Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt - Waste of a Talent

Comments

• Options

but no mention of a fee.
    and no mention of what size pay off to 'encourage' him to go

I think his contract was up at the end of this season, so I would think, the club have paid his wages for the rest of it.
    not for the first time. what a way to run a football cloob.

• Options

but no mention of a fee.

I think his contract was up at the end of this season, so I would think, the club have paid his wages for the rest of it.
    I really hope this wasn't the case. I doubt we received a fee, but letting him go for free would be enough without paying him to go.
  • Options
    Contract has been terminated.
  • Options
    Good luck to him. Hope he does well. Bloke needs a cuddle and rocket up his arse at times but personally think he was ' on his day' our best striker . As often or as little as we may have seen that, i think he just needed a run of starting games alongside someone . Not on his own, but with someone who would compliment him, Igor for example .
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited August 2017

It wouldn't be a transfer if this was the case would it?
  • Options
    He is exceptional with the ball at his feet, but never scored enough goals.
    Best move for both him and the club, both parties can now move forward.
  • Options
    Given that Leuven are Belgian 2nd Division (the equivalent of our League Two/National League at best) this is curious and I'm inclined to think there are only 2 possible explanations here:

(1) Watt has lost interest in football generally (a la Stan Collymore) and is happy to coast at an undemanding level in exchange for a bit of cash, or

(2) He - and his agent - see this as a possible entrance into the Premiership via a loan deal with Leicester City after TW has rebooted his credibility against easy opposition

Weird stuff.

Still: the way is now open for Robinson to use the slack in the wage bill to bring in someone who will run around a bit and score some goals
  • Options

but no mention of a fee.

I really hope this wasn't the case. I doubt we received a fee, but letting him go for free would be enough without paying him to go.
    but he's not going to go somewhere paying him less wages pw unless we sweeten the deal for him by making up the difference of that year left

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    total waste of space

he'll never do anything in the game apart from drift along
  • Options

total waste of space

whilst making a shed load of dosh
  • Options

total waste of space

Agree. Personally don't see him playing professional football in 5 years.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Wasn't a transfer was it. No fee involved and the line is that "he has moved on"
  • Options

but no mention of a fee.

but he's not going to go somewhere paying him less wages pw unless we sweeten the deal for him by making up the difference of that year left

we let him go for free = bigger signing on fee.

whats the tax like in Belgium? could play a factor in it if he will actually see more of his wages/signing on fee
  • Options

WSS said:

Wasn't a transfer was it. No fee involved and the line is that "he has moved on"
    not what the OS says -

'The club can confirm that Tony Watt has joined Belgian second division side Oud-Heverlee Leuven on a permanent transfer'

• Options

WSS said:

not what the OS says -

'The club can confirm that Tony Watt has joined Belgian second division side Oud-Heverlee Leuven on a permanent transfer'

Could be, Leuven have paid up the rest of his contract and no fee.
  • Options

The club wanted to do it 10 days ago but decided against it because of the injury to Josh as well as after his dressing room antics in after the Rovers game and what happened the players were unhappy with him and told him as much.

And what antics were these?
    Not the best with another player after his poor pass against Bristol Rovers.
    Don't be such a tease WIWLB. What happened?
    tum tum te tum..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Of course I have no real insight, but for a player that perennially struggles to settle in new surroundings, Belgium would seem like an odd choice.

Superficially (from social media) it seemed like Watt spent quite a lot of time alone in his flat looking a bit bored and lonely, and Robinson said as much about him when they were staying in the same hotel. If Tony couldn't settle in London, Cardiff, Blackburn or Edinburgh - you'd think Belgium might be a stretch, particularly when he's had one pretty unhappy stint there already.

I guess it's conceivable that the detachment my actually help - lack of distractions etc - I can't really see it. You'd have to say this was probably Watt's last roll of the dice.
  • Options

Of course I have no real insight, but for a player that perennially struggles to settle in new surroundings, Belgium would seem like an odd choice.

Superficially (from social media) it seemed like Watt spent quite a lot of time alone in his flat looking a bit bored and lonely, and Robinson said as much about him when they were staying in the same hotel. If Tony couldn't settle in London, Cardiff, Blackburn or Edinburgh - you'd think Belgium might be a stretch, particularly when he's had one pretty unhappy stint there already.

I guess it's conceivable that the detachment my actually help - lack of distractions etc - I can't really see it. You'd have to say this was probably Watt's last roll of the dice.

My wells of sympathy have pretty much run dry for Watt.

He needs to get his head down and focus on football, not trying to be a funny guy on Twitter or producing the worst film reviews ever known to man. Whether in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh or Belgium he should be able to settle if he's just focused on his game - this is almost certainly his very last chance and he has to take it.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    http://www.ohl.be/nl/heren/nieuws/bericht/10177/schotse-cultvoetballer-tekent-bij-ohl

Something about this picture doesn't look right, looks like the other blokes head has been stretched. Also doing some google translation, he's still living off his Celtic days!

TW.PNG 652.6K
  • Options

WSS said:

not what the OS says -

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-celtic-striker-tony-watt-10985340

As it states "Allowed to leave the club" in other words, see you later.
  • Options

total waste of space

Agree. Personally don't see him playing professional football in 5 years.
    Being very generous there. There's a danger he'll be looking for something else to do long before that.
  • Options
    IT_Andy said:

http://www.ohl.be/nl/heren/nieuws/bericht/10177/schotse-cultvoetballer-tekent-bij-ohl

Something about this picture doesn't look right, looks like the other blokes head has been stretched. Also doing some google translation, he's still living off his Celtic days!

"Scottish cult footballer", lol.
  • Options
    Who knows where he or any other player will be in five years time?

If I had to guess I'd say he'll still be playing football somewhere in Belguim at a decent level.

I can see the all reasons for moving him (high wages, doesn't fit formation, not a team player) on but can't see why all the bile is being aimed at him, some of which is most likely from people who chanted his name v Bristol Rovers.

He was bought for big money by the network, didn't work at Standard so moved on to us and we've been trying to move him almost ever since.

Yet again his name was listed over the summer as another reason why we had a strong squad.
  • Options

Who knows where he or any other player will be in five years time?

If I had to guess I'd say he'll still be playing football somewhere in Belguim at a decent level.

I can see the all reasons for moving him (high wages, doesn't fit formation, not a team player) on but can't see why all the bile is being aimed at him, some of which is most likely from people who chanted his name v Bristol Rovers.

He was bought for big money by the network, didn't work at Standard so moved on to us and we've been trying to move him almost ever since.

Yet again his name was listed over the summer as another reason why we had a strong squad.

I suspect it's frustration and jealousy. For him to have so much talent and be paid so much money and fail to appreciate it and/or try as hard as so many of us would do must stick in the throats of many of our fans.

It feels the same as Ravel Morrison. I could never understand how he could, effectively, throw away a career that I would have loved to have been able to have. I would have been the fittest, most dedicated footballer imaginable if I'd been able to play for a loving - never mind the wealth or adulation that comes with it.

I accept that, probably, the clubs have to take some responsibility as many of these young boys don't get the kind of education that I have benefitted from, and maybe needed more 'help' to mature and respect the opportunity they have. However, when I think of all the people I've met over the years that have contributed so much to other people's lives for so much less (Teachers, Nurses, Doctors, Social Workers and more) I struggle to have much sympathy for these young men that seem to have the world at their feet yet take it for granted and pi$$ away a career that so many people would sweat blood for.

It also seems unfair that so many footballers can fail, massively, to deliver yet be rewarded with another lucrative contract. Tony could have been a superstar for us (or half the other teams he's been with) and maybe, just maybe, he needs to end up collecting glasses at a Pub to appreciate it.
  • Options
    Feel sorry for glass collectors, getting slaughtered on this thread.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Feel sorry for glass collectors, getting slaughtered on this thread.

I know you're joking and it's not a bad job for someone that wants a few quid working in a bar, which I did, on and off, for many years, but compared to a millionaire footballer, that scored against Barcelona, didn't you know, it's a bit of a come down.