Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My Neighbour Upstairs Pt2.

Comments

• Options
    i'm not overly convinced here that she's doing much wrong. If she was using it at midnight or waking you up with it at 6am then fair enough but the times she's using it seem fair enough.

Have you considered buying yourself some noise cancelling headphones, then when she decides to start her rowing, you just listen to some music or watch something on your computer.

Or go and speak to her and ask if she can get some gym mats (even offer to buy them yourself) and put the rowing machine on them, that might help as i assume currently the machine is just on the floor.
  • Options

You're a strange one Martin

Don't think that's warranted on this thread. A couple of others perhaps...
  • Options
    Hmmmm... I feel like it would be reasonable to talk to her in a polite way.... just to let her know it is affecting you and to ask for consideration re: timing

Having said that, I think anything (within reason) before 10pm is fair game.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Do you have a loud stereo? If not, get one.

This. With the speakers resting on step ladders pointing at the ceiling. Something with heavy bass/drums on repeat and go out for the day.

Alternatively ask her if she'd mind getting her kid on to the rowing machine while she pops done to your gaff* to listen to the racket. They probably don't realise. Suggest they buy one of these: https://amazon.co.uk/Supermats-P-V-C-Rowing-Machines-8-5-Feet/dp/B004IJG4NG

I'm enjoying these threads. I'm seeing the making of a Netflix horror series. Who will play @sillav nitram in the lead role? I'm thinking George Clooney. Maybe Jo Brand or Miranda Hart to play the psycho-woman? With Mark Gatiss as her son.

* You never know, you might get to slip her a portion.
  • Options
    Has she got big bangers?
  • Options

Check your tenancy agreement. You may find a clause requiring those on 1st and 2nd floors to have floor coverings. It's fairly standard.

This.

I installed wood flooring in my old 1st floor flat lounge and the lower neighbour mentioned it a few times. When we checked the leasehold agreement, there was nothing in it but as far as I'm aware, all relatively new leases have this built in now.
  • Options
    Isn't this just part of living in an apartment/shared house? In my last place the woman who lived above me would come it at all hours and walk around in her high heels, yeah, it was annoying that's life, people do have to live in their own homes.

Not that long the ago the people below me in my new place came up to complain that my dog was running around the house and annoying them, my answer was pretty simple, she's a dog, she's gonna walk, if you don't like it, move into a house where stranger don't live above you.
  • Options

You're a strange one Martin

That may be true, which again is why I’m asking opinion.
  • Options
    The whole point of my thread is to ask how others would feel/do if they were in the same situation.

As Stu and I have acknowledged, when one lives on top of each other then noise is unavoidable but perhaps some noise may be considered unreasonable in certain situations/times.

When noise is persistent, reasonable or unreasonable then it can become irritating and distort thinking, mine doesn’t need much encouragement in that respect.

So thanks to those who have given me opinion, that may make me consider my own rationale and those who have, as to be expected, given me a laff.
  • Options
    Yeah, definitely the "do you realise" route if you ask me, and then check if it is not on a mat, suggest it. Not in agreement with the "anything is okay before XX o'clock" brigade. You should be considerate at all times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017
    cafcfan said:

limeygent said:

Do you have a loud stereo? If not, get one.

This. With the speakers resting on step ladders pointing at the ceiling. Something with heavy bass/drums on repeat and go out for the day.

Alternatively ask her if she'd mind getting her kid on to the rowing machine while she pops done to your gaff* to listen to the racket. They probably don't realise. Suggest they buy one of these: https://amazon.co.uk/Supermats-P-V-C-Rowing-Machines-8-5-Feet/dp/B004IJG4NG

I'm enjoying these threads. I'm seeing the making of a Netflix horror series. Who will play @sillav nitram in the lead role? I'm thinking George Clooney. Maybe Jo Brand or Miranda Hart to play the psycho-woman? With Mark Gatiss as her son.

* You never know, you might get to slip her a portion.
    I think if I was offered a portion, I would on this occasion, respectfully decline, too much noise, please refer to “How bigs yer Knob”

Thanks for the tip re mats, could be a good suggestion.
  • Options

Yeah, definitely the "do you realise" route if you ask me, and then check if it is not on a mat, suggest it. Not in agreement with the "anything is okay before XX o'clock" brigade. You should be considerate at all times.

Interesting but those who do think noise is ok, say up to 10pm, may themselves be noisy?

I’ve lived in this building for a long time and I’ve always said to my neighbours, if at any time you feel I’m being noisy, then do please knock on my door and “I’ll punch yer lights out”;) let me know, otherwise I won’t know. I’m happy then to reduce whatever noise I may be making, music, TV etc.,

I don’t find it a problem someone telling/asking me.
  • Options

Interesting but those who do think noise is ok, say up to 10pm, may themselves be noisy?

I’ve lived in this building for a long time and I’ve always said to my neighbours, if at any time you feel I’m being noisy, then do please knock on my door and “I’ll punch yer lights out”;) let me know, otherwise I won’t know. I’m happy then to reduce whatever noise I may be making, music, TV etc.,

I don’t find it a problem someone telling/asking me.
    Mate, you're too considerate. You're letting people walk all over you..... See what I did there
  • Options
    Golfie, it seems like most times you're posting about your 'recent ex girlfriend' - sounds like you are going through them at a rate of knots !
    Not moaning, just jealous. :wink:
  • Options
    a serious answer well everyone would have different thresholds and behave differently as we all are different

whatever your grievance you must make a point of talking it through with her to begin with ...most people are considerate and she may not have a jot of awareness of all the things youve mentioned

whatever the outcome you will feel better for talking with her ...thats what i would do ,in any event if it did eventually result in a formal dispute you would have to provide some form of evidence that you have tried to have some dialogue about it
  • Options
    I would just go up and have a chat with her. Suggest getting some rugs and a gym mat, that way you wont hear it that much.

Also say that you're up early and you tend to go to bed around nine and its keeping you from sleeping. It could go two ways, she may tell you to fuck off or she may apologise and all will be ok.

Sounds like its getting you down as its not in your control, by speaking to her you are taking control.

The noise canceling headphones are a god send btw. I have the Bose QC35, lumpy at £300 ish but they are superb!
  • Options
    I am not clear as to whether the upstairs neighbour lady is approachable or not.
    If there is already simmering antagonism it is tricky, but if she is more or less normal and reasonable I feel sure that this is something that can be sorted out by practical means and a bit of give and take.
    The neighbour is unlikely to be a mind reader or have x-ray vision or ears so assuming things must be 'obvious' is a risk. Find an appropriate opportunity to talk, smile and be nice and with luck everyone can be a winner and thinner.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Had a similar problem with my last neighbour, although they didn't have a rowing machine as far as I was aware. They fitted cheap laminate flooring and afterwards even the smallest of steps across the room sounded like they were jumping up and down on the floor. My whole flat used to vibrate. Added to this they then had a child and never ever went out. As the baby became a toddler it then used to spend all day and evening running up and down the flat.

I tried speaking to them but they didn't care a jot - kids need to run about blah blah blah - but didn't feel the need to let the kid run about in the gardens or park outside, just in the flat!

I invested in wireless headphones and basically spent any time I was indoors wearing them, which is quite depressing and draining, which meant I never wanted to go home.

I moved. I no longer have anyone living above me and now have lovely considerate neighbours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    hit her son round the head with a hammer to put him in a coma, she'll be down the hospital all the time meaning no more noise OR you'll be inside with bigger things to worry about, like getting raped in the shower.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Check your tenancy agreement. You may find a clause requiring those on 1st and 2nd floors to have floor coverings. It's fairly standard.

This.

I installed wood flooring in my old 1st floor flat lounge and the lower neighbour mentioned it a few times. When we checked the leasehold agreement, there was nothing in it but as far as I'm aware, all relatively new leases have this built in now.

Isn't this just part of living in an apartment/shared house? In my last place the woman who lived above me would come it at all hours and walk around in her high heels, yeah, it was annoying that's life, people do have to live in their own homes.

Not that long the ago the people below me in my new place came up to complain that my dog was running around the house and annoying them, my answer was pretty simple, she's a dog, she's gonna walk, if you don't like it, move into a house where stranger don't live above you.

As others have said check you lease/tenancy agreement.
    Mine.

No flat shall be occupied or permitted or suffered to be occupied unless all the floors are covered and at all times are and remain covered with a floor covering which renders normal noises arising from occupation inaudible in each and every of the adjacent and neighbouring flats.

Except with the consent of the lessor company no live animal shall be kept in any flat or garage.

There have been two evictions in the last year for breaches of the above.
  • Options

hit her son round the head with a hammer to put him in a coma, she'll be down the hospital all the time meaning no more noise OR you'll be inside with bigger things to worry about, like getting raped in the shower.

This sounds like the perfect solution Dave, you really do have a good take on things and are clearly a considerate person. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

This.

Mine.

No flat shall be occupied or permitted or suffered to be occupied unless all the floors are covered and at all times are and remain covered with a floor covering which renders normal noises arising from occupation inaudible in each and every of the adjacent and neighbouring flats.

Except with the consent of the lessor company no live animal shall be kept in any flat or garage.

I live in China, the rules are quite different here!
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

This.

Mine.

I know. Do you prefer brown or tomato sauce?
  • Options
    agim said:

How dare someone do things that they want to do in their own house!

My neighbour complained when I was doing up my front room. He said the sound of me cutting the skirting board sounded like a dog barking.

So next week I bought a dog

I hope it chewed up your new skirting boards you inconsiderate bastard :wink:
  • Options

TBH I wish I'd had the 'guts' to talk to some of my neighbours about their noise but have avoided it.

I think people living close to others should be considerate of others at all times - some people work shifts for example. I tend to go out of my way not to make a noise incase it upsets a neighbour. I was gobsmacked a few years back when a neighbour came round with a list of things we did that annoyed her. They included:

Mr Tatters starting up his motorbike at 4am - could he wheel it up the road and start it outside someone else's house? (He worked shifts).

Mr Tatters chopping wood in the garden.

The hens announcing their eggs - she had taken a video of 3 of them standing outside their coop bock-bocking after the other one had laid her egg.

I didn't know what to say - mainly because this neighbour was (in my view) the most inconsiderate person I've ever lived next to. Most weekends they had parties outside with 'loud pumping music' into the early hours, BBQ every Sunday with the same fecking music and they used to shoot things around the garden with an air rifle (sometimes from the upstairs window). Often found the pellets in our garden too. In exchange for Mr Tatters pushing his bike up the road and not chopping wood when they were eating dinner(?!) they stopped the air rifle stuff.

I guess what I'm saying is that most of us make noise which will annoy others, it's how you deal with it that matters. @sillav nitram I'd be inclined to speak to her about it, as others have said, rather than letting the annoyance build up inside you until you communicate in an 'unhelpful' way (!) Easier said than done - I've never managed.

I did also live below a woman who seemed unable to reach full orgasm. Disappointingly (for us all in the flats that surrounded her) she would start the old bed rocking and ever increasing moaning without finishing. The bed rock would then slow down and speed up again to no avail.

Hmmm where was this?
  • Options

A couple of years ago I rented a flat & was twice told by my next door neighbour that I was causing a noise - once when my children came round & told that their "running around and jumping everywhere" had caused ornaments to fall from their shelves - and the other when I was told that environmental officers were called out at 2am as my snoring was keeping them awake.

Why were you kipping in their bed?
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

This.

Mine.

I know. Do you prefer brown or tomato sauce?
    Pretty sure I'm being whooshed here, but both have their time and place ;)