Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tony Watt - Waste of a Talent

edited August 2017 in General Charlton
From one of the most talented footballers I've seen in the last 35 years to one of the most unfit disinterested players to wear a Charlton Athletic Red Football shirt I have ever seen.

From the fella that I was ripping a new one out of Huddersfield in 2015, to someone today who came on for Billy Clarke after 70 minutes today, and within ten of those minutes looked like a Sunday morning player who had a hangover from the night before and was blowing out of his backside by the end of the game.

It's his career and he can do how he sees fit , but carry on that way, my god what a waste of a talent.

Comments

• Sums him up perfectly @shirty5
  • Brilliant 20 minutes, worked hard, played a incisive through ball to Ahearne Grant and even managed to keep his shin pads on. Get rid.
  • Disgusting 'performance',never want to see him ìn a Charlton shirt again after that. Looked totally disinterested,lazy and unfit. That 'through ball' to Ahearne Grant summed him up. Did anyone else see i think Kashi rowing with him after the final whistle?
  • I think I got flagged once for calling him something. Well, same again but with bells on.
  • edited August 2017
    Halix said:

People around me kept complaining and moaning that he wasnt chasing the ball down. Yet Robinson himself said that he instructed Watt not to do that but instead keep ten men in front of the ball.

Today it was more important to defend the lead rather than chase for a second, a lot of people didnt seem to appreciate that.

I cant believe how quickly people have changed from wetting themselves about his return, to slagging him off. I cant see that his game has changed that much, mind you I never thought he was that much cop.

We had 10 men in front of the ball with Clarke. He comes on and suddenly we looked like we were playing with 9 men. Robinson at fault then?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017

Short of form and confidence and thrown on with a remit to play his part in seeing out a win at all costs.
    He's lost his mojo and I worry he may have lost whatever it was that made him special.
    But, blimey you lot are harsh critics.
    "Lazy" " Disinterested" "Unfit and blowing out his arse". I dissent from these views.

Didn't see today admittedly, but I have never seen a Watt that wasn't lazy, disinterested or blowing out of his arse within 20 minutes.

Maybe a couple of games when he first arrived, but the guy has never done anything for us and I don't think he cares.
  • Short of form and confidence and thrown on with a remit to play his part in seeing out a win at all costs.
    He's lost his mojo and I worry he may have lost whatever it was that made him special.
    But, blimey you lot are harsh critics.
    "Lazy" " Disinterested" "Unfit and blowing out his arse". I dissent from these views.

Didn't see today admittedly, but I have never seen a Watt that wasn't lazy, disinterested or blowing out of his arse within 20 minutes.

Maybe a couple of games when he first arrived, but the guy has never done anything for us and I don't think he cares.
    I'm judging solely on today's game and I accept I hold a minority view.
    Last season was a different thing entirely
  • He looked more tired than the heroes who had played virtually the whole match with 10 men. There was no energy about his performance, on the odd occasions when he made attacking runs, he never then sprinted back to help his defence
  • Davo55 said:

He was piss poor. Awful ball control. Didn't make a single convincing challenge. When going for a header always led with his back and jumped at the opponent rather than the ball. Every pass misdirected or under-powered.

He was the only blemish on an otherwise very good, determined yet skilful team performance.

He looked like he doesn't want to be here, and I'm sure most of the crowd would grant him his wish.

Novak certainly beats to him to that!
  • Yeah let's face it he didn't do that much to help us see out that win but it's a team game and if Robinson told him not to close down anyone then fair enough it's a win and 3 points, but he did look somewhat disinterested and you'd have thought he played the full 90 the way he was strolling around like my grandad in Tesco after just coming on... but he couldn't have completely lost what he once was for us when he nutmugged 47 Hudderfield players and curled it in the net, that quality can't have vanished, it's still there somewhere and hopefully it will come back but for the meantime I'll be there in the terraces with you guys chanting his name because he's very clearly a confidence type of player
  • Tony Watt has so much talent. I know because I've seen it. What he did today in the short time he was on the pitch tells me he has big problems with the mental side to his game.

He's not got what it takes for reasons I don't understand or know about. I wish him well but he's not going to be a footballer.
  • I think he's lost his mojo. But I still believe he can get it back.

If he stays the season I hope him and management sort out his best role. I didnt think much when he came on BUT he was one through ball to KHG to a good cameo.

Everyone wants him to do well.
  • I think he's lost his mojo. But I still believe he can get it back.

If he stays the season I hope him and management sort out his best role. I didnt think much when he came on BUT he was one through ball to KHG to a good cameo.

Everyone wants him to do well.

You sound as bad as every manager he's had. All seem to think they are the one who can get him to work. How many more chances does he need? I completely gave up hope after that MK Dons game last season. He's clearly just there to collect his wages. Has no interest in even trying to put some effort in. The old saying of talent only gets you so far, well Tony you should know as it's got you to league 1 and unless you sort yourself out that's as high as you'll play from here on.
  • Quite worrying that after a pre season he can be blowing out of his arse after less than 20 minutes. Pretty sure that even a decent sunday league player could run around for longer.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was discussing tony watt at a recent post business social event when a younger glaswegian attendee at the event mentioned the parties at tony's place are legendary in that neck of the woods. He added that, he guessed it was far enough away from the club for them not to bother to investigate. If true possible reason for the waste of talent.
    George Best and Gazza got away with abusing their bodies in their early years. The world has moved on and Tony Watt's talent, which was nowhere near either of those two, can only be saved now if he understands he has a problem. Something that is unlikely if he is spending a lot of time and money on partying north of the border.
  • Injury hampered his pre-season - give him a chance this season.
  • edited August 2017
    Judge him by the way he plays when this team hasn't been playing with ten men since the 6th minute on a hot day and we are not defending a 1-0 lead with very tired legs. He did what was needed to be done, not what the muppets in the gallery think he should be doing.
  • Davo55 said:

He was piss poor. Awful ball control. Didn't make a single convincing challenge. When going for a header always led with his back and jumped at the opponent rather than the ball. Every pass misdirected or under-powered.

He was the only blemish on an otherwise very good, determined yet skilful team performance.

He looked like he doesn't want to be here, and I'm sure most of the crowd would grant him his wish.

Novak certainly beats to him to that!
    Of course. I'd kind of written him off and was talking about those who actually played for a prolonged period.
  • Yeah let's face it he didn't do that much to help us see out that win but it's a team game and if Robinson told him not to close down anyone then fair enough it's a win and 3 points, but he did look somewhat disinterested and you'd have thought he played the full 90 the way he was strolling around like my grandad in Tesco after just coming on... but he couldn't have completely lost what he once was for us when he nutmugged 47 Hudderfield players and curled it in the net, that quality can't have vanished, it's still there somewhere and hopefully it will come back but for the meantime I'll be there in the terraces with you guys chanting his name because he's very clearly a confidence type of player

Did Robbo say don't close down anybody or just don't close down the centre halfs? The latter makes sense, the former doesn't.

It also does not excuse not doing the basic things. When a full back needs to clear it is going to go down the chanel. That is where he should be, not marking the centre spot hoping the ball comes his way. He also needs to jump and try and head the ball, not watch what the centre half is doing and jump at him.
  • He'll score v Exeter and Plymouth and then be loaned out again.
  • Tony Watt has so much talent. I know because I've seen it. What he did today in the short time he was on the pitch tells me he has big problems with the mental side to his game.

He's not got what it takes for reasons I don't understand or know about. I wish him well but he's not going to be a footballer.

Taxi driving in five years.
  • edited August 2017
    i don't massively hate him nor get the need for it any here, more pissed off with novak getting a straight red and banned for 3 games,its asif the sqaud wasnt thin enough.

happy to see him go away IF we get someone else in, in fact id probably rather that then every time he plays we create a thread on it.