Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Celebrities That Are Still Alive

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    But is he a celebrity Len ?
    He was a huge sports personality back in the day........just squeezes in I’d say.
  • Options
    Best wishes to Sir Everton Weekes, who has suffered a heart attack and is in intensive care in Barbados.  Hoping he pulls through. 
  • Options
    Best wishes for a swift recovery from me too.   Remember seeing him at the Oval, one of the three W’s along with Worrell and Walcott.  Strange how with such a powerful batting line-up they rarely all came off together.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Sonny Ramhadin

West Indies test cricketer born 1 May 1929. Arguably their greatest ever slow bowler after Lance Gibbs.

Lance Gibbs possibly but how about Jim Laker.  Sonny was allowed to bowl with his shirt cuffs flapping around his wrist, a bit of a distraction I would think.  Apart from his mesmerising off breaks he was the worlds worst ever fielder and number 11.

• Options
    Sorry Len, just realised you said “their best spin bowler” so Jim hardly qualifies.
  • Options
    Olivia de Havilland is 103 today.
  • Options
    Really......good for her, rock on old duck!
  • Options
    Jack Higgins author of a History of Crystal Palace The Eagle Has Landed.

90 today.
  • Options
    And she is the first entry on this thread.
  • Options
    I know - I was saying it was her birthday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You swine Len - you beat me to it! :D
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Sir Patrick Sergeant financial journalist.

Born 17 March 1924.

City Editor of Charlton Life's favourite newspaper, the Daily Mail, between 1960 and 1984 and later founder of Euromoney in 1969 and later Euromoney.com.

If anyone flushes @Riviera out of his lair this one will  ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Azam Khan (Born 1926) 4 time British Open Squash Champion and still capable of beating Jonah Barrington in practice in 1967 in his forties the year when Jonah himself won the first of his 6 British Opens.

Jonah Barrington considers Azam as a serious candidate for greatest squash player of all time.
  • Options
    Imelda Marcos

Known as the First Lady of the Philippine Islands. Born 2 July 1929
  • Options
    She is a shoe in for the list Len. 
  • Options
    Which reminds me.......where’s Riviera these days?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    She is a shoe in for the list Len. 
    One day she’ll get booted off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Happy 90th Birthday Stirling Moss..........Sir Stirling Craufurd Moss to be precise.
    Seems like he has been part of my entire life......I first became aware of him around 1956 and he has remained there in my conscience ever since.......in more ways than one, which I’ll come to in a moment.
    Without doubt the greatest Grand Prix F1 driver never to have become World Champion, he was very very unlucky and came tantalisingly close on several occasions.....coming runner up no fewer than four times and third three times!
    Going back a few haircuts to around 1980, I lived in Avonmore Road West Kensington, right near Olympia.
    I came out of my house one morning only to find him dressed in brown overalls at the top of a long extension ladder doing some DIY work three floors up on the windows of a nearby house, truly surreal wouldn’t you say.......WTF are you of all people doing there?
    I later found out he owned the house and rented it out into flats.
    So yes, how bloody surreal when you come to think of it......I remember thinking you don’t need to be doing that Stirling, it looked more than a bit dicey to be honest and he should really have had it scaffolded and boarded out.
    Then again, he lived with danger for much of his life in the days when Grand Prix racing drivers lives were practically two a penny......quite commonly one or two  would die each season.
    So it’s fair to say that as a 50+ year old, an hour or two spent three floors up on a ladder wouldn’t have phased him one little bit......obviously he lived to tell the tale and thankfully, so have I.
    A truly great ‘old school’ English gentleman and sporting legend .................who, amongst other things, enjoyed a bit of DIY and climbing ladders!
    Spoke to him a few times over the years and he’s always a real gent.

He signed my programme at Goodwood a few years ago where they were demonstrating an old F1 car that hadn’t run for a while (BRM V16).

The front page had a picture of Fangio driving it and he leant in and whispered out of earshot of the organisers “it was a bloody awful car”.
  • Options
    Ex-speaker Betty Boothroyd is 90 today
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    David Foot

Journalist and historian.

Has also written a number of cricketing biographies notably Walter Hammond, Viv Richards and Harold Gimblett.

EDIT: Left out the test umpire and former Gloucestershire county cricketer David Shepherd which was billed as an autobiography.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    David Foot

Journalist and historian.

Has also written a number of cricketing biographies notably Walter Hammond, Viv Richards and Harold Gimblett.

EDIT: Left out the test umpire and former Gloucestershire county cricketer David Shepherd which was billed as an autobiography.
    Mmmmm.....not sure he makes celebrity status Len........I for one have never heard of him?
  • Options
    Which reminds me.......where’s Riviera these days?
    Shhhh...
  • Options
    Just seen actor Lee Montague is 92 today. Well known enough for the list? I think so but I am not the final adjudicator.
  • Options
    Nicholas Parsons - 93
    Now 96. A national treasure 
  • Options
    Is someone going to be bold enough to take over the administration/adjudication of this thread as Riviera seems to have gone on the missing list?
    It’s in grave danger of falling into chaotic disrepute.
  • Options
    kimbo said:
    Nicholas Parsons - 93
    Now 96. A national treasure 
    As is Murray Walker - they were born on the same day...  
  • Options
    Is someone going to be bold enough to take over the administration/adjudication of this thread as Riviera seems to have gone on the missing list?
    It’s in grave danger of falling into chaotic disrepute.
    I think you should do it @SoundAsa£. From what I gather you're closer to joining the list than most! :)