Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harvey Weinstein

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2017

Leuth said:

Swisdom said:

thought the same this morning. Jail ---plus years of civil cases---potless. Karma is coming and its coming big---- i wont shed any tears

That’s not closure for the women though. He deserves prison, beatings and being raped himself

Charlton Life justice squadron: assemble!

It's one thing beating to a pulp the fuckers who stole your tools (probably fair game), completely another wishing that we punish rape with rape. It doesn't even make sense
    For a lot of people, it makes perfect sense.
    Ah, the Saudi Arabian logic. Funny, it's not often CL spies Sharia Law as the way forward!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I’ve just read all of this thread and some of the comments are difficult to believe.

People like Weinstein should never be in a position to ‘encourage’ people to do the things that he has. Sadly most people are open to ‘inducements’ to do things, and many people are willing to play ball.

The reality is that if one cannot achieve something by fair/honest means they may be tempted to offer an ‘incentive’.

There have been suggestions that Weinstein ‘threatened’ to take away someone’s career if they didn’t do what he wanted. I suspect that in some cases that it was more likely that Weinstein offered to ‘give’ them a career in the first place if they accommodated him. Maybe some hopefuls actually offered him something in asking him to make their career go in the direction they wanted.

All the time there will be people with the ability to make someone’s life better, there will be people willing to ‘pay’ that individual to make it happen.

My point is that there needs to be fewer people willing to offer favours (not always sexual) to get ahead before this type of scandal stops hitting the headlines. There are, for example, stories of children getting into schools because their parents made a donation. I can see why a school would take a child that was not in their catchment area, or didn’t pass an entrance exam if their Mum was willing to fund a new science block. It doesn’t make it right, but it is understandable.

It’s not the same but people sleeping with their boss to get a job they are not as good at as their competition are kind of like athletes that take drugs. It’s cheating. However, follow this process to completion and in the end everyone has to sleep with the film producer to get a part in the movie.

Those that are victims, and we will, probably, never know the whole story, are well within their rights to keep their experience private. I can think of lots of reasons for not wanting to put themselves in the public domain, or to be subject to the kind of treatment that they might experience. I can also see how they would feel more empowered to do so if they were one of many - it is always the bravest that goes first.

However, I think that those that willingly complied to advance their career, however much they hated the experience, have to accept some of the blame for making Weinstein so able to take advantage of those that felt abused/assaulted.

There is so much money and fame (and all the other things that go with it) in Hollywood that I can see how an individual would be willing to do unspeakable things to join the elite. I also think that there is no way to stop it, sadly.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Swisdom said:

thought the same this morning. Jail ---plus years of civil cases---potless. Karma is coming and its coming big---- i wont shed any tears

That’s not closure for the women though. He deserves prison, beatings and being raped himself

It's one thing beating to a pulp the fuckers who stole your tools (probably fair game), completely another wishing that we punish rape with rape. It doesn't even make sense
    I wasnt serious however what I would say is someone who sexually assaults a person has a problem - someone who has,allegedly, done this many times to many different people over many years deserves to suffer - not get put away in a cushy “prison”

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Leuth said:

Swisdom said:

I wasnt serious however what I would say is someone who sexually assaults a person has a problem - someone who has,allegedly, done this many times to many different people over many years deserves to suffer - not get put away in a cushy “prison”

Eye for an eye isn't the way forward for a civilised world, but if a family member or friend ever suffered a wrongdoing such as rape, I'd find it hard not to want some physical harm to them. Quite hypocritical and selfish of me I know, and I would hope that if something ever did happen that bad, then I would be able to accept the punishment

Punishment and justice is a really hard area to address
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Leuth said:

Swisdom said:

If Weinstein gets banged up for sex crimes in an American prison he's going to be someone's bitch whether some random bloke on an English football forum wishes it or not. I don't see the point in worrying about it either way.
  • Options
    Has James Corden ruined his Hollywood career making jokes about it? Hasn’t gone down well.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Has James Corden ruined his Hollywood career making jokes about it? Hasn’t gone down well.

May be a problem for him ... I don’t think the jokes were that funny anyway but he could get vilified on their press. Possibly too soon.
  • Options
    He's an idiot, awful jokes that were not even funny, and he doesnt have the persona to pull them off. Trying too hard to pull off what Ricky Gervais did at the oscars
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Leuth said:

Swisdom said:

If Weinstein gets banged up for sex crimes in an American prison he's going to be someone's bitch whether some random bloke on an English football forum wishes it or not. I don't see the point in worrying about it either way.
    If he goes to prison, which I think is unfortunately unlikely, it will be a very pleasant "low security" prison. He will not be farming the fields for nothing like the population of Angola in Louisiana, or fighting wildfires like California prisoners.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:

Lysette Anthony (of Hollyoaks) latest person to come forward. She also reported it to the police.

Lysette Anthony in the 80's was an absolute babe.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    So is it pronounced Wine-stine or Wine-steen as the BBC do? Surely as is spelt with two "ein" 's you pronounce them both the same so Wine-stine.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

So is it pronounced Wine-stine or Wine-steen as the BBC do? Surely as is spelt with two "ein" 's you pronounce them both the same so Wine-stine.

Wine-steen. For whatever reason when a name ends with "ein" (usually German Jewish) it's pronounced "steen."
  • Options
    So Jock Stein wasn't German after all?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

So Jock Stein wasn't German after all?

Should have clarified, in the States.
  • Options
    Maybe Winestain from now on!
  • Options
    Courtney Love was apparently blacklisted after warning people about Weinstein at Pam Anderson's roast in 2005. Talent agency CAA banned her from working.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Courtney Love was apparently blacklisted after warning people about Weinstein at Pam Anderson's roast in 2005. Talent agency CAA banned her from working.

stonemuse said:
  • Options
    Hope he just accepts the punishment
    Chunes said:

That's terrible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Woody Allen sounds like another piece of work who has been allowed to get away with his behaviour - if you're rich and powerful somehow you are indulged.

All very grubby....
  • Options

Woody Allen sounds like another piece of work who has been allowed to get away with his behaviour - if you're rich and powerful somehow you are indulged.

All very grubby....

Possibly. Again, as much as the accusations suit a predetermined view of the man, it's far from clear cut as to whether he actually did anything wrong. Marrying a step-adopted-daughter is undoubtedly weird though.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

in classic German pronounciation ,the second letter is the dominant .. so .. ie is ee and ei is iiii .. BUT as in the song 'Let's call the Whole thing off' .. you say eeeether and I say iiiiither
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

All very grubby....

Possibly. Again, as much as the accusations suit a predetermined view of the man, it's far from clear cut as to whether he actually did anything wrong. Marrying a step-adopted-daughter is undoubtedly weird though.
    His adopted daughter has claimed that he abused her and she has spoken out on the subject. Not really sure what she has to gain by doing so...

A lot sounds wrong......
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

All very grubby....

His adopted daughter has claimed that he abused her and she has spoken out on the subject. Not really sure what she has to gain by doing so...

A lot sounds wrong......
    No charges have ever been brought and I gather the testimony of the daughter, Dylan, was deemed untrustworthy or something. I think some experts - shrinks and so forth - were brought in and they decided she had not been molested by Allen. Certainly, Mia Farrow had an axe to grind and I believe the accusations started with her. That said, the way his other adopted kids have disowned him... it's all a bit weird.

I wouldn't want to fight this battle too hard, he may very well be guilty of something. But it's not even close to clear cut, and certainly not an Weinstein level of prolificacy!
  • Options
    edited October 2017

All very grubby....

Just because he married his adopted daughter doesn't make him a piece of work or very grubby. This is 2017 try being less judgemental.
    Well, there goes my monthly 'if I could use ten LOLs on one post'
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

All very grubby....

A lot sounds wrong......
    No charges have ever been brought and I gather the testimony of the daughter, Dylan, was deemed untrustworthy or something. I think some experts - shrinks and so forth - were brought in and they decided she had not been molested by Allen. Certainly, Mia Farrow had an axe to grind and I believe the accusations started with her. That said, the way his other adopted kids have disowned him... it's all a bit weird.

I wouldn't want to fight this battle too hard, he may very well be guilty of something. But it's not even close to clear cut, and certainly not an Weinstein level of prolificacy!
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2014/02/woody-allen-sex-abuse-10-facts

The article doesn't paint him in a good light and he's always seemed to be a bit creepy towards women in terms of his films.
  • Options

All very grubby....

Just because he married his adopted daughter doesn't make him a piece of work or very grubby. This is 2017 try being less judgemental.
    Sorry there’s something very wrong in marrying your step daughter who you then adopted.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

All very grubby....

A lot sounds wrong......

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2014/02/woody-allen-sex-abuse-10-facts

The article doesn't paint him in a good light and he's always seemed to be a bit creepy towards women in terms of his films.
    Indeed, there are plenty of rumours and conjecture. But that article still comes up with nothing concrete.