Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vote for Your Top Five All Time Favourite Music Albums

Comments

• Options
    Part 2

Talking Book -Stevie Wonder
    Sweet Baby James- James Taylor
    Karma To Burn - The Waterboys
    Sounds Of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
    Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy - The Who
  • Options
    Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette
    Violator - Depeche Mode
    Dare - Human League
    Faith - George Michael
    The Joshua Tree - U2
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Violator - Depeche Mode
    Dare - Human League
    Faith - George Michael
    The Joshua Tree - U2

That's an interesting one. Certainly one I considered. At the time, liking it felt a little like dumbing down. But unlike Duran Duran's Rio, (which many people at the time went for, also risking opprobrium) it does have an enduring quality. I went back to it after a local DJ whacked "Seconds" into a show that was otherwise modern dance stuff, and I was rivetted.

• Options

Violator - Depeche Mode
    Dare - Human League
    Faith - George Michael
    The Joshua Tree - U2

80's madness!
  • Options
    Really surprised how few nomination there were for Revolver which has often topped best album lists. Wouldn't that be a better album than Dare or Violator, or anything by U2? Only askin'.
  • Options
    How dare we all leave Revolver off our lists in favour of objectively inferior albums!
  • Options
    This is about favourite, not a debate about best.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

How dare we all leave Revolver off our lists in favour of objectively inferior albums!

What is this Revolver we speak of? Shorthand for Slash's spinoff band?

• Options
    As I said, only askin'.
    I didn't pick Revolver, although it's probably a more 'important' album than most on my list. But as you say it's about favourites. It'd make my top 10 faves list for sure.

Shouldn't we compile a Top 5 'Best Album' list!?

Cancel that.....
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Really surprised how few nomination there were for Revolver which has often topped best album lists. Wouldn't that be a better album than Dare or Violator, or anything by U2? Only askin'.

Best Beatles LP. Would be in my top 20
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

@SomervilleAddick The Sex Pistols were really a singles band. NMTB was really a padded singles collection.
    GSTQ is in my top five singles (don't start!)

And anyone who doesn't know the album, and (@Redrobo) I gathered most of the tracks here on a Spotify playlist:
    Fill Your Head With Rock - an album from my Bromley era: https://open.spotify.com/user/jdmotion/playlist/7w6Qf3T1Xh4WsHbuXwP8lf

Thanks James. Have not heard this album in years. Long lost - on now!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

McBobbin said:

Sounds like I ought to give Joni Mitchell a listen. I only know one of her songs. Is the album Blue really that good, or is it very much a time and a place thing... Like I suppose the first two Oasis albums or the Stone Roses possibly are? I guess its hard to separate

I'd argue The Stone Roses and Oasis come to that are probable more than just a time thing. I certainly have seen many people signing along at recent Stone Roses gigs who weren't even alive first time around.

I'm rethinking mine as well daily, should I have included one of The Sundays Albums.......
    Similarly when I saw Oasis at Benicassim.
  • Options

This is impossible so I'll just go off the cuff and then think of hundreds of others.
    Lowlife - New Order
    Levelling the Land - The Levellers
    Music for the Masses - Depeche Mode
    Achtung Baby - U2
    The Hurting - Tears For Fears.

Then quick shouts to 0898 Beautiful South, 101 Damnations Carter USM, Disintegration The Cure, Everyone's Got One Echobelly, A Maximum High Shed Seven, The Holy Bible or Generation Terrorists, Manics.

Oh and Rock Spectacle, Barenaked Ladies.

There's always one who'll drag a CL thread in to the gutter.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    McBobbin said:

stonemuse said:

Rob7Lee said:

McBobbin said:

Sounds like I ought to give Joni Mitchell a listen. I only know one of her songs. Is the album Blue really that good, or is it very much a time and a place thing... Like I suppose the first two Oasis albums or the Stone Roses possibly are? I guess its hard to separate

I'd argue The Stone Roses and Oasis come to that are probable more than just a time thing. I certainly have seen many people signing along at recent Stone Roses gigs who weren't even alive first time around.

I'm rethinking mine as well daily, should I have included one of The Sundays Albums.......
    Couldn't agree more, the Stone Roses work in any era.
    That was my top album. The rest I had to think about.
    One of four easy choices for me, but it is a truly exceptional piece of work with only one slightly weak track.
  • Options
    For me, top 5 albums I love but not enough people have listened to...

1. The Modern Lovers (Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers)

2. VU and Nico (The Velvet Underground)

3. Let It Be (The Replacements)

4. Candy Apple Grey (Husker Du)

5. The Blue Mask (Lou Reed)
  • Options

I started to do this, decided that there were two absolute musts

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan

Then is started going through the 1000+ albums on the phone, thought these two may be in there

Highway to Hell - AC/DC
    Transgender Dysphoria Blues - Against Me

Then I realized this was impossible.

But to all those who put Never Mind the Bollocks in there I say, listen to it again. When it turns up on random play, I'm always amazed at how pedestrian and plodding it sounds. I remember when this was the end of western civilization. Important album, absolutely, but musically, not so much.

Never Mind the Bollocks was never really about how good the music was musically. I'd happily concede to there being only two or three great tracks on it, but it's in my top five for what it meant to me at the time and how it helped me formulate my outlook on life. As Rolling Stone journalist Charles M. Young put it, "Never Mind the Bollocks changed everything. There had never been anything like it before and really there's never been anything quite like it since. The closest was probably Nirvana, a band very heavily influenced by the Sex Pistols".

Similarly the Stardust soundtrack is there because it introduced me to a whole lot of music and bands, like White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane, I'd missed growing up.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I first heard it in 2003 when I was 17, so it's not a time and place thing for me. I reckon it's not an album for everyone, but I heard the first track and was captivated.
  • Options
    White Rabbit, great choice sir.
  • Options
    The first Mark Almond album. Beautiful jazzy relaxed music.
    Hawkwind by Hawkwind.
    The Doors by The Doors.
    Surfs up by The Beachboys.
    The White Album by the Beatles.

Tomorrow would probably be quite different.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Hawkwind by Hawkwind.
    The Doors by The Doors.

I used to visit a friend in Blackheath in the middle '70s and he'd play me the two best Doors albums, Pearl by Janis, and First Base by Babe Ruth. Three great albums that don't quite make my top five and the last one has a few brilliant tracks but overall lacks something.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

Hawkwind by Hawkwind.
    The Doors by The Doors.

Have every album that Hawkwind ever released. My favourite is probably In Search of Space. Seem them a few times since the 70's.

But as much as I love them, they didn't make my top five.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

JamesSeed said:

@SomervilleAddick The Sex Pistols were really a singles band. NMTB was really a padded singles collection.
    GSTQ is in my top five singles (don't start!)

And anyone who doesn't know the album, and (@Redrobo) I gathered most of the tracks here on a Spotify playlist:
    Fill Your Head With Rock - an album from my Bromley era: https://open.spotify.com/user/jdmotion/playlist/7w6Qf3T1Xh4WsHbuXwP8lf

Thanks James. Have not heard this album in years. Long lost - on now!
    It's actually aged really well, or most of the tracks have. There are some real gems there.
  • Options

Then is started going through the 1000+ albums on the phone, thought these two may be in there

Highway to Hell - AC/DC

But to all those who put Never Mind the Bollocks in there I say, listen to it again. When it turns up on random play, I'm always amazed at how pedestrian and plodding it sounds. I remember when this was the end of western civilization. Important album, absolutely, but musically, not so much.

Never Mind the Bollocks was never really about how good the music was musically. I'd happily concede to there being only two or three great tracks on it, but it's in my top five for what it meant to me at the time and how it helped me formulate my outlook on life. As Rolling Stone journalist Charles M. Young put it, "Never Mind the Bollocks changed everything. There had never been anything like it before and really there's never been anything quite like it since. The closest was probably Nirvana, a band very heavily influenced by the Sex Pistols".

Similarly the Stardust soundtrack is there because it introduced me to a whole lot of music and bands, like White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane, I'd missed growing up.

Highway to Hell - AC/DC

Bollocks! By the time NMTB came out punk was almost all over. The first two, possibly three Pistols singles were waht it was all about. If anything changed everything, they did.
  • Options
    Having just listened to Love's Forever Changes I am going to have to sacrifice an earlier choice in favour of it............
  • Options
    The Sex Pistols were not as revolutionary as some people think.
    They were influenced by the anarchic attitude of a semi Hippy band called the Pink Fairies (you too can play the guitar) who themselves were heavily influenced by the Velvet Underground.
    The first Sex Pistols single which was banned possibly, and let to their record company (A&M?) dumping them after the Bill Grundy incident, was engineered and produced by Dave 'boss' Goodman who was the Pink Fairies roadie/sound engineer.
    The Sex Pistols were iconic but not original, as the notion of a punk and an anarchic musical attitude was already out there.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

The Sex Pistols were not as revolutionary as some people think.
    They were influenced by the anarchic attitude of a semi Hippy band called the Pink Fairies (you too can play the guitar) who themselves were heavily influenced by the Velvet Underground.
    The first Sex Pistols single which was banned possibly, and let to their record company (A&M?) dumping them after the Bill Grundy incident, was engineered and produced by Dave 'boss' Goodman who was the Pink Fairies roadie/sound engineer.
    The Sex Pistols were iconic but not original, as the notion of a punk and an anarchic musical attitude was already out there.

Don't agree Plummy. What set them apart from anarcho/hippy types was the lyrics. It was hugely exciting to hear Anarchy In The UK for the first time. There had literally been nothing like it before, at least in the charts and in public view.
    Anger was an energy that druggy band the Fairies and the Velvets (one of my favourite all time bands) never had. The latters fascination with downer drugs and junkie culture was rejected by early punk who had no time for the laid back hippy, stoner mentality (use of speed not withstanding - different music, different drugs). Of course Nancy Spungen and her pals messed that up when they introduced the likes of Viscious to heroin.
    The Pistols and the Clash spoke directly to young people about unemployment, deprivation and other political issues.
    Musically, the Ramones were a big influence of course. As were many other bands. But that's not really point. It was the attitude and lyrics that set punk apart.
    People like Goodman were around and played a small part - engineers/producers can improve the sound but have no other role to play in terms of influencing the ethos of a band. My mate produced the Clash's first album, and was their on the road sound engineer, but wouldn't claim to have played more than a minor part in the band's evolution.
    So the Pistols were iconic yes.
    Musically original? A bit - (what else sounded like Anarchy before they came along!?)
    Lyrically original. Yes, very. That's why so many self confessed imitators sprung up in their wake.
  • Options
    The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
    The Clash - London Calling
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
    Paul Simon - Graceland
    Jeff Buckley- Grace
  • Options
    Great post @JamesSeed.
    The anger in lyrics were there in bands like the Velvets and the Who and others, and in songs from people like Dylan and in Black Civil Rights related stuff too.
    The pistols re packaged the attitude which has always bubbled under in teenage rebellion.
    I think what we witnessed was not just about lyrical content but about the exclusivity of rock with ace musicians playing 10 minute solos which frankly alienated folk who wanted to reclaim some of the music without having had to go to some kind of Royal Academy and Conservatoire of music.
    The story seems to be about self expression, which certainly continued into rap music subsequently. The story of anger and rebellion expressed through music is always there, even as far back as Jazz and Blues and some Country and Western.
    I have NMTB in my collection, but maybe it is the mellowing of age but I seldom play it now.
  • Options
    Today
    Sufjan Stevens - Come on feel the Illinois
    Sunhouse - Crazy on the Weekend
    John Martyn - Bless the Weather
    Bonnie Prince Billy - Master and Everyone
    Sun Kil Moon- Admiral Fell Promises
  • Options
    @seth plum @JamesSeed

Nice little exchange on the Pistols there. After giving it some thought I am with James. I remember when I first came across the Pistols. I was living in Northampton, ironically, at the time, returned home to my folks and when they went to bed I idly turned on a Granada produced late night rock TV show. This turned out to be their first live TV appearance. I tell you, I sat there, absolutely gobsmacked, and vaguely terrified. I felt like in the 8 months I had been away urban youth must have gone feral, and nobody had told me.

No other new music act has had anything like that effect on me. Nowhere near it.