Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My Neighbour Upstairs Pt2.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2017
    In the world of today, people work outside of normal hours. It hasn't directly affected me, but I do know of a massive row between neighbours with one accusing the others - who worked late shifts of talking too loud when they got in. Not shouting, but talking too loud. If you can't talk in your own home for god's sake. I know this dispute got out of hand and the accusers forced the other family out.

If I turn everything off and try to listen, I can hear my neighbour, but it is easy enough to shut the noise out. The issue is that if you let it develop into something you become more aware of it! I know it causes people on both sides of the argument lots of distress and upset!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I have to say I am really surprised that so many people seem to think that you have the right to inflict noise on your neighbours. I don't think that people have the right to not consider their neighbours. When the neighbours downstairs get too loud, with their kids stomping around and screaming I get my speaker out and play Ace of Spades at full volume with the speaker on the floor, and bounce a football (I have tried speaking with them). Largely, I think people that have this view have it because they themselves are inconsiderate arseholes.

I think I've given them enough of the idea that I might be completely insane (or maybe it's not a joke) that they have learnt to be more considerate of their neighbours.

Upstairs are a dream, unbelievably considerate, play their music a bit loud occasionally but at appropriate hours and want me to let them know if I hear their kids stamping and have put soundproofing on the floors so they don't inflict noise on their neighbours.

I should point out the people beneath were so loud that the people upstairs of me were complaining about them too..
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

I have to say I am really surprised that so many people seem to think that you have the right to inflict noise on your neighbours. I don't think that people have the right to not consider their neighbours. When the neighbours downstairs get too loud, with their kids stomping around and screaming I get my speaker out and play Ace of Spades at full volume with the speaker on the floor, and bounce a football (I have tried speaking with them). Largely, I think people that have this view have it because they themselves are inconsiderate arseholes.

I think I've given them enough of the idea that I might be completely insane (or maybe it's not a joke) that they have learnt to be more considerate of their neighbours.

Upstairs are a dream, unbelievably considerate, play their music a bit loud occasionally but at appropriate hours and want me to let them know if I hear their kids stamping and have put soundproofing on the floors so they don't inflict noise on their neighbours.

I should point out the people beneath were so loud that the people upstairs of me were complaining about them too..

Re your final paragraph. I have had a similar situation and it is not something I would wish on my own worst enemy, the squirrel, Duchatelet and palace fans aside.

Eventually I found it became a mental thing because I was waiting for the music to come on at any given moment.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I don't think you have the right to inflict unreasonable noise but some noise is unavoidable. In the example I gave, I do know the family were afraid to talk in their own house and moved their son and daughters to different rooms. They were still confronted and threatened. I just know from their characters that they were not making noises they could avoid, but there are factors such as thin walls etc... Just because I am typing this and thinking about it, I have just noticed that my neighbour has their tumble dryer on!
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Re your final paragraph. I have had a similar situation and it is not something I would wish on my own worst enemy, the squirrel, Duchatelet and palace fans aside.

Eventually I found it became a mental thing because I was waiting for the music to come on at any given moment.
    It really is unbearable at times, and you know that once it starts, it can go on for a long, long time. I was woken up at 3am a couple days ago by screaming and stamping. Quite simply, the parents don't seem to care... I know it might be difficult raising kids but they seem to take it to a different level.

It has got to the point a couple of times where I have to admit it has brought out the worst in me. I have done things I wouldn't normally do as someone who is exceptionally non confrontational, but I have genuinely wished death on them all (not to their face). We have communal corridors and they will leave their front door open, and the kids will run into the communal area and scream. They are very, very echoey (uncarpeted floor). Their nonchalance when I have raised it with them made me want to smack the father in the face. They often leave rubbish in the corridor, the smell from their flat is beyond awful (the guy works for Standard Chartered and they definitely have enough cash, they are trying to sell so they can move into a house, but the place absolutely stinks)

If I was to rate the most likely reason for me going to prison in my life, it would be for attacking the guy downstairs (the wife seems perfectly reasonable). I have a lot of sympathy for people who are put upon by their neighbours. And even more sympathy for people who make their issues clear only for them to effectively shrug and say tough shit.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Thank you.

I was beginning to get the impression, I was simply being an Andy Hunt.
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Thank you.

Don't get me wrong, I think I might be too, but I do think it is completely unreasonable for someone to think that they have the right to inflict their noise, which is essentially them imposing themselves on you.

You have the right to do anything you want, until it bothers other people. The philosophy I live my life by, and what I expect of others.
  • Options
    I'm half tempted to do a poll on how this will end, but I think afka will see it as an abuse of power
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I'm half tempted to do a poll on how this will end, but I think afka will see it as an abuse of power

My monies on me being banned.
  • Options

clb74 said:

TBH I wish I'd had the 'guts' to talk to some of my neighbours about their noise but have avoided it.

I think people living close to others should be considerate of others at all times - some people work shifts for example. I tend to go out of my way not to make a noise incase it upsets a neighbour. I was gobsmacked a few years back when a neighbour came round with a list of things we did that annoyed her. They included:

Mr Tatters starting up his motorbike at 4am - could he wheel it up the road and start it outside someone else's house? (He worked shifts).

Mr Tatters chopping wood in the garden.

The hens announcing their eggs - she had taken a video of 3 of them standing outside their coop bock-bocking after the other one had laid her egg.

I didn't know what to say - mainly because this neighbour was (in my view) the most inconsiderate person I've ever lived next to. Most weekends they had parties outside with 'loud pumping music' into the early hours, BBQ every Sunday with the same fecking music and they used to shoot things around the garden with an air rifle (sometimes from the upstairs window). Often found the pellets in our garden too. In exchange for Mr Tatters pushing his bike up the road and not chopping wood when they were eating dinner(?!) they stopped the air rifle stuff.

I guess what I'm saying is that most of us make noise which will annoy others, it's how you deal with it that matters. @sillav nitram I'd be inclined to speak to her about it, as others have said, rather than letting the annoyance build up inside you until you communicate in an 'unhelpful' way (!) Easier said than done - I've never managed.

I did also live below a woman who seemed unable to reach full orgasm. Disappointingly (for us all in the flats that surrounded her) she would start the old bed rocking and ever increasing moaning without finishing. The bed rock would then slow down and speed up again to no avail.

Make the neighbour right on the 4am motorbike.
    I would though find out the days his not working and knock on your door, when you answered id ask how you liked being woken up at 4am
    So how does he get to work? Just wheel the bike all the way?!
    He can go on the bike.
    Your just have to put up with my early morning knock on the door the same as I do with the bike
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Huskaris said:

Thank you.

To me the situations don't sound the same at all.

• Options
    Why don't you just give her a link to this?
  • Options
    iainment said:

Why don't you just give her a link to this?

With her name now all over the thread, she's gonna be way more pissed off than Sillav ever should be, I certainly would be.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

TBH I wish I'd had the 'guts' to talk to some of my neighbours about their noise but have avoided it.

I think people living close to others should be considerate of others at all times - some people work shifts for example. I tend to go out of my way not to make a noise incase it upsets a neighbour. I was gobsmacked a few years back when a neighbour came round with a list of things we did that annoyed her. They included:

Mr Tatters starting up his motorbike at 4am - could he wheel it up the road and start it outside someone else's house? (He worked shifts).

The hens announcing their eggs - she had taken a video of 3 of them standing outside their coop bock-bocking after the other one had laid her egg.

I didn't know what to say - mainly because this neighbour was (in my view) the most inconsiderate person I've ever lived next to. Most weekends they had parties outside with 'loud pumping music' into the early hours, BBQ every Sunday with the same fecking music and they used to shoot things around the garden with an air rifle (sometimes from the upstairs window). Often found the pellets in our garden too. In exchange for Mr Tatters pushing his bike up the road and not chopping wood when they were eating dinner(?!) they stopped the air rifle stuff.

I guess what I'm saying is that most of us make noise which will annoy others, it's how you deal with it that matters. @sillav nitram I'd be inclined to speak to her about it, as others have said, rather than letting the annoyance build up inside you until you communicate in an 'unhelpful' way (!) Easier said than done - I've never managed.

I did also live below a woman who seemed unable to reach full orgasm. Disappointingly (for us all in the flats that surrounded her) she would start the old bed rocking and ever increasing moaning without finishing. The bed rock would then slow down and speed up again to no avail.

I would though find out the days his not working and knock on your door, when you answered id ask how you liked being woken up at 4am
    He can go on the bike.
    Your just have to put up with my early morning knock on the door the same as I do with the bike
    Silly comment.

Starting a bike up and going takes about 10 seconds.
  • Options
    Before we moved, the two previous tenants were a nightmare.

Neither played music, nor parties, nor television. The one downside was that the place was not insulated fantastically well BUT the other flats in our block of 12 did not experience ANY issues.

The first people above me were a single parent and two young children, the mother had a mouth like a foghorn and the two children ran around the flat like a playground. To cut a long story short after numerous communication with the tenant and landlord we got nowhere. To all intents and purposes the landlord(he was a copper and should know better) washed his hands of the situation, so we were left high and dry.

They then moved out. My wife and I then decided to move during the period of new tenants.

The new tenants came in, Romanians. After a couple of months it was apparant that they had a 'few too many people' living/sub-letting/staying temporarily in the gaff. Our respectable block/neighbourhood became busier than Bucharest central station in the rush hour.

With us moving and knowing the landlord was only interested in his £1500 a month, we had to ride it out until we moved.

We should all be allowed to live in peace and quiet, landlords should have more rules put on them regards the behaviour of their tenants.
  • Options

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

He can go on the bike.
    Silly comment.

My knocking on the door takes less
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

He can go on the bike.
    Silly comment.

My knocking on the door takes less
    Ffs.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

He can go on the bike.
    Silly comment.

I don't think it's a silly comment to be honest. Firing up a motorbike is pretty noisy... If I'm woken up at 4am I often can't get back to sleep and that's me up for the day. That then can throw your whole day out of sync.

Sounds like the neighbours are idiots but keeping noisy animals etc in a (presumably) built up area is pretty stupid with the greatest of respect. Girlfriends family did it with hens and drove the neighbours mad. No need for it. It's the same with people who have dogs that bark ceaselessly in the garden.

Like I said, I don't understand why people feel it's ok to inflict noise on others. For some people it doesn't bother them, but for others it can be an intense source of anxiety. For some, It can really affect their mental health.
  • Options

cabbles said:

My monies on me being banned.
    I sincerely hope that won't happen! I'm waiting for Series One Episode Three. If you got banned, I'd feel compelled to boycott the site. (Apart from a daily thread about the merits of different stress toys.)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

Do you make the neighbour's solution to start it outside someone else's house right too?

To be honest Arseintatters, it would be the hens I had an issue with too (unless you live on a farm - which you might do, with the chopping wood and all that). But if they are noisy buggers, sod 'em.
  • Options

Before we moved, the two previous tenants were a nightmare.

Neither played music, nor parties, nor television. The one downside was that the place was not insulated fantastically well BUT the other flats in our block of 12 did not experience ANY issues.

The first people above me were a single parent and two young children, the mother had a mouth like a foghorn and the two children ran around the flat like a playground. To cut a long story short after numerous communication with the tenant and landlord we got nowhere. To all intents and purposes the landlord(he was a copper and should know better) washed his hands of the situation, so we were left high and dry.

They then moved out. My wife and I then decided to move during the period of new tenants.

The new tenants came in, Romanians. After a couple of months it was apparant that they had a 'few too many people' living/sub-letting/staying temporarily in the gaff. Our respectable block/neighbourhood became busier than Bucharest central station in the rush hour.

With us moving and knowing the landlord was only interested in his £1500 a month, we had to ride it out until we moved.

We should all be allowed to live in peace and quiet, landlords should have more rules put on them regards the behaviour of their tenants.

I think that makes sense until you try to quantify what is and isn't unreasonable. Maybe somebody should try to do this. So for example, using a washing machine up until 8pm or 9pm is ok but afterwards is not. Music should not exceed x decibels in the neighbours home unless there is prior agreement etc... It has been touched on, but poor home design can also be a factor, with flats or homes having poor sound insulation.
  • Options
    have you thought about moving into one of the flats above her and taking up a noisy hobby?
  • Options
    cafcwill said:

have you thought about moving into one of the flats above her and taking up a noisy hobby?

Trampolining might be a good one - although the height of the ceiling could be a negative factor.
  • Options
    Quote: "For some people it doesn't bother them, but for others it can be an intense source of anxiety. For some, It can really affect their mental health"

This is the issue. I spent time sitting at the bus stop rather than go home. Spent time at home literally crying because of the constant noise. I was lucky as I was renting and could leave easily.

• Options
    Trouble with some motorbikes is they seem to idle at a pitch that bothers you. When the guys up the road from me were having their roof replaced, one of the roofers rode, never heard him arrive, but he'd idle his bike for ages before he left. So about 4ish, for a bout 15 mins this noise would rumble throughout the house and really get to me. Same at another place I lived, a guy in the block next to us (we were on the 5th floor about 100m away) would idle his bike at 5am for about 10 mins, which is ridiculous.

Just starting it up and driving away is fine, even if it wakes you it's not long enough to bring you out of a deep sleep. Do you have to idle a bike before you ride it, or were they just selfish?
  • Options
    What can happen is that it escalates to the point where people are listening for any noise. Most people do have an ability to shut noise out, as long as it is not too loud of course. But if you are listening for it - and that might be because of a previous incident, it will annoy.
  • Options
    I read years ago that a noisy motorcycle going across Paris at night can wake 30,000 people.
    The rise in popularity in recent years of motorcycles for the solo learners, who don't seem intent on learning properly or taking the test, is a nuisance. They seem to make a noise disproportionate to their engine size and twist the accelerator needlessly when riding or when stationary, and they often do it in small groups or pairs.
    I rode a motorbike for years, and looking at the attire of these youngsters I feel they have no protection, and one thing almost guaranteed for a biker is you're going to come off.
    A lot of car drivers play music loudly which can be a drag too.