Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My Neighbour Upstairs Pt2.

Comments

• Options

TBH I wish I'd had the 'guts' to talk to some of my neighbours about their noise but have avoided it.

I think people living close to others should be considerate of others at all times - some people work shifts for example. I tend to go out of my way not to make a noise incase it upsets a neighbour. I was gobsmacked a few years back when a neighbour came round with a list of things we did that annoyed her. They included:

Mr Tatters starting up his motorbike at 4am - could he wheel it up the road and start it outside someone else's house? (He worked shifts).

Mr Tatters chopping wood in the garden.

The hens announcing their eggs - she had taken a video of 3 of them standing outside their coop bock-bocking after the other one had laid her egg.

I didn't know what to say - mainly because this neighbour was (in my view) the most inconsiderate person I've ever lived next to. Most weekends they had parties outside with 'loud pumping music' into the early hours, BBQ every Sunday with the same fecking music and they used to shoot things around the garden with an air rifle (sometimes from the upstairs window). Often found the pellets in our garden too. In exchange for Mr Tatters pushing his bike up the road and not chopping wood when they were eating dinner(?!) they stopped the air rifle stuff.

I guess what I'm saying is that most of us make noise which will annoy others, it's how you deal with it that matters. @sillav nitram I'd be inclined to speak to her about it, as others have said, rather than letting the annoyance build up inside you until you communicate in an 'unhelpful' way (!) Easier said than done - I've never managed.

I did also live below a woman who seemed unable to reach full orgasm. Disappointingly (for us all in the flats that surrounded her) she would start the old bed rocking and ever increasing moaning without finishing. The bed rock would then slow down and speed up again to no avail.

'Fuck right off' would've been a good start
  • Options

TBH I wish I'd had the 'guts' to talk to some of my neighbours about their noise but have avoided it.

I think people living close to others should be considerate of others at all times - some people work shifts for example. I tend to go out of my way not to make a noise incase it upsets a neighbour. I was gobsmacked a few years back when a neighbour came round with a list of things we did that annoyed her. They included:

Mr Tatters starting up his motorbike at 4am - could he wheel it up the road and start it outside someone else's house? (He worked shifts).

The hens announcing their eggs - she had taken a video of 3 of them standing outside their coop bock-bocking after the other one had laid her egg.

I didn't know what to say - mainly because this neighbour was (in my view) the most inconsiderate person I've ever lived next to. Most weekends they had parties outside with 'loud pumping music' into the early hours, BBQ every Sunday with the same fecking music and they used to shoot things around the garden with an air rifle (sometimes from the upstairs window). Often found the pellets in our garden too. In exchange for Mr Tatters pushing his bike up the road and not chopping wood when they were eating dinner(?!) they stopped the air rifle stuff.

I guess what I'm saying is that most of us make noise which will annoy others, it's how you deal with it that matters. @sillav nitram I'd be inclined to speak to her about it, as others have said, rather than letting the annoyance build up inside you until you communicate in an 'unhelpful' way (!) Easier said than done - I've never managed.

I did also live below a woman who seemed unable to reach full orgasm. Disappointingly (for us all in the flats that surrounded her) she would start the old bed rocking and ever increasing moaning without finishing. The bed rock would then slow down and speed up again to no avail.

did you ever consider being a good neighbour and send Mr Tatters round?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    My neighbour, January, for that is her name, is a chatty enough person and we are friendly enough to each other, when our paths cross.

My opinion of her from my own observations and to others who have spoken and had dealings with her, rightly or wrongly is, that she’s a bit of a Diva/Duchess/Prima Donna.

Last week she asked if she could borrow my car, I said if I did, she’d have to insure it but unfortunately I wasn’t prepared too, she seemed a bit miffed.

I think we can all have very rounded views when we’re not affected by any given situation but those views may change and a persons behaviour become out of character when directly affected.

It is good to have your feedback from all perspectives, so thanks.

I will suggest a G2 summit.
  • Options
    Deescalate the situation and try not to get into the mindset where you are waiting for the rowing to start up.

All thid talk of retaliation with speakers might be only offered as a joke but people do do it and it's really unhelpful in resolving the problem.

Fwiw I agree it's unreasonable to be making that much noise into the late evening on a regular basis but don't go down the formal complaint route until you've raised it with them directly. It's the first thing the EHO will ask you.
  • Options
    What @golfaddick really means is if its pre midnight deal with it, after midnight complain but if they happen to be French... get rid of them ;-)
  • Options
    edited October 2017

My neighbour, ***, for that is her name, is a chatty enough person and we are friendly enough to each other, when our paths cross.

My opinion of her from my own observations and to others who have spoken and had dealings with her, rightly or wrongly is, that she’s a bit of a Diva/Duchess/Prima Donna.

Last week she asked if she could borrow my car, I said if I did, she’d have to insure it but unfortunately I wasn’t prepared too, she seemed a bit miffed.

I think we can all have very rounded views when we’re not affected by any given situation but those views may change and a persons behaviour become out of character when directly affected.

She might just not understand how car insurance works here in the UK. Didn't you say she was Canadian? Well, it's common in the USA and I think Canada as well for the policyholder to give their consent to "guest drivers" to borrow their vehicle. so anyone can drive pretty much anything. It's usually permitted under policies and the vehicle is still covered.
    She may just have expected the same situation here. It might be good if you explained that to her and that it would have cost you extra money.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

What @golfaddick really means is if its pre midnight deal with it, after midnight complain but if they happen to be French... get rid of them ;-)

I refer you to the comedian Al Murray and his take on the world - goes round all the countries & gets to Switzerland.

"French to your right, Austrians to your left, Germans above you, Italians below.......you're never sell that flat".
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Ask the landlord if you can move to the flat above her... Sorted!
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Check your tenancy agreement. You may find a clause requiring those on 1st and 2nd floors to have floor coverings. It's fairly standard.

This.

I installed wood flooring in my old 1st floor flat lounge and the lower neighbour mentioned it a few times. When we checked the leasehold agreement, there was nothing in it but as far as I'm aware, all relatively new leases have this built in now.

Isn't this just part of living in an apartment/shared house? In my last place the woman who lived above me would come it at all hours and walk around in her high heels, yeah, it was annoying that's life, people do have to live in their own homes.

Not that long the ago the people below me in my new place came up to complain that my dog was running around the house and annoying them, my answer was pretty simple, she's a dog, she's gonna walk, if you don't like it, move into a house where stranger don't live above you.

As others have said check you lease/tenancy agreement.
    Mine.

No flat shall be occupied or permitted or suffered to be occupied unless all the floors are covered and at all times are and remain covered with a floor covering which renders normal noises arising from occupation inaudible in each and every of the adjacent and neighbouring flats.

Except with the consent of the lessor company no live animal shall be kept in any flat or garage.

There have been two evictions in the last year for breaches of the above.
    I live in China, the rules are quite different here!
    I know. Do you prefer brown or tomato sauce?
    Pretty sure I'm being whooshed here, but both have their time and place ;)
    just a poor taste joke...

i'll go back to work now.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

My neighbour, ***, for that is her name, is a chatty enough person and we are friendly enough to each other, when our paths cross.

Borrow your car? I think that's a bit of a cheek.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017

Last week she asked if she could borrow my car I said if I did, she’d have to insure it but unfortunately I wasn’t prepared too, she seemed a bit miffed.

Should have agreed on the promise that she helped you dispose of the body in the boot...

Or you could say: "Only if I can come dogging with you"
  • Options
    edited October 2017

My neighbour, REDACTED, for that is her name, is a chatty enough person and we are friendly enough to each other, when our paths cross.

Be honest, how many of you have Googled her off the back of this?
  • Options
    edited October 2017

My neighbour, January Erwen Kent, for that is her name, is a chatty enough person and we are friendly enough to each other, when our paths cross.

Good idea... Hadnt thought of that
  • Options
    If that is her real name, I think it's poor putting it on here, although the titles alone of any thread this bloke posts make my skin crawl.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

If that is her real name, I think it's poor putting it on here, although the titles alone of any thread this bloke posts make my skin crawl.

Flag for that bit
  • Options
    If it is her real name, then that's really shoddy.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

agreed, although nothing came up when I googled it ;-))
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Far worse than making a bit of noise at 9pm!!!
  • Options

My neighbour, REDACTED, for that is her name, is a chatty enough person and we are friendly enough to each other, when our paths cross.

To be fair mate, having read further down that she could be Canadian, the first thing I thought was it could be Leroy's mental ex?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Redskin said:

Ok, that’s fair enough re putting her name on here and I’ll delete.

It wasn’t with any wish to expose her but now realise it could.

Rightly or wrongly it’s easy to make assumptions but I do have some perspective on this issue because I actually know her, whereas none of you do,so have got a feel for the type of person she could be.

Again rightly or wrongly I may make assumptions, taking into consideration someone’s social status and sometimes a name can give an indication of that and a person.

We know this to be true, that often someone’s social status gives them the idea, that they have a right to behave in a “us and them” attitude.

At the moment “ it sounds like she’s exercising on a Pogo Stick” if anyone remembers them?

I could add Redskin, that your name could be considered offensive to North American Indians.
  • Options
    Only on Charltonlife..
  • Options

fattmatt said:

This threat has got me really worried. I recently moved into a top floor flat and I'm petrified that there's another forum somewhere that's slating me for Mrs Fattmatt's bedtime vocals.

funnily enough I was about to mention the bird upstairs from me keeps shouting things like "is it hard yet" and "thumb it in Matt, i'm sobering up"
    YYYEESSS that's us!
  • Options
    I'd start any discussion with pleasantries and then "I don't blame you, I blame the floor, and you probably don't even realise I can hear you"

I'd like to think I'm incredibly considerate and have only once had to have a chat with my neighbours about them doing something out of order and we were adult and pleasant enough to work it out
  • Options

Make the neighbour right on the 4am motorbike.
    I would though find out the days his not working and knock on your door, when you answered id ask how you liked being woken up at 4am
  • Options
    You should have offered to have a word with the hens to keep it down!
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Make the neighbour right on the 4am motorbike.
    I would though find out the days his not working and knock on your door, when you answered id ask how you liked being woken up at 4am
    So how does he get to work? Just wheel the bike all the way?!