Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vote for Your Top Five All Time Favourite Music Albums

Comments

• Options

Oakster said:

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
    Songs from Northern Britain
    Drop Out
    Another Summer of Love (released this year & simply brilliant)
    Liege & Lief

Just 5 off the top of my head - if i gave it more thought i could probably name a different 5

Who is Drop Out by?
    East Village - an amazing album totally off the radar but I love it. The Kelly brothers went on to play in St Etienne, set up Heavenly Records and one of them is now married to Sarah Cracknell!!
  • Options

None of you oldies went for Argus, one of the best guitar albums ever. No fellow Wishbone Ash fans on here?

Argus is superb, my fav track is 'throw down the sword' . There on a uk tour later this year.
  • Options
    As others have said - so hard to choose.
    Favorites change with my moods.
    Bit of nostalgia from me.

1 - Rolling Stones first album.- Route 66 - King Bee etc. the first L.P. I ever purchased.
    2 - Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix.
    3 - Tapestry - Carol King. - "Its to late baby" the saddest song ever written.
    4 - Kind of Blue - Miles Davis. - First track "So What" brilliant.
    5 - Rumours - Fleetwood Mack.
    Currently listening to "The Wall" Pink Floyd.
    Thanks to CostaFortune for reminding me of King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King" - Brilliant.
  • Options
    PWR

The Stone Roses
    The Stone Roses again
    Oasis
    Oasis again
    The Stone Roses yeeeeah
  • Options

As others have said - so hard to choose.
    Favorites change with my moods.
    Bit of nostalgia from me.

1 - Rolling Stones first album.- Route 66 - King Bee etc. the first L.P. I ever purchased.
    2 - Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix.
    3 - Tapestry - Carol King. - "Its to late baby" the saddest song ever written.
    4 - Kind of Blue - Miles Davis. - First track "So What" brilliant.
    5 - Rumours - Fleetwood Mack.
    Currently listening to "The Wall" Pink Floyd.
    Thanks to CostaFortune for reminding me of King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King" - Brilliant.

I'll second that about King Crimson - probably the best debut album ever (ahead of Piper for me).

At 44 minutes long it's the perfect album for my drive to work and I very often play it in the car. Fripp is one mean guitar player.

Saw them live at the Hammersmith Palais in 1982 and my hearing hasn't been the same since!!
  • Options

None of you oldies went for Argus, one of the best guitar albums ever. No fellow Wishbone Ash fans on here?

Argus is superb, my fav track is 'throw down the sword' . There on a uk tour later this year.
    Was in my bubbling under list, and I do think it ages well.

Think I read that there are - or have been - two rival versions of the band touring under that name in recent years.

Nice to see you give Argent a mention too, Chips.
  • Options
    High Infidelity - REO Speedwagon
    Cosmo`s Factory - Creedance Clearwater Revival
    Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
    Dancing with strangers - Chris Rea
    Long road out of Eden -Eagles
  • Options
    OK here's a real answer (very similar to the answer I gave when we did this in January 2015)

Cardiacs - Sing To God
    Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
    The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
    Jute Gyte - Perdurance
    Julian Cope - Fried
  • Options
    well live and die in these towns - the enemy
    the stone roses - the stone roses
    joshua tree - u2
    rumours - fleetwood mac
    whats the story - oasis
  • Options
    Mansun - Six
    Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Joni Mitchell - Blue
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    Mr. Bungle - Mr. Bungle

Other albums I love include:
    Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World
    The Cribs - Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever
    The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium
    Bombay Bicycle Club - I Had The Blues But I Shook Them Loose
    Biffy Clyro - Infinity Land
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Having been reminded of some quality music by many posters on this thread, I think that I could struggle to make a top 50, people of the world have really created some great music.
  • Options
    Six would probably be my number...six
  • Options
    Reading these posts you get a good idea of peoples age group. We're all old bastards or just like music from 70's to the 90's.

• Options
    1)Goodbye Yellow Brick Road-Elton john
    2)Never a dull moment (or Everypicture) - Rod Stewart
    3)Sgt Peppers- Beatles
    4)Reunion_Glen Campbell songs of Jimmy Webb
    5)Innervisions-Stevie Wonder.

Very very difficult to leave so many good albums out BOTW by S & G, Whats going on - Marvin Gaye, Songs for swinging lovers - Frank Sinatra, Live at Leeds - The Who, Slade Alive - Slade, Pet Sounds - Beach Boys, Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones, Sun Sessions- Elvis, Live at red rock - U2, Whats the story - Oasis, Thriller- MJ, Lady Soul - Aretha to name a few.
  • Options
    IT_Andy said:

Reading these posts you get a good idea of peoples age group. We're all old bastards or just like music from 70's to the 90's.

Mine has an album from 1971 and one from 2016, with every decade in between represented ;)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

IT_Andy said:

Mine has an album from 1971 and one from 2016, with every decade in between represented ;)
    You'll learn, with age comes wisdom....er...apparently.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Personally I prefer live albums to studio albums, the work tends to be more authentic and contains more soul.
    I agree that 5 is very difficult but after much consideration, and in no particular order.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Live at Montreux 1985 - The greatest live guitar playing ever and of what it represented.
    Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks - just a brilliant album, off its time, and the grandaddy of punk albums.
    Status Quo - Live Glasgow Apollo 1977 - the best live album by any rock band, by a country mile.
    The Stones - Exile on Main Street - The best album by the greatest rock n roll band ever, the album equivalent of The Shawshank Redemption.
    Eric Clapton - EC was Here - again another live album, but just listen to it, EC is a bit off his nut, but shitting hell its top draw ;o)

Agree re SRV.
  • Options
    3blokes said:

Abbey Road
    Katy Lied
    Hendrix in the West
    Matching Mole
    Hunky Dory

I almost included that one but thought it might break the rule about compilations. Great album tho.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Greenie said:

Personally I prefer live albums to studio albums, the work tends to be more authentic and contains more soul.
    I agree that 5 is very difficult but after much consideration, and in no particular order.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Live at Montreux 1985 - The greatest live guitar playing ever and of what it represented.
    Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks - just a brilliant album, off its time, and the grandaddy of punk albums.
    Status Quo - Live Glasgow Apollo 1977 - the best live album by any rock band, by a country mile.
    The Stones - Exile on Main Street - The best album by the greatest rock n roll band ever, the album equivalent of The Shawshank Redemption.
    Eric Clapton - EC was Here - again another live album, but just listen to it, EC is a bit off his nut, but shitting hell its top draw ;o)

Agree re SRV.
    Cheers, in 1982 he was booed when he played there, but came back in 1985 and..well...you know. Thats why IMHO its a great representation of an artist being understood and excepted I guess.
  • Options

Was in my bubbling under list, and I do think it ages well.

Think I read that there are - or have been - two rival versions of the band touring under that name in recent years.

Nice to see you give Argent a mention too, Chips.
    Yes tthere is two versions i think it's andy turner who holds the wishbone name. Saw them 18 months ago they were brilliant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IT_Andy said:

I've chosen one from 1968, one from 1971 and the rest post 2000 - there's good music throughout the decades.
  • Options
    1. Blue Joni Mitchell
    2. The night fly Donald Fagen
    3. Songs in the key of life Stevie Wonder
    4. Aja Steely Dan
    5. Frank wild years Tom Waits
  • Options
    Blood on the Tracks
    Stone Roses
    Inflammable Material
    Never Mind the Bollocks
    Stardust soundtrack
  • Options

1)Goodbye Yellow Brick Road-Elton john
    2)Never a dull moment (or Everypicture) - Rod Stewart
    3)Sgt Peppers- Beatles
    4)Reunion_Glen Campbell songs of Jimmy Webb
    5)Innervisions-Stevie Wonder.

Very very difficult to leave so many good albums out BOTW by S & G, Whats going on - Marvin Gaye, Songs for swinging lovers - Frank Sinatra, Live at Leeds - The Who, Slade Alive - Slade, Pet Sounds - Beach Boys, Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones, Sun Sessions- Elvis, Live at red rock - U2, Whats the story - Oasis, Thriller- MJ, Lady Soul - Aretha to name a few.

Don't shoot me... and Goodbye... are Elton and Bernie at the height of their powers. If the choice was for two great albums by the same act, they'd be near the top of my list.
  • Options
    Both great albums but being greedy with Yellow Brick Road being a double get more for your money plus it has sweet painted lady one of their best on it.
  • Options
    Should have put

Ra by Todd Rundgrens utopia... Theres a track on it called 'Singring and the glass guitsr' classic about 16 mins long.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Kaya
    The specials
    Urban hymns
    Smash
    Up the bracket
  • Options
    Good evening, music lovers, as the peerless Alan Freeman used to say on his old GLR rock show.

Just a side thought, but as so many of us were clearly reared on 'progressive rock' you might like to check out a show which starts soon on Radio Caroline, which is on the web. A guy called Tim Charles, 9 till midnight on Thursdays. It's got prog rock roots, mixture of stuff on some people's lists here and new stuff from people I never heard of, but made me go out and buy. He's not the most compelling presenter but its a really cosy, unglossy programme and he is a Thurrock boy, and a Hamster so the whole thing has the feel of something from our neck of the woods.
  • Options
    Not easy

Low - Bowie
    Bone machine - tom waits
    Real Life - Magazine
    Inside Out - John Martyn
    From a Compound Eye - Robert Pollard

• Options
    Violator - Depeche Mode
    Stone Roses - Stone Roses
    Ok Computer - Radiohead
    London Calling - Clash
    Nevermind - Nirvana

This list could change tomorrow!....so many classics out there it's almost impossible to choose :-)