Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players you rated that few others did...

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Chris Iwelumo ....... surprisingly good for a big lad with the ball at his feet, remember 2 goals scored in a Sheff Weds game (on his Charlton debut, was it?)

That season he scored a terrific last minute winner away at Southampton.
    And a last minute winner again a few days later at Bristol City, picture goal after a great Andy Reid cross on the run down the left wing.

I liked him too.
    His miss for Scotland was as bad as it gets though
  • Options
    Peter Shaw
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Chris Iwelumo ....... surprisingly good for a big lad with the ball at his feet, remember 2 goals scored in a Sheff Weds game (on his Charlton debut, was it?)

And a last minute winner again a few days later at Bristol City, picture goal after a great Andy Reid cross on the run down the left wing.

Carbon copy goals I seem to recall.
    Yep, both quality headers on the run.

• Options
    Nicky Bailey

Our driving force in midfield for 2 seasons, we would never have reached the playoffs without him...but to many that penalty seems to have overshadowed all the good things he did
  • Options
    Those who named Diawara evidently weren't at the Wycombe cup game.

Amazed to see Keith Jones on this list- did anyone not rate him ?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

"The best centre-half that nobody has ever heard of", as I believe he was described by the Chairman at the time.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Carbon copy goals I seem to recall.
    One at Southampton was a close range diving header at the far post after a powerful run and cross from the right hand by-line by Luke Varney.

One at Bristol City was an angled cross from centre left by Reid....headed over the keeper.

• Options
    Mark Stuart
    Andy Jones
  • Options

Mark Stuart

"He could play for Barcelona or Bromley. It's up to him", we were told by his manager of the time.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Mark Stuart

"He could play for Barcelona or Bromley. It's up to him", we were told by his manager of the time.

Ironically he did eventually play for Bromley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bobby (marmite) Goldthorpe. Aizelwood, Pates, Stuart M, Dicko, Kish, Moutakil, Pritchard, Waggy, Sam, KAG.
  • Options

Gary Churchouse.

No, forget that.

• Options
    Liked Paul Hayes though others around me thought he was shite
  • Options
    Kids. Nathan Ashton, Harry Pell, Charlie Mac, Campbell-Ryce, Tutt, Gough, Arter (cough), Shittu, Prinvoy, Edwards, Lapslie, last two because no sign they will be re-signed.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Pates

Ah, yes ..... Colin Pates. Very neat and tidy for a CB.
    Good player.

• Options
    Carl Leaburn
  • Options
    Roy Matthews. people used to say he was invisible but I rated him.
  • Options

Kids. Nathan Ashton, Harry Pell, Charlie Mac, Campbell-Ryce, Tutt, Gough, Arter (cough), Shittu, Prinvoy, Edwards, Lapslie, last two because no sign they will be re-signed.

Apart from the fact Lapslie has made his first team debut (and scored)?
  • Options

Nicky Bailey

Our driving force in midfield for 2 seasons, we would never have reached the playoffs without him...but to many that penalty seems to have overshadowed all the good things he did

And all the diving and feigning injury and being a bit of a mug really.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    wmcf123 said:

One game doth not maketh the player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

wmcf123 said:

One game doth not maketh the player.
    I think most judge him on what he did after he left
  • Options
    Luke Varney. I thought he worked hard when playing for us but was never really liked by fans or management.
  • Options
    Peter Hunt.
    Every team needs one
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    wmcf123 said:

Jones was mustard at the job he did. Him and Kinsella in midfield were one of the best midfield partnerships I’ve seen at Charlton.
  • Options

Luke Varney. I thought he worked hard when playing for us but was never really liked by fans or management.

If half the team at the time Varney was in the side had his work ethic we would have gone up
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Peter Hunt.
    Every team needs one

We’ve got had quite a few ‘unts over the years.
  • Options
    Dick Plumb.
  • Options
    Ricky Otto