Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players you rated that few others did...

Comments

• Options

Chris Dickson
    Chris Eagles

Remember there was one game where we were chanting for Dickson to come on off the bench for what seemed like forever.
    & when he did we saw why he hadn't come on earlier. A non league player end of !
  • Options

Luke Young. Never got the credit he deserved.

He was happier winning a throw or a corner than delivering a cross. That's what bothered me.
  • Options
    Sam
    Wagstaff
    Newton
  • Options
    Majhid Bougera was fantastic.

Shame the best performance I saw of his was for Wednesday v Birmingham.
  • Options
    Ross said:

Darren Ambrose.

Had a few games where he played in the hole behind Iwelumo in 07/08 which was his position and was fantastic. Sadly he was more often than not placed out on the wing where he couldn't beat the full back and cross the ball.

He liked playing in the hole.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

He was happier winning a throw or a corner than delivering a cross. That's what bothered me.
    Really? I remember him hitting one of the best crosses I've ever seen for Sean Bartlett to score against the Spuds at WHL...
  • Options
    Martin Robinson
    Hugh McAuley
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Phil Walker, Mark Reid, Steve Gatting, Greg Shields, Keith Jones.

Someone mentioned John Robinson. When he arrived as a young winger from Brighton he was the long term replacement for Robert Lee so the pressure was on him a bit. I liked him immediately because he was busy and full of effort. One of my all time favourite players for Charlton who was a pest for the opposition and no full-back enjoyed playing against him. Scored some excellent goals too.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Really? I remember him hitting one of the best crosses I've ever seen for Sean Bartlett to score against the Spuds at WHL...
    Yep, totally really. I think you may have mis-read my post as "he didn't hit any good crosses in his career" which is quite different.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thought Thierry Racon was decent but often got pelters.

He was a very good dribbler, but his longer range passing let him down. I enjoyed watching him though.
  • Options

Majhid Bougera was fantastic.

Shame the best performance I saw of his was for Wednesday v Birmingham.

I liked Madjid Bougherra personally :lol:
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

He was a very good dribbler, but his longer range passing let him down. I enjoyed watching him though.
    Also, his name is Therry. A bunch of youngsters in front of me in the north stand were not impressed when I corrected the chant they'd just made up.
  • Options
    Diawarra and Faye definitely
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Diawara and Varney definitely,

Didn't rate Benson despite him scoring some good goals for us and playing that game with a deformed head after taking a big hit to the bonce. Think he scored after it!

What was her name?
  • Options
    Players I rated that nobody else did? Me!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Also, his name is Therry. A bunch of youngsters in front of me in the north stand were not impressed when I corrected the chant they'd just made up.
    Used to annoy me when they'd chant his name wrong
  • Options
    At the start of the season in which Therry Racon and Jose Semedo regularly started as the central midfield pair (2010-11?) together they were imperious. Neither was especially dynamic or creative but that wasn't their chief role.
    I think impressions of both were coloured by the Pardew Effect, he had recruited them and bigged them up but they were both new to English football arriving to a Charlton setup in hastening decline. Despite that, for those early months Charlton had a non-porous midfield. Howls of complaint toward both of them from those around me in the upper west always baffled me. Semedo was Sheff W's player of the season after he left us.
    I also never subscribed to the opprobrium hurled at Diawarra - the gloves were idiotic but he was one of the better recruits in that risible Dowie fiasco. Just cos Richard Murray hadn't heard of him, didn't make him a bad player. Charlton probably overpaid for him but that's not his fault and was true of most in that recruitment shambles.
  • Options
    Steve Jones
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Andy Jones
  • Options
    Always thought Pringle popped up with important goals, I also enjoyed watching Mathias svensson bashing into centre halves.
  • Options
    Racon and Semedo definitely. Racon was a very technically gifted player and Pardew and Parkinson had no idea what to do with him or how to play to his strengths so in the English tradition he ended up getting stuck out on the wing.

Thought Yoni Buyens looked a very good player the handful of times I saw him. Perhaps didn't always impose himself on the game as much as would be ideal but certainly very technical.

Francis Coquelin looked about three levels above the two games I saw him play. Still gutted Arsene remembered him.

Obviously he was rated, but I think I rated JBG much higher than many. He played in some really poor sides and teams were able to double up on him, but because he has RBF it seems people just turned on him by the end.

F-Caskey, though this year he's starting to earn plaudits. He's got bags of ability, it's just a matter of putting it all together.
  • Options

Always thought Pringle popped up with important goals, I also enjoyed watching Mathias svensson bashing into centre halves.

Matte is a legend back home for the mighty Elfsborg. A top geezer as well tbf.
  • Options

Andy Jones

Yes - agree with that
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Paul Terry the older brother of John, I saw him a few times playing for our reserve team and thought he looked very decent.
  • Options
    Dick Tydeman
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Chris Iwelumo ....... surprisingly good for a big lad with the ball at his feet, remember 2 goals scored in a Sheff Weds game (on his Charlton debut, was it?)

That season he headed a terrific last minute winner away at Southampton.
    And a last minute winner again a few days later at Bristol City, picture goal after a great Andy Reid cross on the run down the left wing and headed in at the far post.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Chris Iwelumo ....... surprisingly good for a big lad with the ball at his feet, remember 2 goals scored in a Sheff Weds game (on his Charlton debut, was it?)

That season he scored a terrific last minute winner away at Southampton.
    And a last minute winner again a few days later at Bristol City, picture goal after a great Andy Reid cross on the run down the left wing.

Carbon copy goals I seem to recall.