Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harvey Weinstein

Comments

• Options
    I've done business with Harvey once and it's difficult. His ex head of acquisitions would regularly be asked to be in Harvey's office at 7am during the Cannes Film Festival as it was urgent and Harvey would eventually turn up about 10.30am.

The man loves power and making people know it....
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I've done business with Harvey once and it's difficult. His ex head of acquisitions would regularly be asked to be in Harvey's office at 7am during the Cannes Film Festival as it was urgent and Harvey would eventually turn up about 10.30am.

The man loves power and making people know it....

I imagine he has made a lot of enemies .....
  • Options

This thread is pretty useful. Some of the posts give me a handy list to refer to next time I'm wondering whether someone is a tosspot or not.

Any news for me Leroy?
  • Options
    DA9 said:

DA9 said:

Weinstein is clearly a wrongun in every sense, and I hope they gather enough evidence to put him away for a long long time, but, equally, I would hold anyone in disdain who sat on their hands and did nothing, so to protect their own careers and build their multi million pound lifestyles, whilst other women were allegedly being put through this treatment for years.
    The biggest & worst kept secret in Hollywood apparently, heard an oscars award clip from a few years ago today, when the host said "all you ladies who won, now no longer have to pretend to find Harvey Weinstein attractive"

Those women who did nothing are as culpable IMO

You're about four pages late to this discussion. You don't blame the victims for being abused.
    I'm not, my point is, these actresses now coming forward clearly went through disgusting and distressing acts at his hands. However, many more allegedly have gone through the same over the years because they did not go to the authorities earlier.
    Ask yourself the question why?
    To protect their careers and their multi million pound bank balances.
    I would imagine some of these same actresses were very quick to criticise Trump over his sexist comments and actions as it did not affect them directly, they were happy to do so, once it affects their career they keep schtum, wrong, maybe culpable is too strong a claim, I hope they ALL get justice, but some of them should have acted earlier on what they had experienced and what they knew, too prevent his clear decades of offending and harassment of other women.
    Yes, you are. You may not be meaning to, but you are.
  • Options

I would just like to confirm that I turned Weinstein down when he invited me to his room for a drink. My film career subsequently nosedived....

Jimmys assumption of why she was in his hotel room is quite different from what she said in the Guardian.
    Obviously he shouldn't have tried to grope her but equally obvious is the fact if she new what he was like she should have made her excuses and not gone.
    Yep fair enough - I’ve mixed up stories.
  • Options
    Can I just state that I have never been employed by Mr Weinstein to undertake Brazilians to any of his potential conquests!
  • Options
    edited October 2017

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

Weinstein is clearly a wrongun in every sense, and I hope they gather enough evidence to put him away for a long long time, but, equally, I would hold anyone in disdain who sat on their hands and did nothing, so to protect their own careers and build their multi million pound lifestyles, whilst other women were allegedly being put through this treatment for years.
    The biggest & worst kept secret in Hollywood apparently, heard an oscars award clip from a few years ago today, when the host said "all you ladies who won, now no longer have to pretend to find Harvey Weinstein attractive"

You're about four pages late to this discussion. You don't blame the victims for being abused.
    I'm not, my point is, these actresses now coming forward clearly went through disgusting and distressing acts at his hands. However, many more allegedly have gone through the same over the years because they did not go to the authorities earlier.
    I would imagine some of these same actresses were very quick to criticise Trump over his sexist comments and actions as it did not affect them directly, they were happy to do so, once it affects their career they keep schtum, wrong, maybe culpable is too strong a claim, I hope they ALL get justice, but some of them should have acted earlier on what they had experienced and what they knew, too prevent his clear decades of offending and harassment of other women.
    @DA9 according to the US Justice Bureau, only 15-35 percent of ALL sexual assault is reported.

It's not about protecting bank balances. It's about fear, a misplaced sense of shame and a million other conflicting emotions.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

@DA9 according to the US Justice Bureau, only 15-35 percent of ALL sexual assault is reported.

It's not about protecting bank balances. It's about fear, a misplaced sense of shame and a million other conflicting emotions.
    I am not saying that is the only reason, far from it, for all the reasons and stats given in this thread, but, I guarantee there are some people on his payroll or rely on his business decisions, who have witnessed or been subject to his harassment that kept quiet because of it, remember what I said, some, not all, those are the people I would have an issue with.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Chunes said:

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

I am not saying that is the only reason, far from it, for all the reasons and stats given in this thread, but, I guarantee there are some people on his payroll or rely on his business decisions, who have witnessed or been subject to his harassment that kept quiet because of it, remember what I said, some, not all, those are the people I would have an issue with.
    You have made the same point over and over again and not really read what anyone else has said. Some people who keep quiet do so out of fear or are scared of losing their job - how hard is that for you to understand?

Bullying exists in every workplace whatever form it takes and if you speak out against it then it generally doesn't go very well. Bullies tend to be at the top of a lot of organisations.

Maybe by some miracle you've never witnessed bullying in your life?

It's only really those who were on an equal footing with Weinstein who could have done anything and assuming they knew they deserve criticism as you say.

Trying to speak out if you don't have power or if nobody wants to listen is generally a waste of time.

Society seems to indulge bullies such as Weinstein and they become almost untouchable as excuses are made for them. If you look at any large institution the same characters exist.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This thread is pretty useful. Some of the posts give me a handy list to refer to next time I'm wondering whether someone is a tosspot or not.

yeah .. takes one to know one
  • Options

Has this become the tosspot thread?
  • Options

nah .. just the CLers attempting to make moral judgements and letting off some errr steam
  • Options

nah .. just the CLers attempting to make moral judgements and letting off some errr steam
    Have to start a separate 'Who is a tosspot thread?' so everyone can nominate those they disagree with. I'm hoping for at least 100 nominations!
  • Options

CLers attempting to make moral judgements
    Which is fine, really, if some posters are going to out themselves as sexist or racist or whatever.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/13/harvey-weinstein-allegations-hollywood-enablers

Article listing those in the know about Harvey and those who helped him. Plenty of powerful people involved.....
  • Options

DA9 said:

Chunes said:

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

You have made the same point over and over again and not really read what anyone else has said. Some people who keep quiet do so out of fear or are scared of losing their job - how hard is that for you to understand?
    They are clearly not the people DA9 is talking about though....
  • Options

DA9 said:

Chunes said:

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

They are clearly not the people DA9 is talking about though....
    Exactly
  • Options
    Harvey Weinstein is simply just a man. Not a very nice one, but that's all he is, in reality.

I'm not going to pretend I know how the victims of his company feel, because I don't.

All I will say is, for whatever reason they stayed silent at the time and it is the silence and fear that promoted him into power.

The power he should never have had in the 1st place.

If anyone wants to take responsibility, it should be the people that gave him too much respect and considered him above the law just because he has a high profile money making job.

Society is a wanker.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

No, he should take responsibility. He is responsible for his actions.

He should take responsibility. Not implying that he should not. That's obvious anyway and no need to press on that.

Mostly saying it's also the responsibility of others for actually allowing just one twat of an individual to have such power over other people.
  • Options
    The more & more women that come forward saying he rape them, I can see him taking the coward’s way out.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Lysette Anthony (of Hollyoaks) latest person to come forward. She also reported it to the police.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    thought the same this morning. Jail ---plus years of civil cases---potless. Karma is coming and its coming big---- i wont shed any tears
  • Options

The more & more women that come forward saying he rape them, I can see him taking the coward’s way out.

I thought the same myself
  • Options

thought the same this morning. Jail ---plus years of civil cases---potless. Karma is coming and its coming big---- i wont shed any tears

That’s not closure for the women though. He deserves prison, beatings and being raped himself

• Options
    Swisdom said:

That’s not closure for the women though. He deserves prison, beatings and being raped himself

Charlton Life justice squadron: assemble!

It's one thing beating to a pulp the fuckers who stole your tools (probably fair game), completely another wishing that we punish rape with rape. It doesn't even make sense
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Swisdom said:

It's one thing beating to a pulp the fuckers who stole your tools (probably fair game), completely another wishing that we punish rape with rape. It doesn't even make sense
    For a lot of people, it makes perfect sense.
  • Options

Leuth said:

Swisdom said:

For a lot of people, it makes perfect sense.
    You are correct that for some it makes sense ; not withstanding , it is clearly a nonsense. One would ( by definition) then need to ensure that the person who undertook the “punishment “ rape was raped themselves thus setting in motion a chain of events which would require every person on the planet to both be raped and be a rapist

As I say , in a very literal sense , that is nonsense
  • Options
    Lysette Anthony eh.

Her in Krull , seems like that wasn't the only monster she had trouble with.