Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vote for Your Top Five All Time Favourite Music Albums

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like I ought to give Joni Mitchell a listen. I only know one of her songs. Is the album Blue really that good, or is it very much a time and a place thing... Like I suppose the first two Oasis albums or the Stone Roses possibly are? I guess its hard to separate
  • Options
    I'm going to be compiling the results for the knock out phase shortly. Will probably give it till midnight.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    McBobbin said:

Sounds like I ought to give Joni Mitchell a listen. I only know one of her songs. Is the album Blue really that good, or is it very much a time and a place thing... Like I suppose the first two Oasis albums or the Stone Roses possibly are? I guess its hard to separate

I'd argue The Stone Roses and Oasis come to that are probable more than just a time thing. I certainly have seen many people signing along at recent Stone Roses gigs who weren't even alive first time around.

I'm rethinking mine as well daily, should I have included one of The Sundays Albums.......
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

McBobbin said:

I'd argue The Stone Roses and Oasis come to that are probable more than just a time thing. I certainly have seen many people signing along at recent Stone Roses gigs who weren't even alive first time around.

I'm rethinking mine as well daily, should I have included one of The Sundays Albums.......
    Yeah, they are all considered to be great albums... I was too young for Stone Roses the first time, but love them now... I was more Britpop era, but not too many of those albums have stood the test of time. Saying that, I was listening to All Change by Cast yesterday, and it brought back loads of great memories. This is the ultimate second hand shop album, along with Kula Shakers K :)

Having said all that, I don't know many my age (37) who would put Joni Mitchell in their top 5.
  • Options
    ^ill add to that my parents aren't into her, hence why I picked beach boys, and could have picked Beatles, Stones, Animals, Hollies, Zombies... I got into Hendrix and Dylan under my own steam!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

McBobbin said:

Couldn't agree more, the Stone Roses work in any era.
  • Options
    This is impossible so I'll just go off the cuff and then think of hundreds of others.
    Lowlife - New Order
    Levelling the Land - The Levellers
    Music for the Masses - Depeche Mode
    Achtung Baby - U2
    The Hurting - Tears For Fears.

Then quick shouts to 0898 Beautiful South, 101 Damnations Carter USM, Disintegration The Cure, Everyone's Got One Echobelly, A Maximum High Shed Seven, The Holy Bible or Generation Terrorists, Manics.

Oh and Rock Spectacle, Barenaked Ladies.
  • Options

This is impossible so I'll just go off the cuff and then think of hundreds of others.
    Lowlife - New Order
    Levelling the Land - The Levellers
    Music for the Masses - Depeche Mode
    Achtung Baby - U2
    The Hurting - Tears For Fears.

Then quick shouts to 0898 Beautiful South, 101 Damnations Carter USM, Disintegration The Cure, Everyone's Got One Echobelly, A Maximum High Shed Seven, The Holy Bible or Generation Terrorists, Manics.

Oh and Rock Spectacle, Barenaked Ladies.

Missed Carter USM on my list, could have picked a couple of their albums.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Rob7Lee said:

McBobbin said:

That was my top album. The rest I had to think about.
  • Options
    No particular order.

The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
    Rush - A Farewell to Kings
    Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:

stonemuse said:

Rob7Lee said:

McBobbin said:

Same here, it was the only easy choice.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

McBobbin said:

stonemuse said:

Rob7Lee said:

McBobbin said:

Indeed, as can be seen by my Avatar...... ^
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

stonemuse said:

McBobbin said:

stonemuse said:

Rob7Lee said:

McBobbin said:

Oh yeah. From my mobile I always assumed that was Dwayne Dibley
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Albums. Now thats a word going out of fashion. Takes me back to when going to buy an album was a big event because of the cost. The excitement of walking home with it tucked under the arm. Those were the days so I make my selection from way back when.
    Piper at the Gates of Dawn- Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin 2 - Led Zeppelin
    Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Arthur Brown
    In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson.
    Then Play On - Fleetwood Mac

Yep. Remember you spinning some of them on your folks' stereogram. Deep Purple in Rock didnt make the cut, then ? :-)

Ah, 'sweet child in time', such a good track. So many got close, Wheels of Fire - cream, Aqualung - Jethro Tull, Fill your head with Rock - various, Nice by Nice, Tea for the Tillerman - Cat Stevens, Very Heavy, Very Humble - Uriah Heap.

Did Yes and Creedence Clearwater get onto yours?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

stonemuse said:

McBobbin said:

stonemuse said:

Rob7Lee said:

McBobbin said:

Ditto, see my avatar. Reni rules. :wink:
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Sounds like I ought to give Joni Mitchell a listen.

Only if you want to contribute to the Euthanasia thread.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    McBobbin said:

Rob7Lee said:

stonemuse said:

McBobbin said:

stonemuse said:

Rob7Lee said:

McBobbin said:

Oh yeah. From my mobile I always assumed that was Dwayne Dibley
    It is.

"Dwayne Squire"
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Albums. Now thats a word going out of fashion. Takes me back to when going to buy an album was a big event because of the cost. The excitement of walking home with it tucked under the arm. Those were the days so I make my selection from way back when.

Yep. Remember you spinning some of them on your folks' stereogram. Deep Purple in Rock didnt make the cut, then ? :-)

Ah, 'sweet child in time', such a good track. So many got close, Wheels of Fire - cream, Aqualung - Jethro Tull, Fill your head with Rock - various, Nice by Nice, Tea for the Tillerman - Cat Stevens, Very Heavy, Very Humble - Uriah Heap.

:-)

certainly considered "Fragile". Still got my vinyl of that. Creedence, the magic has gone for me, although I still play Born on the Bayou.

A bunch of old pensioners claiming to be Uriah Heep are 'headlining" a concert in Kladno, Prague's answer to Luton, sometime soon. I did think of going along out of curiosity, but think I'll swerve it.

• Options

Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

:-)

certainly considered "Fragile". Still got my vinyl of that. Creedence, the magic has gone for me, although I still play Born on the Bayou.

A bunch of old pensioners claiming to be Uriah Heep are 'headlining" a concert in Kladno, Prague's answer to Luton, sometime soon. I did think of going along out of curiosity, but think I'll swerve it.

Very wise. They must be all deaf by now so god knows how loud it will be!
  • Options
    Siamese dream:Smashing pumpkins
    Ten:Pearl Jam
    Exile on main street:Rolling Stones
    Appetite for Destruction:Guns n Roses
    Fear of the black planet:public Enemy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Genesis Foxtrot
    Wishbone Ash Argus
    Santana Abraxas
    Yes Yes Album
    Man Be good to yourself at least once a day

Stuck in a time warp me

• Options

Stuck in a time warp me

Never a truer word

• Options
    Low - Bowie
    African Dub Chapter 3 - Joe Gibbs and the Professionals
    Talking Book - Stevie Wonder
    Heart of The Congos - The Congos
    Velvet Underground & Nico - Velvet Underground & Nico

But this could be five different albums next week.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Low - Bowie
    African Dub Chapter 3 - Joe Gibbs and the Professionals
    Talking Book - Stevie Wonder
    Heart of The Congos - The Congos
    Velvet Underground & Nico - Velvet Underground & Nico

But this could be five different albums next week.

heart of the Congos is a great album
  • Options
    Thanks for voting. It so happens that we have sixteen albums with more than two votes. That's probably perfect. The 1v1s will be presented one by one, the first one will be in the next few days.

I'll post YouTube links to albums during the next phase as and when they come up if anyone wants to listen before casting a vote. I'm really looking forward to listening to some new music as I've only listened to six of the remaining sixteen.
  • Options
    I started to do this, decided that there were two absolute musts

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan

Then is started going through the 1000+ albums on the phone, thought these two may be in there

Highway to Hell - AC/DC
    Transgender Dysphoria Blues - Against Me

Then I realized this was impossible.

But to all those who put Never Mind the Bollocks in there I say, listen to it again. When it turns up on random play, I'm always amazed at how pedestrian and plodding it sounds. I remember when this was the end of western civilization. Important album, absolutely, but musically, not so much.
  • Options

I started to do this, decided that there were two absolute musts

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan

Then is started going through the 1000+ albums on the phone, thought these two may be in there

Highway to Hell - AC/DC
    Transgender Dysphoria Blues - Against Me

Then I realized this was impossible.

But to all those who put Never Mind the Bollocks in there I say, listen to it again. When it turns up on random play, I'm always amazed at how pedestrian and plodding it sounds. I remember when this was the end of western civilization. Important album, absolutely, but musically, not so much.

Such a brilliant band and album, but I placed White Crosses in my top 5, could have been your choice too to be honest.
  • Options
    Beggars Banquet-Stones
    Layla -Derek and the Dominoes
    Full House -Fairport Convention
    Salisbury -Uriah Heep
    The Wall -Pink Floyd
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Oh my beautiful Joni - yes you should and yes Blue is that good.

I know I'm in a minority on here but I really don't get the hero worship the Stone Roses get - yes a decent album that I enjoy listening to but they are hugely over-hyped for me. Certainly not the best of the Madchester lot.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @SomervilleAddick The Sex Pistols were really a singles band. NMTB was really a padded singles collection.
    GSTQ is in my top five singles (don't start!)

And anyone who doesn't know the album, and (@Redrobo) I gathered most of the tracks here on a Spotify playlist:
    Fill Your Head With Rock - an album from my Bromley era: https://open.spotify.com/user/jdmotion/playlist/7w6Qf3T1Xh4WsHbuXwP8lf