Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

Comments

• Options
    MattF said:
    Perhaps LB told all the squad they either committed to all nime games or none, and if Solly said he'd only play till the 30th that put him in the none group
    Then LB should have said exactly that. He didn't. He made it out that the player he hadn't picked for one minute since December had, effectively, walked out on the Club.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Perhaps LB told all the squad they either committed to all nime games or none, and if Solly said he'd only play till the 30th that put him in the none group
    Then LB should have said exactly that. He didn't. He made it out that the player he hadn't picked for one minute since December had, effectively, walked out on the Club.
    You're right, but I'm just speculating. We've heard 2 or 3 different sides to the story already and they don't all match up. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    MattF said:
    MattF said:
    You're right, but I'm just speculating. We've heard 2 or 3 different sides to the story already and they don't all match up. 
    And I suspect that two of those versions have come from LB himself. One at the outset when he played the "we're three players down" card (even though Taylor was the only one he actually would have played) and now via Cawley who has written an article in the SLP and followed it up with a tweet explaining what actually happened. 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    That to me is unacceptable though

Contracts only went up until the 30th June because the season should have been finished by then, and nobody could ever have foreseen a season being delayed like that in peacetime. While the contract might say "30th June" what it means in spirit is "until the 2019/20 season is finished"

With him being the club captain, and having just had a testimonial, that's even worse.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    I make Bowyer right.
    Why? When, let's face it, LB wouldn't have picked him even if he had been available for all nine games? 

• Options
    clb74 said:
    clive said:
    Chris Solly was only at Charlton for ten years because for the last few years his injury record meant no other club wanted him, where is he now?
    If he had not had the injury problems earlier he would have long ago left the club for more money like the majority of players.
    Why are people still going on about this, move on, if Solly is so upset about what happened he should come out & give his version of events. In a few months he will be forgotten about.

You cant of been supporting Charlton long Clive if you think our fans can move on.
    I’m still upset they sold Alan Campbell. 
    At least you don't go as far back as Billy Bonds who played 95 games for us and then went on to make another 663 appearances for the Hammers! Probably one of the best players never to win an England cap too.
    And you don’t go back to possibly the worst one of all....Stuart Leary to QPR......it sent an air of gloom over The Valley for many a day.
  • Options
    MattF said:

Contracts only went up until the 30th June because the season should have been finished by then, and nobody could ever have foreseen a season being delayed like that in peacetime. While the contract might say "30th June" what it means in spirit is "until the 2019/20 season is finished"

With him being the club captain, and having just had a testimonial, that's even worse.
    As I say, LB would not have picked him for any of the final six games in front of Matthews. The argument put to me previously was that we would have played Solly instead of Matthews for the Cardiff game had he not refused to play. He was available though. It's just LB decided that he wouldn't be required.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MattF said:

As I say, LB would not have picked him for any of the final six games in front of Matthews. The argument put to me previously was that we would have played Solly instead of Matthews for the Cardiff game had he not refused to play. He was available though. It's just LB decided that he wouldn't be required.
    We could have done with him against Cardiff... We got the 0-0 but that meant we had to play 3-5-2. 4-4-2 may have been better for us, allowing the midfield to push up more. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MattF said:

We could have done with him against Cardiff... We got the 0-0 but that meant we had to play 3-5-2. 4-4-2 may have been better for us, allowing the midfield to push up more. 
    In which case why did LB say Solly had refused to play when he hadn't.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I don't know. Why don't you ask Chris and Lee? 

I wasn't disagreeing. 
  • Options
    You couldn't make this up. Cawley and LB need to get their stories straight!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I don't know. Why don't you ask Chris and Lee? 

I wasn't disagreeing. 
    And I wasn't disagreeing with what you said either.

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    The right-back’s last competitive match was for Charlton against Derby on December 30.

No it wasn't.  He played and was captain in the FA Cup Match against West Brom in January.  He was also terrible. https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5e1207147bb55/fa-cup-report-charlton-0-west-bromwich-albion-1#:~:text=A young Charlton side were,minute goal from Kenneth Zohore.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    The right-back’s last competitive match was for Charlton against Derby on December 30.

No it wasn't.  He played and was captain in the FA Cup Match against West Brom in January.  He was also terrible. https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5e1207147bb55/fa-cup-report-charlton-0-west-bromwich-albion-1#:~:text=A young Charlton side were,minute goal from Kenneth Zohore.
    Argument can be made that that game was not competitive
  • Options
    Bowyer has always said that Solly refused to play and you have to think he's telling the truth because if i was Solly and had been at Charlton for over 10 years, had a testimonial, struggle to find a fan with a bad word to say about him etc, then i sure as hell wouldn't let everyone think i'd refused to play and walked away if that wasn't actually the case. 

I'd have been on the phone to Cawley wanting my side published the very next day if what Bowyer said wasn't true. Solly's silence speaks volumes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bowyer coming across as a bit of a bell in this situation
    Is he?
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    I make Bowyer right.
    No you don't
  • Options
    Why would Solly want to play?
    He knew he would not get a new contract so was just risking injury.
    Its not as if he was a 24 year old stand out player that was going to attract interest from a multitude of championship clubs.
    His injury problems would have been well known.
    Who amongst us including Mathews and Solly would have thought way back in July that the dreaded virus would still have such an impact on our lives and football clubs.
    There are, and will be lots of footballers looking for a payday, Mathews and Solly amongst them.
    L.B. was spot on with his analysis of the situation.      
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    So Solly did refuse to play or Bowyer misunderstood him or Bowyer is lying

Come on Solly get a personality and say something 
  • Options
    So Solly did refuse to play or Bowyer misunderstood him or Bowyer is lying

Come on Solly get a personality and say something 
    Really shit journalism from Cawley. To come out with that four months after the event and then retract it is just muggy. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Its not as if he was a 24 year old stand out player that was going to attract interest from a multitude of championship clubs.

Who amongst us including Mathews and Solly would have thought way back in July that the dreaded virus would still have such an impact on our lives and football clubs.
    There are, and will be lots of footballers looking for a payday, Mathews and Solly amongst them.
    So using this idea the rationale not to play the very limited amount of time we might of needed him for was that it might result in injury which dropped him getting a new club. Given that he didn’t play and he doesn’t have a new club, how’s that working out?

Would have been better for his prospects if he could have played whatever small amount of time might have been asked of him so he could then go into the market as a player who was demonstrably fit, with recent Championship experience and no baggage. Now he doesn’t really have any of those qualities and I’m not surprised that he doesn’t have a team. 
  • Options
    I think there maybe something more serious at play here. 

Didn't Solly sign a contract just before the Roland take over?  Before he was completely broken?

And hasn't that contract been extended more than once, as opposed to a new contract being agreed?

Just guessing but that contract would have been negotiated from a position of strength and wage inflation probably stopped it being totally out of kilter. 

I do wonder if the club have got, or tried to get, out of some form of contractual liability.  Maybe he has retired?

For no one to really say anything about it, including him, for him to not even be training with someone, is a bit bizarre.   He hasn't played since the 1st weekend of January. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

So using this idea the rationale not to play the very limited amount of time we might of needed him for was that it might result in injury which dropped him getting a new club. Given that he didn’t play and he doesn’t have a new club, how’s that working out?

Would have been better for his prospects if he could have played whatever small amount of time might have been asked of him so he could then go into the market as a player who was demonstrably fit, with recent Championship experience and no baggage. Now he doesn’t really have any of those qualities and I’m not surprised that he doesn’t have a team. 
    I think my point is that he and probably Mathews thought that finding a club would be easier than its turned out with the wage and cost caps. 
    We all thought that we would have been shot of the dreaded virus and its effects by now.
    Difficult situation for a bloke who always gave 100% for Charlton.