Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    and by the way, if anyone is interested in any sauerkrout, brohwurst or tulips or clogs, my mates got em half price!
  • Options

In fairness to @MuttleyCAFC I don't think he's done too much wrong. Ok he wears his heart on his sleeve politics wise and can be particularly passionate about Brexit. I think he'd admit to that but it he's also been on the end of some trolling and personal comments recently so not surprising he's got the hump with one or two on here.

As far as I can make out he's outlined that since the vote his printing(?) businesses costs for some materials have doubled, he's tried sourcing them from elsewhere but struggled to find the same quality and therefore has no option but to pay a higher price than he was previously. A higher price that has to be absorbed by his business or passed on to his customers, which is his substantive point isn't it?

What does it matter to anyone else whether those materials are widgets, sprockets or anything else? That's not the point he's making and I'd like to think that we are respectful enough of each other not to question when someone sets out their personal experience and take them on trust.

Okay, the cost of my mates supplies coming in from Germany and Holland have halved since Brexit

; )
    I want to see your "mates" invoices in the MAKRO car park.
    Make it InterMarche and I'm there
    WHAT! You live in France??? Why haven't you mentioned that before?
    Least I ain't got my hometown as my handle
    With your record of name changes I wonder how long it will take though?
  • Options

In fairness to @MuttleyCAFC I don't think he's done too much wrong. Ok he wears his heart on his sleeve politics wise and can be particularly passionate about Brexit. I think he'd admit to that but it he's also been on the end of some trolling and personal comments recently so not surprising he's got the hump with one or two on here.

As far as I can make out he's outlined that since the vote his printing(?) businesses costs for some materials have doubled, he's tried sourcing them from elsewhere but struggled to find the same quality and therefore has no option but to pay a higher price than he was previously. A higher price that has to be absorbed by his business or passed on to his customers, which is his substantive point isn't it?

What does it matter to anyone else whether those materials are widgets, sprockets or anything else? That's not the point he's making and I'd like to think that we are respectful enough of each other not to question when someone sets out their personal experience and take them on trust.

Okay, the cost of my mates supplies coming in from Germany and Holland have halved since Brexit

; )
    I don't think anyone has got @GroveParkAddick - just a thought.
  • Options

Shame you've taken that attitude really @MuttleyCAFC as I am genuinely interested and I suspect many others like me that don't deal in business, import, export etc are too. It would certainly give me a tangible insight into the impact of 'Brexit' which may potentially change my mind on what I see as collective ranting bollocks about the unknown if I could then tie real life examples and then weigh up whether it's a long term impact or a short term currency movement.

If you turned round and said, for example "we import staples from Berlin that 12 months ago we were playing £4.20 a kilo inclusive of transport cost, that price is currently £8 a kilo. We've since re-sourced from Taiwan but at £6 a kilo including transport cost", that's without going into the details of your business a real insight into the impact (in this case the cost of German staples doubling).

Not everything has to be an argument...

not even that much detail, the question was what raw material has doubled in price so all he had to say was "wood/iron" etc
  • Options

; )
    With your record of name changes I wonder how long it will take though?
    : /
  • Options

; )
    My mate wants to know what you think about his procurement costs halving since Brexit
    I'm chuffed for him.
  • Options

; )
    My mate wants to know what you think about his procurement costs halving since Brexit
    How did your mate manage that when sterling has "only" gone down by 15%? And is he hoping for a hard Brexit so that sterling drops further?
  • Options

; )
    How did your mate manage that when sterling has "only" gone down by 15%? And is he hoping for a hard Brexit so that sterling drops further?
    I think you've just got to trust him.
  • Options

; )
    Because his supplier is giving him a 65% discount from the pre-Brexit prices because they value him as a British customer
  • Options
    edited October 2017

; )
    My mate's supplies from Germany and Holland have risen as a result of exchange rate movements since the referendum. He has researched obtaining the same quality supplies from outside the EU in the case of a hard Brexit and the loss of tariff free trade with the EU. No luck so far. Also, the supplies he obtains from Germany and Holland are components of goods he exports to the EU. Those goods will no longer be competitively priced so basically he is fucked! As is the rest of the UK industry. And the government knows this to be the case as it is shown in the 50 or so detailed reports it has conducted across many sectors of the UK economy assessing the impact of Brexit. But for some reason it is refusing to publish those reports. I wonder why?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017

; )
    My mate's supplies from Germany and Holland have risen as a result of exchange rate movements since the referendum. He has researched obtaining the same quality supplies from outside the EU in the case of a hard Brexit and the loss of tariff free trade with the EU. No luck so far. Also, the supplies he obtains from Germany and Holland are components of goods he exports to the EU. Those goods will no longer be competitively priced so basically he is fucked! As is the rest of the UK industry. And the government knows this to be the case as it is shown in the 50 or so detailed reports it has conducted across many sectors of the UK economy assessing the impact of Brexit. But for some reason it is refusing to publish those reports. I wonder why?
    Ask her
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Credit where it's due, JOB is excellent at nailing the bastards who exploit this country. If he winds up thick right-wingers in the orocess, well that's just icing.

Of course given Redwood is very much a right-wing member of the Establishment, the idea that you can't simply change the numbers you dislike for personal gain is probably an alien concept to him.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Credit where it's due, JOB is excellent at nailing the bastards who exploit this country. If he winds up thick right-wingers in the orocess, well that's just icing.

Of course given Redwood is very much a right-wing member of the Establishment, the idea that you can't simply change the numbers you dislike for personal gain is probably an alien concept to him.
    I used to listen to his show a lot but realised he only gets his researchers to allow lame ducks on who he can bully. Fed up with him insulting brexiters and like some on here blaming a rainy day on brexit. He got his job through his family connections and find him the least patriortic of all the lbc presenters. All the others are far more fair and give a better balanced view.

I emailed him last week and asked him why he doesn't get gerald lyons, liam halligan or moggy on his show. Naturally i am still waiting for a response.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

I used to listen to his show a lot but realised he only gets his researchers to allow lame ducks on who he can bully. Fed up with him insulting brexiters and like some on here blaming a rainy day on brexit. He got his job through his family connections and find him the least patriortic of all the lbc presenters. All the others are far more fair and give a better balanced view.

I emailed him last week and asked him why he doesn't get gerald lyons, liam halligan or moggy on his show. Naturally i am still waiting for a response.
    How are you measuring patriotism ?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I think he's pretty patriotic. He stands up for British people, not just for the rich like traitors Farage and Ferrari who pay lip service to Britain.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Fiiish said:

By what i do, the fact that i represent the uk in that and i am proud of my british values. End of story.
  • Options
    It looks like EU leaders are fed up with the deadlock and are pressuring Barnier to begin transition talks.

As the UK is a huge importer of EU goods it is no surprise the other EU countries are getting a bit tetchy that trade could be disrupted if the talks continue as the glacial speed they currently are stuck on.
  • Options
    As I said before - time for the UK to grow some, Tell the EU that they have until Dec 31st to agree terms of divorce bull, citizens rights & Irish border or we walk away. Prepare for No Deal (gives both sides 15 months) and "see you in court". Nothing in Article 50 about settling "debts" so we leave & then let the EU to work out their next move.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

se9addick said:

Fiiish said:

By what i do, the fact that i represent the uk in that and i am proud of my british values. End of story.
    Is freedom of expression one of your British values?

If so then whilst you may disagree with JOB's views and choose not to listen to them, surely you accept his right to air them?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

se9addick said:

Fiiish said:

If so then whilst you may disagree with JOB's views and choose not to listen to them, surely you accept his right to air them?
    Of course as i have the righrt not too.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

se9addick said:

Fiiish said:

Of course as i have the righrt not too.
    Agreed
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Herein lies the problem methinks. Brexit has or should have nothing to do with patriotism.

The patriotism i was talking about with him is not linked to his biased views on brexit, its when i have listened to his other ramblings.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

It looks like EU leaders are fed up with the deadlock and are pressuring Barnier to begin transition talks.

As the UK is a huge importer of EU goods it is no surprise the other EU countries are getting a bit tetchy that trade could be disrupted if the talks continue as the glacial speed they currently are stuck on.

Far for me to disagree, but I don't think it is a case of getting fed up with deadlock.

Michel Barnier said that there was a chance that sufficient progress on the three key exit criteria might be possible by Christmas or so this year.

It is logical, therefore, that, in preparation for the potential next step in the negotiation process, the EU Council determine what they wish him to negotiate for regarding the future relationship.

This is the sort of thing that would have been happening in August if there had been more movement on the talks than there has been.

And, all that will be possible to negotiate, within the 8 months or so that will be available prior to the process of ratification, will be an outline of the future relationship, and how that impacts on the manner of the UK's departure from the EU. It's all about getting sufficient clarity between to two parties to allow for a transitional deal (because there will be some agreement about what the relationship will be transitioning to).

The UK has stated that, if any trading relationship is to be agreed by treaty, it wishes for a bespoke deal and not to piggyback on to an existing arrangement. This will mean that each economic sector to be covered will have to be negotiated, and papers gone through line by line, which will not happen before March 2019, and would be almost miraculous to see agreed, even provisionally, at the end of any 2 year "transition".

It really isn't all that earth-shattering a move.

We'll probably find it's just that the EU27 were all Boy Scouts.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Liam Halligan, eh? When he bigged up on Twitter that O'Brien should invite him on, I asked him when we punters get a chance to grill him. Especially when he's pushing a book on Brexit. Naturally I am still waiting for a response.

And I have had responses from him in the past. The first time when he made a shameful attack on Bill Browder, the guy who is standing up to Putin, live on R4.

He likes to present himself as a stroppy street-fighter who understands economics but its all mouth. I would quite fancy my chances taking him on, more than against some of the better Brexiteers on here.

Funny thing is, he sometimes takes positions which pleasantly surprise me. He keeps saying that May should have made the gesture right at the start that EU citizens would be able to stay, with rights unchanged. Did you know he says that, Chippy?

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Nigel Lawson is joining the queue of morons attacking the Chancellor for not fiddling the numbers to paint a rosier picture of our economy and the impact Brexit is having.

These Tory fuckwits seem very comfortable with defrauding statisticians. Maybe HMRC should look into their tax returns? Haha oh wait all their friends work there anyway!

Brilliant. So they want to tell us there's no money for public services, but when it comes to justifying their own interests, make it all up regardless.

No wonder the DUP got given a billion pounds for their cooperation. What's different about that compared to a dictator or marxist state giving away the public purse......

Absolutely nothing
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!