edited October 2017

Matchday 12

FCC 1-0 Hansa Rostock A rare clean sheet and overall an impressive performance against the division's meanest defence.

Brügmann 85'

Att : 8045 A beautiful afternoon and 22 deg C helped to bring out a bumper 7000 home fans, and around 1000 Rostockers made the 900km round-trip.

This welcome win took FCC up to 15th. Next match is the short away trip to Zwickau on Sunday 22 Oct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw63m1TQ0K4

• From FCC's website - information and instructions for the 1000+ Jenaers making the short trip to Zwickau. Another fiery East-Derby in the offing ....

Away information for the Zwickau drivers

19/10/2017
    More than 1,000 Zeiss fans are on their way to Westsachsen

The next away game

Sunday, 22 October 2017 at the FSV Zwickau

Kick-off: 2 pm

The stadium

For the first time FC Carl Zeiss will be in the new Zwickauer Stadium, which was built for approx. EUR 19 million between February 2015 and August 2016, with 10,134 spectators.

tickets

In Zwickau there will be day-to-day funds for the guests' fans, where exactly 227 stand-alone tickets for the Jena fan club can be offered. In jena, more than 1,000 Zeiss fans have already made use of the advance sale.

guests block

Block D on the south stand of the stadium with 1,271 standing places. Admission is € 14 for adults, € 12 for children up to 18 years, for students, retirees, disabled persons, € 6 for children (7 to 13 years). Wheelchair users should follow the signposts to the disabled parking spaces and access their parking spaces on the opposite street. With further questions, you can contact the Zwickauer Behindertenfanbeauftragten Heiko Fetisch: behindertenbeauftragter@fsv-zwickau.de.

All fan supplies according to the DFB recommendation are allowed! These are flags and double holders up to 2 m stick length, 3 large flags over 2 m stick length, 2 Megaphone, drums (below open or visible), fence flags and banners. Backpacks and large bags can not be taken to the stadium. There is a custody in the entrance area. This is, however, limited, so you are asked to leave your backpacks and bags in the bus or car. The number of lockers at the main station is not too big. Small handbags or belt bags can be carried along after inspection.

The home fans

Games between the Westsachsen and FC Carl Zeiss have always promised a special explosiveness, also in the ranks. Outside the guest area, as well as on the approach and departure routes, one should be careful and behave inconspicuously and not provoke.

The fan bus

All information on the Supporters page

Getting there

At the exit "Meerane" leave the motorway A 4, then in the direction of Zwickau on the B93, continue towards the center. Leave the B93 at the "Crossen" exit and turn left into the Gewerbestraße Mülsengrund and follow the B173 junction. The journey continues on the B173 in the direction of Zwickau to the junction Mülsener Straße. From this junction, follow the signs "Gäste". Currently the Stadionallee can not be found in all current navigation devices. We therefore recommend entering Albert-Funk-Straße / Ecke Max-Planck-Straße.

Parking fee 3, - €.

train driver

From Zwickau Hbf to the stadium (and back) again a shuttle to the stadium is used, which is also mandatory to use.

• Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017
    Match-day 13

FSV Zwickau 2-1 FCC Att: 8126 - Zwickau's biggest crowd of the season, augmented by around 1200 Jenaers

For FCC Bock 4' - Zwickau equalised on 36' and took the lead on 49'

FCC now 17th, and next are at home to SC Paderborn, 3. Liga's outright leaders (W11 D1 L1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpMNgPvJd2M

• So the relatively simple issue is, you would have the Ultras in the place where the posh stuff will be built. The hotel with views on the pitch (a la STVV) won't be happy when all the flares go off, or perhaps when Hansa Rostock's disgruntled mob smashes all the windows.

Don't know about the windows but they threw fish at the Zeiss fans
  • edited October 2017

Don't know about the windows but they threw fish at the Zeiss fans
    If there is an inquiry, FCC security might have some awkward questions to answer -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFlTjdz4dxE

I wonder if the fish were haddock ....
  • From the FCC OS - apologies for missing it.

No specific mention of RD by name, only of an "investor in Europe". The old 'un ready to pull out ? And still the stumbling block of the Südkurve (South Korea - sic!) ....

City Council creates construction law for new football arena

19/10/2017
    On Monday evening, Jena City Council decided on a major part of the development plan

This opens the way for the public, pan-European tender for the project, the total cost of which is currently estimated at 52 million euros. However, this impressive sum does not only include the pure stadium construction, but also the costs for the infrastructure to be built and the new home of Jena athletics, which will be necessary to convert the Ernst Abbe sports field into a pure football arena.

The development plan also stipulates that up to a height of 25 meters - and thus still a few meters higher than the existing main stand - may be built. The stadium to be constructed is to be DFL-compatible and thus meet the minimum requirement of a capacity of 15,000 spectators.

However, it is unclear how things will go on in South Korea. Here the club and the active fans' scene have clearly become aware of the traditional location of the home fans. By the end of the year, the exact wording of the call for tenders is to be worked out and decided by the Jena city council, which is to be searched for an investor in Europe, who is not only supposed to build the stadium but also to operate it.

Until then, it should be clear what will become of the South Voyage. It is currently the case that the police and the Ministry of the Interior would only agree to the stay of the Jena fans in the South Curve, if further construction measures in the stadium surrounding the access were provided. However, this would entail considerable additional costs, which could significantly exceed the volume of EUR 52 million.

• edited October 2017
    Matchday 14

FCC 3-1 Paderborn Att: a disappointing 4219

A tigerish performance from FCC against the league leaders, and a sensational victory. Paderborn started the match 11-1-1.

Goals og 17' Grösch 22' Wolfram 64'

Next match away to FC Aalen 4 Nov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8IBQAXlEQ

• edited November 2017
    Match-day 15

VFR Aalen 3-1 FCC Att: 3.792 (300 Jenaers)

FCC led at H-T through Eismann 45+2', but by 67' they had conceded 3.

A heavy collision on 30' between defender Cros and goalie Koczor saw both leave the field.

FCC have never beaten Aalen - the 9-game record now reads 0-3-6

FCC now 13th

Next match 12 Nov vs ZFC Meuselwitz Thuringia State Cup

Highlights here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5_tBKVaVSY

• edited November 2017
    Thuringia State Cup QF

ZFC Meuselwitz 1-3 FCC aet

An injury-ravaged FCC took a welcome early lead through Bock 4' but a sprightly ZFC equalised on 79'. A tense 10 minutes ensued followed by an equally fraught period of extra time, but the deadlock was finally broken for FCC by Eckhardt 113', followed by Dietz's clincher on 115'.

Att : 1946 (around 700 from Jena

Next match Sat 18 Nov at home to Werder Bremen II

• The highlights video of yesterday's match vs ZFC Meuselwitz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsTGXbDCxq0

• Match-day 16

FCC 2-1 Werder Bremen II Att: 4230

Bock 16' Eckhardt 86'

FCC's fifth straight home win takes them up to 12th

Next match home to VFL Osnabrück 25 Nove

Before the Werder game a team photo was taken - together with the fans!! See video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE-oa23KUtQ
  • Looks like they are finding their feet in Bundesliga 3. Amazing what you can achieve when RD doesn't interfere on the playing side.