Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oxford v Charlton | Tue 16 Oct | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Oxford United v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 17th October 2017 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Charles Breakspear (Surrey)

Introduction

If each month in a Football season is treated as a benchmark then October is the month where the league table will finally begin to shake itself into some sort of resemblance for the season to come. For Charlton it appears as though it’ll be a season chasing promotion, whether that’s via the Play-Offs or automatically it remains to be seen, yet what does seem clear is the fact our slight September blip appears to be under control. This Tuesday night will mark the start of another double header away from the Valley, facing two of our current top six rivals… Beginning with a trip to Oxford United, who like last season, are flying high once more.

The Opposition
Name: Oxford United | Manager: Pep Clotet
Ground: Kassam Stadium

Charlton fans will certainly tell you that appointing a foreign manager to the Football League is a risky move, four men from the continent over recent years have tried to take the reigns at Charlton yet have failed. That doesn’t mean though it doesn’t work, just look at Huddersfield and David Wagner as an example – Another side who are reaping the rewards are Oxford United…

Forced to replace Michael Appleton over the summer, the Oxford board decided to take a different route by appointing the unknown: Pep Clotet as manager… At just 40-years of age, the Spaniard has experience within England (having been assistant at Leeds and Swansea) yet this is his first managerial position in four years and based on his start you have to wonder why he’s not been back in Management before now… Just four defeats this season (with a sole loss at home) for the boys from up the hill mean that they’re just two points behind their opponents going into this latest midweek fixture.

The lofty position by Oxford is certainly all the more impressive by the fact that key players were lost over the summer with key players: Chris Maguire, Jonas Lundstrom and Marvin Johnson all departing for pastures new. Yet those incoming have been just as impressive; James Henry included signing on a free from Bolton Wanderers whilst Jack Payne in midfield will be key to an Oxford attack, he was part of the Huddersfield fairy tale from last season and has experience at this level with Southend.

Charlton Team News
Once again the Addicks thankfully came through Saturdays match without any issues meaning that Jason Pearce remains out sole injury worry at present… Mark Marshall too was missing on Saturday (tight calf) which was a surprise to many yet Karl Robinson has confirmed that the winger should be involved at some stage tomorrow evening. Fellow new signing: Ben Reeves continued his return from injury with more minutes on Saturday so we should expect more of the same against Oxford.

Much was made about the height of Jay Dasilva over the summer and whether it would be a hindrance against the more physical teams yet apart from Doncaster on Saturday that hasn’t happened… Despite the issue; Naby Sarr proved capable during his cameo so the Left-Back position shouldn’t be an issue – Tariqe Fosu continued his impressive run by scoring yet again on Saturday… Can it continue, I guess we’ll find out!!

Amos
Solly | Konsa | Bauer | Dasilva
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Clarke | Fosu
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Jackson | Aribo | Reeves | Marshall | Dodoo

Prediction
With Oxford being in their second season since returning to this level you have to wonder how difficult this game will be yet our opponents wont be a walkover and see a tight match… Like last month we now enter a double header with two challenging games, defeat in either match will leave a lot of work later in the season!!

Comments

• Definitely take a draw tonight, oxford are a good side who go above us should they win.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Definitely take a draw tonight, oxford are a good side who go above us should they win.

Though I can't see anyone scoring tonight I think it may be for different reasons to yours.
    Haha yes good point, we would be doing very well to get any points tonight!
  • When I told my Oxford supporting mate that we only had one forward, he replied "Well that's one more than us!".

Match means more than most to me, but reckon we could go down here.
  • draw

Oxford United 1 v CAFC 1
  • I'd take a draw. I imagine he'll play the same starting eleven unless he wants to rest Solly's knees or thinks that Reeves is ready to start, as I thought Clarke was a bit anonymous on Saturday and has had a slight injury himself.
  • I'll be in the Oxford end with my son in law. Be happy with a draw, but the deal is whichever of us finishes highest in the league will decide which ground my 4 month old grandson first get taken to.
  • If we can get 4 points out of the next 2 games, we'll definitely begin to look like promotion contenders. I think we could win this one and draw with Bradford, 2 -1 Charlton , Big Mac and KFC.
  • Will be a tough one tonight. Fancy a draw with a few goals 2-2
  • Sponsored links:

• Meant tomorrow night
  • Are tickets available on the night?
  • Unbeaten in these two away games and I'd be happy, fancy us to win one but not sure which, hopefully 1-2.
  • Going to this so expect a 2-0 defeat....drizzle from 6pm but a great steak and Kidney Pie and a Fosu hat trick may brighten the evening
  • Thought Solly improved after a slightly dodgy start on Saturday but he can't play twice in four days. Konsa at right-back with Sarr alongside Bauer please.
  • I would be surprised if Clarke starts with, what must be an ongoing injury problem, I would expect Reeves to start in the middle with Fosu and Holmes wide and Clarke to come on for Reeves in the second half when he tires. 0-1 to keep our wins going
  • Sarr and Reeves in for solly and Clarke.2-0 Charlton good result COYA
  • Anyone know what parking is like around the ground?
  • redman said:

Anyone know what parking is like around the ground?

You can park right outside the ground but can take a bit of time to get out.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017
    0-1 Magennis 89mins
  • Fosu (Bottom right corner) and Magennis (header straight at the keeper) 2-0
  • redman said:

You can park right outside the ground but can take a bit of time to get out.
    thanks
  • 1-1 be a tough game and a good point against an in-form team!
  • redman said:

there is a big housing estate right near the ground .. long curved main road .. last time I was there I got parked up OK but 1/2 mile+ from the ground .. I'd check googlemaps and get the lie of the land .. getting away was OK .. this was on a saturday
  • The mob in charge has dampened my enthusiasm for Charlton, but I will be there tomorrow with my Oxford supporting friend after some pre-match beers and some Thai food. 0-0, I reckon.
  • Think the plan was to rest solly and bring in sarr, hope that the clean sheet on Saturday doesn't change that as solly hasn't played well when asked to play twice in four days.
    Reeves didn't look match fit so I don't expect any other changes
    Think this one is more winnable than Saturday, if we get it right I think we win, 1-2, Holmes to score both
  • Would be happy with 3 out of 6 in the next 2 games.
    Will be backing us again to score 4 or more
    So 2-4 for me