Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• A technological solution?
    No detail, nothing new, it won't work in practice and it does not address the movement of people.
    I was looking forward to a possible solution, but however much the ERG say they have it sussed, they haven't.
  • That moment when the Brexiteers collectively realise even we can't believe this shit anymore!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/12/brexit-great-why-boris-johnson-jacob-rees-mogg-peter-bone-sad#img-1
  • I saw this, and found it amusing: https://newstatesman.com/politics/media/2018/09/brits-could-be-turned-away-borders-daily-mail-discovers-no-deal-brexit-bad.

I've not been able to follow the details of the proposals put forward this morning, but I fear that they continue to make some fairly Herculean assumptions about what would be acceptable to the other side in the negotiations (so that equivalence in terms of standards might be a bit difficult to achieve, as espoused in the ERG plan for the border in Ireland, if the ERG economic plan is to be followed), and I note with interest that the way to avoid having a border in the Irish Sea is to have a border in the Irish Sea (in terms of Biosecurity).

And, I'm not sure that the Northern Ireland Police Federation will be any more convinced by the plans announced today than they were yesterday (where they make clear that there will still be infrastructure and individuals who would be potential targets for dissidents, which requires additional resourcing).
  • cabbles said:

As much of a tosser Mogg is, very disappointed to see people harassing and haranguing his children today. Really poor behaviour and he and his family shouldn't be subjected to that

That's about the level of politics these days, really scummy and spiteful. Parliament has had to call in the police to investigate the childishly threatening cards sent to Labour MPs on Momentum's shit-list.
  • So ERG is hanging it’s hat on current and emerging technologies to stop there having to be a hard border between the ROI and NI. They have come to this insane conclusion after months and months of effort into finding a solution that suits everyone. I presume they are not aware that when this idea was first bandied around more than a year ago it was advised that no such technology exists and even if it did it would not be acceptable due to the impossibility of it being adequately policed due to tariffs and the status of “trusted trader” being as plausible as Bojo being a “trusted politician”. A smugglers paradise.

I really wonder how this country has come to the sorry state of having so many low quality politicians interspersed with actual lunatics and chancers.

If the political watchers are to be believed it is when and not if a leadership challenge happens. We could actually end up with Boris Johnson or Jacob Rees-Mogg as Prime Minister.

• I saw this, and found it amusing: https://newstatesman.com/politics/media/2018/09/brits-could-be-turned-away-borders-daily-mail-discovers-no-deal-brexit-bad.

I've not been able to follow the details of the proposals put forward this morning, but I fear that they continue to make some fairly Herculean assumptions about what would be acceptable to the other side in the negotiations (so that equivalence in terms of standards might be a bit difficult to achieve, as espoused in the ERG plan for the border in Ireland, if the ERG economic plan is to be followed), and I note with interest that the way to avoid having a border in the Irish Sea is to have a border in the Irish Sea (in terms of Biosecurity).

And, I'm not sure that the Northern Ireland Police Federation will be any more convinced by the plans announced today than they were yesterday (where they make clear that there will still be infrastructure and individuals who would be potential targets for dissidents, which requires additional resourcing).

This is my favourite line;

“‘No deal’ Brexit could leave UK holidaymakers treated like those outside EU”, the paper reports in horror.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we all agree that there is no solution to the Irish Border problem.......apart from either building a wall along the entire length of it (not practical, very time consumung & obviously not welcomed by either side) or NI joining the ROI and staying in the EU (which again wont happen).

Therefore.....would you all agree that the UK has been stiched up over Europe big time. We effectively can never leave the EU (until there is a united Ireland perhaps) or does anyone really have an answer.

and before @Sethplum goes into his usual diatribe of......."you voted for it so its down to you to sort it"..... You would have thought if this was so blindlinly obvious then The Government, The Civil Service, The EU, The Tiosoch.....in fact even Old Tom Cobly should have stopped David Cameron ordering a Referendum on it.

I know people (sorry, remainers) keep telling me that we all knew this before June 23rd 2016.......but did we really ?? I've said before, I was not swayed at all by Boris & his big red bus & watched virtually all the debates, but I do not recall ANYONE pointing this out - especially not that vociferously - and do not recall the Irish border being brought up once.....even by the DUP.

Yes, you can call me stupid but I when I voted I thought the Government must have at least known that what they were offering was actually achievable in real life. They might as well asked if we want to join Australia or the USA for that matter.

I certainly remember the Irish border being brought up frequently, but not in any depth and usually treated with distain. The most common hand wave before the vote was to say there was a common travel area since 1923 so it wasn't an issue, closely followed by a blithe assertion that there would have to be a 'work around'.
    The disregard for Ireland also had a racist 'they're just a bunch of Micks' kind of tinge.
    Maybe it was only a serious concern for folk of my generation who clearly remember the troubles.
    The thing is that the border crystallises so much about brexit, the UK over here, the EU over there, and something in between, and what happens to that in between.
    If brexit voters didn't consider the issue, then indeed they didn't know what they were voting for, but brexit voters insist they did.
  • Thank goodness Jacob Rees-Mogg's children now all know how much we hate him.
  • edited September 2018
    seth plum said:

I think we all agree that there is no solution to the Irish Border problem.......apart from either building a wall along the entire length of it (not practical, very time consumung & obviously not welcomed by either side) or NI joining the ROI and staying in the EU (which again wont happen).

Therefore.....would you all agree that the UK has been stiched up over Europe big time. We effectively can never leave the EU (until there is a united Ireland perhaps) or does anyone really have an answer.

and before @Sethplum goes into his usual diatribe of......."you voted for it so its down to you to sort it"..... You would have thought if this was so blindlinly obvious then The Government, The Civil Service, The EU, The Tiosoch.....in fact even Old Tom Cobly should have stopped David Cameron ordering a Referendum on it.

I know people (sorry, remainers) keep telling me that we all knew this before June 23rd 2016.......but did we really ?? I've said before, I was not swayed at all by Boris & his big red bus & watched virtually all the debates, but I do not recall ANYONE pointing this out - especially not that vociferously - and do not recall the Irish border being brought up once.....even by the DUP.

Yes, you can call me stupid but I when I voted I thought the Government must have at least known that what they were offering was actually achievable in real life. They might as well asked if we want to join Australia or the USA for that matter.

I certainly remember the Irish border being brought up frequently, but not in any depth and usually treated with distain. The most common hand wave before the vote was to say there was a common travel area since 1923 so it wasn't an issue, closely followed by a blithe assertion that there would have to be a 'work around'.
    The disregard for Ireland also had a racist 'they're just a bunch of Micks' kind of tinge.
    Maybe it was only a serious concern for folk of my generation who clearly remember the troubles.
    The thing is that the border crystallises so much about brexit, the UK over here, the EU over there, and something in between, and what happens to that in between.
    If brexit voters didn't consider the issue, then indeed they didn't know what they were voting for, but brexit voters insist they did.
    I recall it being brought up frequently on the Charlton Life referendum thread!!!!
  • ...I know people (sorry, remainers) keep telling me that we all knew this before June 23rd 2016.......but did we really ?? I've said before, I was not swayed at all by Boris & his big red bus & watched virtually all the debates, but I do not recall ANYONE pointing this out - especially not that vociferously - and do not recall the Irish border being brought up once.....even by the DUP.

Whatever you say about Cameron, you can't level at him that he didn't warn about the border problem. Here he is quoted in the Irish Times:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/david-cameron-issues-warning-over-brexit-border-controls-1.2685814

Perhaps Her Majesty's Gutter Press were less inclined to report stories like this. Or perhaps Joe Public in England just shrugged and thought, 'yeah, but that's over there, it won't affect us'.

Where I think you do have a point is that it seems reasonable to expect that the government would only put to the people ideas that are workable. This gave the whole notion of Brexit a false legitimacy. Cameron had already been warned about 'unleashing demons'. Allowing a referendum knowing the huge inherent problems was perhaps the greatest dereliction of duty this country has ever seen.

https://www.ft.com/content/ed6bf5a0-8fb6-11e6-a72e-b428cb934b78
  • Huskaris said:

Thank goodness Jacob Rees-Mogg's children now all know how much we hate him.

What's the connection to Brexit?
  • The biggest joke of all of this, whether leave or remain is the utterly shambolic sideshow we’ve all been treated to highlighting the divisions within the Tory party. For the record I don’t think Labour would be doing much better, but the last year or so, seems like it’s been less about Brexit and a really shit documentary starring a bunch of idiots about the Tory party. Like the Man City documentary on amazon, but without the success and the class
  • Sponsored links:

• Huskaris
    September 12
    ''Thank goodness Jacob Rees-Mogg's children now all know how much we hate him''.

Discusting comment, are you really that thick?
  • Huskaris
    September 12
    ''Thank goodness Jacob Rees-Mogg's children now all know how much we hate him''.

Discusting comment, are you really that thick?

Bit of a whoosh there I think.
  • seth plum said:

Having a go like that at his kids was out of order in my view.

Agreed, that's what the actual far-left look like. Absolute nut jobs.
  • I maintain that the issue of the Irish border receives the enhanced attention, and rightly so, because of the history of The Troubles. But the border there really only serves as a focus for the wider, massive contradiction of Leavers wanting to "take back control of our borders" whilst at the same time wanting them to be frictionless.

Leavers are invariably keen to point out they knew we would be on the outside of the SM/CU/EEA, etc. when they voted and this being the case there follows, inevitably, that measures and infrastructure are required to control the border we have just taken back control of. Otherwise we aren't controlling the border at all. At least in terms of making sure we only let in the people we want to and inspecting goods, raw materials, livestock, etc. etc. to ensure it meets our own laws, that we've also recently taken back control from the EU from. If we don't have our own, shiny, new laws, again what's the point?

Similarly the EU was always going to have to take steps to control it's own external border where it meets a country that has different product or environmental standards, practices and laws to those within the Single Market.

So although the Irish/NI border is seen as the current stumbling block the issues there are really only an enhanced version of those at any border, whether that's Dover, Felixstow, Ashford or Heathrow.

And there was plenty of discussion of the likely affects on those borders* during the referendum, it's just that any attempt to send up a warning sign was dismissed (and still is!) as Project Fear.

*...and we haven't really even got started on the whole Gibraltar situation yet.

Many leavers are keen to point this out but I’m afraid I don’t believe them. Not least because in the lead up to the referendum it is well documented that the leading lights of the Brexit campaign in Farage, Johnson, JRM, Grayling and Gove were very clear that “nobody is suggesting we leave the single market”. I’ll go as far as to say that 80% of the leave vote didn’t have a clue what the single market and customs union were. I’ll go even further and say that 50% of the then leave vote still don’t know.

Oh I know Shooters, I'm just pointing out that, even taken at face value, the position is contradictory and that the affects of controlling our borders, far from being underplayed or simply overlooked in the discussion were in fact deliberately dismissed by Leave as scaremongering. Leavers bought and still buy into that unfortunately and will continue to do so until the motorway in Kent is a car park...then they'll blame the EU.
  • seth plum said:

Having a go like that at his kids was out of order in my view.

I think few people would disagree with that Seth.

I was enquiring with @Huskaris why he feels it's relevant to the Brexit discussion? I've no idea what way that stupid old scrote voted in the referendum and the protest was not anti-Brexit or pro-EU from what I've seen in the coverage.
  • Bad news! No blue passports until the end of 2019 at the earliest according to Domo :neutral:
  • edited September 2018
    Chaz Hill said:

Bad news! No blue passports until the end of 2019 at the earliest according to Domo :neutral:

And, as they're being printed on the continent, who knows how long they'll take to get through customs?
  • Chaz Hill said:

Bad news! No blue passports until the end of 2019 at the earliest according to Domo :neutral:

Also it’s good to see the UK government supporting jobs in Europe printing them there and not here.
    You know where stand with Tory party.
  • Just checked my passport, it runs out in Feb 2020.

Wouldn't it be the crowning irony of this thread if I get a blue passport before my good mate @Chippycafc ??
    :-)

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!