Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players you rated that few others did...

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Simon Francis.

I was excited when we signed him. Absolutely brilliant crosser of the ball but seemed to be a confidence player and once the fans get on your back the only way is out.....the captain in the Premier League. Shows what confidence - or lack of - can do to a player.

I never rated Francis at the time... Felt he was in the way of both Solly and Jenkinson

When you compare his time at Charlton and Bournemouth, the latter were probably just a club that understood him as a player more than us and had the players available that were able to fit around him in the right system etc. that we didnt
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Always liked Kishi, I know he scored a couple of decent strikes but majority of shooting was terrible haha! Loved a hard tackle and just being a nuisance in general!
  • Options

Ironically a lot of are commenting on some of the Network Players... Tucudean | Sarr | Reza etc. proof they werent bad players they just either werent suited to the English game or needed more players (or Management) around them that knew the English game!!

It often takes time for people to settle in a new country and league, whereas they were expected to perform immediately and were themselves surrounded by players new to the English game.

Loaning Tucudean out after 6 months typifies this short termist attitude.
  • Options
    Also like Bulot! Looked like he could make things happen at any point. Not sure about how the majority on here felt about him but just chucking him out there!
  • Options
    Another shout for Kish here. Loved him and never understood the stick he got on netaddicks.
  • Options
    Bradley Allen
    Paweł Abbott
  • Options
    I remember Johnny Robinson getting some stick during his first 2 or 3 seasons with us, and one person behind me being a massive fan of is...he was right in the end!
  • Options
    I loved rommedahl, thought he was genuinely exciting when played correctly, but would do crazy things like be on the break beating everyone and instead of bearing down on goal simply passed sideways to euell and then the momentum would be lost. Curbs absolutely charltonised him.

Kish was my favourite player for a while. Getting a nosebleed every time he got anywhere near the box was actually deeply endearing to me, I remember whenever he tried to shoot he looked absolutely gutted he'd blazed it wide or over and you can see he was desperate to score.
  • Options
    Chris Solly before he became a regular in the the first team.

Saw him for the u18s in the youth cup when they thrashed Sheff Utd 6-0. Knew he was a future first team player, had a good football brain but could see he was also very brave and determined. Was clear he had enough about his game to make up for his size.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    George Armitage
    John Victor Beby
    Bill Berry
  • Options

Deon Burton. Highly underrated for his all round team play.

Yep same for me and deon burton. Another shout for Fanni, think he was genuine quality on the ball and extremely composed for a centre half.
  • Options

I remember Johnny Robinson getting some stick during his first 2 or 3 seasons with us, and one person behind me being a massive fan of is...he was right in the end!

Re-read Curbishley's book the other day and he commented on an incident that happened between John Robinson and Bob Bolder once when the former didnt do something that Bolder wanted... Apparently Bolder made the comment that Robert Lee would never have made the mistake forcing Robinson to respond with the comment: "But I'm not Robert Lee"

Seeing he was stepping into big shoes I wonder if the expectation was just as high
  • Options

Agree on Diawara.

Kishishev in his early days.

Always rated Lawrie Wilson even before he joined us, nevr understood the stick he got.

Most recently I'd say Novak. An intelligent footballer who Robinson couldn't utilise.

He was the Strike partner whole would have helped Jordan Rhodes score so many goals... Will have been part of the Huddersfield that not only won promotion from League One that season yet also part of the team that went 2000-games without losing.

Has to mean something for him and is now being proven with Scunthorpe
  • Options
    Thought Brian Hughes was good, but don't think he was rated by many, also didn't mind Akpo Sodje.
  • Options

Thought Brian Hughes was good, but don't think he was rated by many, also didn't mind Akpo Sodje.

His shorts were too long so I always thought he was rubbish
  • Options

Bryan Hughes was your classic curbs player so was always a mixed bag of supporters but ultimately would always be consistent and do a job as well as pop up with a goal without being flashy.
    When Hughes and Holland were in midfield it was a case of tidy passes through to the wings or back to defence, they were good to watch though... a real neatness and calm collected way of playing.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paul Benson.
  • Options
    Dan Seabourne....... but on a serious note Deon Burton, Youga, Alan McCormack
  • Options
    Paul Gorman, would have broken hales record if given a run in the team
  • Options
    Andy Gray
  • Options
    Fox, John Pearson, John Pender and George Shipley.
  • Options
    John Humphrey. Not saying people didn't rate him, but I think he's the best right back we've had in the last 40 years and he doesn't get mentioned much. Maybe its just that we don't talk about right backs much. On that note - I really liked Greg Shields and Frazer Richardson too.

Probably got something to do with where I was sitting in the stadium.
  • Options
    Dale
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Benson for me too. Found it odd the way he just couldn't get a game anymore.
  • Options
    Thought Thierry Racon was decent but often got pelters.